Premium Hatchbacks Vs Compact Sedans Vs Crossovers Vs Compact SUVs: Your Choice?

Premium Hatchbacks Vs Compact Sedans Vs Crossovers Vs Compact SUVs: Your Choice?

• Premium Hatchbacks

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Compact Sedans

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Crossovers

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Compact SUVs

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

The Premium Hatchbacks, Compact Sedans, Crossovers & Compact SUV segment in India has the most volatile buyer base and the most comparative buying pattern in our market. With the competitive pricing pattern and multiple choices across these segments it is never easy for a buyer here to make an instant decision. Each OEM catering in the above segments has got a strong product on offer in our market which makes the choice even more difficult. So, If you have to make the best selection for yourself in these segments then which segment according to you will be the one? According to you all, which of the above segment offers the most Value for Money options?

Regards

Akash

Most people in Indian metro cities prefer to have car which can do everything from tackling craters (not only potholes), gliding overs unmarked speed-breakers and wade through stagnant water on our roads.

Most of them have a preference of ease of entry and exit in car over the handling aspects. They will pick a car which has the potential, and can satisfy their desire of having a big car.

Bigger and heavier still gets more importance than the one with crumple zones.

Keeping all such things in mind, I voted for Compact SUVs. [:)]

Most people in Indian metro cities prefer to have car which can do everything from tackling craters (not only potholes), gliding overs unmarked speed-breakers and wade through stagnant water on our roads.

Most of them have a preference of ease of entry and exit in car over the handling aspects. They will pick a car which has the potential, and can satisfy their desire of having a big car.

Bigger and heavier still gets more importance than the one with crumple zones.

Keeping all such things in mind, I voted for Compact SUVs. [:)]
I agree totally to this point,just adding a bit more ,that is Compact SUV bridges the gap nowadays between a premium hatchback and premium sedan in features.Noteworthy examples maybe Creta,Ecosport,Vitara Brezza,Duster(Almost muscular in SUV).Need to appreciate Ford first ,as it was the first brand which brought over Ecosport,which changed the market totally in late 2010-early 2011.Also need to appreciate TATA in bringing the Nexon ,as it is the cheapest crossover compact SUV (Starting at 6 lakhs range)-with ABS,EBD standard.Thus ,again giving tough competition to rivals.

At present I use the last gen Ford Figo Diesel. The car has spoiled me in a few ways.
1. The boot space is quite good , and in most cases better than most hatchbacks and compact SUVs.
2. Handling - The compact SUVs cannot match the steering and the handling of this car.
3. Rear seat space - The large rear glass and the decent legroom is something I miss in most hatchbacks today and also in many compact SUVs.
I am not a big fan of the premium features, like push button start, auto headlamps and touch screens, but one feature I really want in my next car is cruise control and a better ground clearance. Here I am not looking for huge ground clearances like the SUVs, but a decent enough ground clearance to avoid scraping in our indian roads. I do not want to sacrifice the handling for the ground clearance. Among the offerings, very few cars are offering cruise control, other than compact SUVs and the S Cross. The next car that impressed me is the Ecosport, but the small rear glass makes my family feel claustrophobic.
I kind of voted for the crossovers, only keeping the S Cross in mind, though I would have gone for the new Figo, if they add cruise control in the feature list.

Voted for premium hatchbacks. Too many compromises in the other options for me.

Compact Sedan - the nagging feeling that I bought this because i could not afford a full length sedan

Crossover - embarrassing feeling of being in a hatchback on stilts and the feeling of being conned by paying more for what is effectively a hatch

Compact SUV - Doesn't satisfy my urge of 'king of the world' feeling that I get from a full blooded SUV. There is always a tinge of dissatisfaction.

Voted for premium hatchbacks. Too many compromises in the other options for me.

Compact Sedan - the nagging feeling that I bought this because i could not afford a full length sedan

Crossover - embarrassing feeling of being in a hatchback on stilts and the feeling of being conned by paying more for what is effectively a hatch

Compact SUV - Doesn't satisfy my urge of 'king of the world' feeling that I get from a full blooded SUV. There is always a tinge of dissatisfaction.
Pretty nice perspective there!
But don't you think that Compact SUV is a different segment altogether?
I agree to your POV regarding a Compact sedan being a chopped version of its full length sedan. And a Crossover being a hatchback on stilts.
But Compact SUV is a different segment. Except the erstwhile Quanto, we donot have anything under this segment which has an elderly (read, complete/non-chopped!!) SUV in lineup. Do you agree?

@SachinOnTop
I agree with you. To my knowledge there are no compact SUVs (read <4m) other than NuvoSport. I think Quanto goes by that name now. I am not sure.

@Akash1886
Can you be kind enough to give us a list of Compact SUVs that you had in mind when you put the poll

Thanks

Voted compact SUV but feel Crossover and Compact SUV should be 1 category. Own a compact SUV with a good engine. My reasons for my vote.

1. Like the Higher seating.
2. Have had experience thanks to superior water wading capability my car went on roads other 4 wheelers shut down due to hydrolock.
3. The weight a planted feeling on Highways.
4. Have not problems of scarping the bottom on steep approach angles, big speed breakers or potholes.

Offcourse due to heavier getting lower mileage along with more Drag in the body shape, plus a low GC Sedan is more fun on twisting and curving roads.

Last edited:

Top Bottom