Tata Motors Flags Off Tigor EVs From Sanand Plant

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
N Chandrasekaran, Chairman, Tata Sons and Tata Motors flags off the Tigor EVs from Sanand plant

Image 1.jpg
Tata Motors today rolled out the first batch of the TIGOR Electric Vehicle (EV) manufactured for the Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) order. In the image, Mr. Ratan N Tata, Chairman Emeritus, Tata Group and Mr. N Chandrasekaran, Chairman, Tata Sons and Tata Motors flagging off the first batch of TIGOR EVs from the Sanand plant.

Image 2 (003).jpg
Roll out of the first batch of TIGOR Electric Vehicle (EV) at the Sanand plant, marking a significant milestone in the Tata Motors’ readiness to build the future of e-mobility.

Image 3.jpg
Mr. Guenter Butschek, CEO & MD, Tata Motors accompanied by senior leadership team, drives off the first TIGOR EV post the ceremonial flag off at the Sanand plant today​

Mumbai, December 6, 2017: Tata Motors today rolled out the first batch of the Tigor Electric Vehicle (EV) at the hands of N Chandrasekaran, Chairman, Tata Sons and Tata Motors, from its Sanand facility in Gujarat. Present on this momentous occasion were Ratan N Tata, Chairman Emeritus, Tata Group, Guenter Butschek, CEO & MD, Tata Motors and members of the Tata Motors Executive Committee. The Tigor EVs are being manufactured for the Indian Government’s prestigious order of electric vehicles from the Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL), an entity under the Ministry of Power.

Flagging off the batch of electric vehicles, Mr. N Chandrasekaran, Chairman, Tata group said, “This occasion is a significant milestone for Tata Motors and a proud moment for the entire team. As we work together to build the future of e-mobility in India, I am confident that our customers will respond very favourably to this electric model. I congratulate the entire Tata Motors team for this commendable achievement and wish them the very best as they go forward on this journey.”

According to Mr. Guenter Butschek, CEO & MD, Tata Motors, “It is indeed a momentous occasion for us as we have shown an exemplary teamwork spirit to overcome all challenges in delivering this project. I also recognize the invaluable contribution made by Electra EV as part of this team. With Tigor EV, we have begun our journey in boosting e-mobility and offering a full range of electric vehicles to the Indian customers. This tender has effectively paved way for connecting our aspirations in the e-mobility space with the vision of the Government.”

Tata Motors had qualified as L1 bidder in the midst of stiff competition and won the tender of 10,000 electric cars floated by EESL in September 2017. For phase 1, Tata Motors is required to deliver 250 Tigor EVs, for which it has received a LoA. For an additional 100 cars, the LoA is expected to be issued shortly by EESL. The electric drive systems for this prestigious order have been developed and supplied by Electra EV – a company established to develop and supply electric drive systems for the automotive sector.

Tata Motors is committed to the Government’s vision for electric vehicles by 2030 and will work in a collaborative manner to facilitate faster adoption of electric vehicles and to build a sustainable future for India.
Regards

Akash

Re: Tata Motors Flags off the Tigor EVs from Sanand Plant

Do we have any information of what's under the hoods of these EVs?

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Do we have any information of what's under the hoods of these EVs?
Once when these cars make way to the dealers then we can see & know whats there under the hood. Really want to drive one of these. A very good move by TML!

Regards

Akash

Finally, the competition is up for Mahindra Electric. Great job by Tata to have a quick turn around and get vehicles rolling.
This whole instance of winning the bid has been a shocker, when Tata, which did not have any electric vehicle in the market, bidding for it. Then, them winning by quoting a shocking price, without even getting the vehicle ready, and now getting it rolling in time, every step is an achievement by Tata.
This surely has generated a lot of interest, and I can see many of my colleagues following this in hopes that they can move to an electric car in a year or two.
Hopefully, we will also see more charging stations and an infra to support these cars, which will encourage more people to go electric.
Meanwhile, government should also increase focus on producing more clean electricity by reducing the dependence on coal and using other cleaner ways to generate power.

kkn13

Suspended

Good move !! Much better than Mahindra E2O or even Tata Nano/Jayem Neo
Finally an EV thats worth recommending

Great Move :)

Deliveries on time by Tata - Wow
Happy to see and especially feeling proud that I was part of the process which is now becoming reality by every new launch, just a clarity - I have no relations with EV and not even with Tata

Now coming to the actual car - critic comments (in a positive manner)

The parts are from Tiago, not Tigor
Only Body shell and necessary parts are of Tigor
Base model no frills, bells & whistles
Plain White color
Under four meter dimensions

Above mentioned things played a huge role which made it the cheapest(Read VFM) EV sedan in the world.
Another first tag on the hat of TML [clap]

Great Going Tata! God speed

Last edited:
Congrats TML. Really happy to see these white beauties rolling out of Sanand. Equally happy to see Ratan Tata in the picture. This shows how important this launch was. You people saw the writing on the flag - "Tata Motors ready for e- mobility" a straight take on M&M ? [glasses]

Now I have a question. What is TML's R&D in electric drivetrain since they are sourcing it from Electra EV something similar to TML sourcing infotainment system from HK. Just curious.

One more, is this Tigor XT variant's body shell ? Are those alloy wheels ?

Last edited:
XE variant has 13" wheels IIRC. I zoomed the second pic and looks like they are diesel version's 14" alloys. NDTV reports EV badge on the grill is illuminated.

Thread Starter #11

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I zoomed the second pic and looks like they are diesel version's 14" alloys. NDTV reports EV badge on the grill is illuminated.
Now I am even more eager to check one of these out! Alloy wheels if offered then really a masterclass act there by TML!

Regards

Akash

I am quite curious to know whats under the hood. Have they placed batteries and the plumbing for brakes and windshield wiper fluids? Or is it empty like in the Tesla?

In the Indica EV that was shown a few years back, there was still a radiator and the motor was in front. As this is not built from scratch, I guess it would be difficult to place the battery pack on the base of the car. Had that been done, it would lead to lower center of gravity, and better handling.

Good start but not worth retail sales without super charger networks. Also won't be exciting to drive.
ARAI ‘leaked’ homologation document showed that Tigor’s Max Power is at 55km/h speed. The max power produced at that speed is 29.8kW (about 40 hp). According to EESL tender, the sedan should have a range of 130 km on a full charge. Assuming Tigor gives this range of 130 km on full charge, you can drive the car at 55km/h for around 2.3 hrs.(130/55).
EESL also specifies that the car should be fully charged in 6 hrs and should have a fast charge option of 90 minutes. So if you fast charge for 1.5 hrs, you can run the car for 2.3 hrs or you can charge for 6 hours overnight and run for 2.3 hrs. You might think running at lower speed will extend the range, but the ‘Max 30 minute Power test’ shows Tigor EV produces average 12 kW (16 hp) at 45 km/h. This power is too low (just 40% of max) and the range is reached by spending 58 minutes more, so better to drive at 55 km/hr. Better that the Government is the guinea pig than the retail customer. Hope to get good power and range in retail version of Tigor EV.

Last edited:
Good start but not worth retail sales without super charger networks. Also won't be exciting to drive.
ARAI ‘leaked’ homologation document showed that Tigor’s Max Power is at 55km/h speed. The max power produced at that speed is 29.8kW (about 40 hp). According to EESL tender, the sedan should have a range of 130 km on a full charge. Assuming Tigor gives this range of 130 km on full charge, you can drive the car at 55km/h for around 2.3 hrs.(130/55).
EESL also specifies that the car should be fully charged in 6 hrs and should have a fast charge option of 90 minutes. So if you fast charge for 1.5 hrs, you can run the car for 2.3 hrs or you can charge for 6 hours overnight and run for 2.3 hrs. You might think running at lower speed will extend the range, but the ‘Max 30 minute Power test’ shows Tigor EV produces average 12 kW (16 hp) at 45 km/h. This power is too low (just 40% of max) and the range is extended by just 580 meters so better to drive at 55 km/hr. Better that the Government is the guinea pig than the retail customer. Hope to get good power and range in retail version of Tigor EV
I guess it's based completely on assumptions , let's wait for official spec release before jumping into conclusions .

It's a proud moment for Indian Automotive Industry much like the beetle moment in Germany or Jeep moment in USA !

I guess it's based completely on assumptions , let's wait for official spec release before jumping into conclusions .

It's a proud moment for Indian Automotive Industry much like the beetle moment in Germany or Jeep moment in USA !
The main assumption is that the battery range of 130 km is as per EESL specification. I don't think any manufacturer will supply product much above the required specifications. but as I said, it is a good start

Top Bottom