Maruti Suzuki Outlines Electric Vehicle Plans

Thread Starter #1
Maruti Suzuki is looking out for a viable Electric vehicle road map in the coming months and will fall in line with the ambitious plans stipulated by the government.

SUZUKI- TOYOTA alliance will be full blown in this development with Toyota providing the EV know how .
The already announced set up of local manufacturing of Li-ion batteries will control the cost of the EV's.

The wide network of Maruti suzuki will provide necessary charger/super-charger as standard and Maruti Suzuki can also invest in having its own mega network of charging points across the country to offer a quick charge solution.

Indicating a shift in stance, the country's biggest car maker, Maruti Suzuki, says it will not hold back investments in electric vehicles (EVs).

It says it will start work on these as soon as consumer preference for EVs is visible.

Link

Thread Starter #2
Suzuki To Manufacture Electric Vehicles in India

Suzuki Motor Corporation, the parent company of Maruti Suzuki, and Denso along with Toshiba will jointly invest USD 180 million (Rs 1,135 crore) for setting up a battery pack ( Lithium-ion) manufacturing plant in Gujarat that will start production in 2020.

s.JPG

DJsHKbtVwAAbk4p.jpg

This will be India’s first lithium-ion battery manufacturing plant. It will cater to Maruti Suzuki as well Toyota’s range of electric vehicles of the future. The battery packs will be sold to other original equipment manufacturers, too.

Suzuki to make electric and hybrid cars in India for exports initially.

The lithium-ion battery manufacturing plant will manufacture and supply EV batteries to the Suzuki plant in Gujarat, which will manufacture electric and hybrid cars for exports. Given the heightened focus on all-electric mobility in India by the year 2030, Maruti Suzuki India will gain sizeably from this all-Japanese JV
Chairman of Suzuki Motor Corporation:
the battery making facility will not just cater to the Indian market but will address the needs of overseas markets as well. The battery packs will also be used for hybrid cars as well.
The battery plant is housed within the mega car making facility owned by Suzuki which at present makes 250,000 units every year. Investment is being made for increasing this capacity to 750,000 units a year through three plants. A fourth plant is also under discussion taking the total eco-capacity to 1 million from the Gujarat production site.

Link

Last edited:
Re: Suzuki To Manufacture Electric Vehicles in India

Is there any way to know what kind of Lithium ion batteries Suzuki will be investing upon. I read an article recently that the Lithium Iron Phosphate is a very good battery which charges quickly as well as gives a very good range. Also they have a better long term life than conventional Li ion Battery.

However I don't think Mahindra e2o or any other future electric vehicle in India is/will be using this battery in their vehicles. I am not sure why is that.

ByD China is using these batteries in their cars and they estimated that the cost saving are to the tune of $75000 as compared to used of fossil fuel vehicle after usage of 5 years. Also the battery can be charged to 80% in 15 mins and to 100% in 40 mins. The degradation is also a lot slower than conventional Li ion batteries making it a very good battery to be used in electric vehicles.

I hope Indian Automakers look forward to usage of this battery rather than the conventional Li ion Battery.

Last edited:
Suzuki Worried About India's Electric Shift!

When lazy R&D kicks back
Suzuki Motor Corp CEO Toshihiro Suzuki is worried that the company's volumes in India are so large that they could be caught flat-footed if there was a sudden shift towards electrification.

osamu-suzuki-toshihiro-suzuki_625x365_81435671851.jpg

Neither Suzuki Motor Corp nor Maruti Suzuki India make battery-electric cars at the moment​
But while strong sales of gasoline-powered vehicles in India drove a record quarterly operating profit at Japan's No. 4 automaker and prompted a 25 percent upgrade to its full-year profit forecast to 300 billion yen, which would be an all-time high, CEO Suzuki said he was "anxious" about the future.

"Our results may be what they are, but they don't offer me much comfort," he told reporters at a results briefing.
Suzuki earlier this year announced it was in talks with Toyota Motor Corp to trade expertise in parts supplies and R&D as the compact car maker has admitted it has struggled to keep up with rapid developments in non-petrol engines and self-driving cars. A rapid tightening of Indian regulations on petrol vehicles could have a big impact on Suzuki, which generates roughly half of its global sales in the fast-developing country. In the three months to September, sales in India jumped 19.4 percent to 457,000 units.

Last edited:
Re: Suzuki Worried About India's Electric Shift !

No electricity in rural areas and for farmers but govt planing for electric cars.

No electricity in rural areas and for farmers but govt planing for electric cars.
India's crude oil production flat in September, import bill rises 21%

The country’s gross petroleum imports in value terms increased a whopping 21 per cent to $7.5 billion in September as compared to the corresponding month a year ago.

Cumulatively, gross petroleum import bill increased 17 per cent to $43.4 billion in the first six months of 2017-18 as compared to the corresponding period last year on the back of increased international crude oil prices.
We aren't talking about the next day , but we are looking forward a better tommorow so that our economy and progress aren't dependent on oil prices or dollar rates ,isn't that good ?
If we stand with that vision beyond politics and lobbying it's quite achievable !

Also on the electricity source we aren't gonna power all those cars with the current available capacity , we can rely on atomic power plants like that in Tuticorin,TN for instance , also other sustainable and renewable energy sources which are increasingly using even now !

Tesla has got some cool energy storage and utilisation products too other than the e-cars !

Spot on, you are. Though, Indian Government IS addressing this BASIC requirement of Farmers, farmers still struggle. THAT alone should not be reason for NOT going the Electric Cars way.

In my idiotic estimate, about 40 to 50 percent of Pvt Cars in Cities are driven within 50 km of City Limits (save for the occasional outstation trip). The "Range" achieved by Electric Cars is ideal for these people, with overnight-battery-charging. As cars in Cities outnumber those in rural areas, a 20-30% Shift to E-Cars will have a very positive impact on "petroleum imports".

This is PURE Forex saved which can be invested to harvest Clean Energy like Wave / Tidal Energy. The total available potential of wave energy in India along the 6000 Km of India’s coast is estimated to be about 40,000 MW – these are preliminary estimates (link here). THIS is much more than the power generated by ALL the Nuclear Power Plants in India (link here). Correct me if I am wrong (as I have a feeling that I have misunderstood something on this topic).

Day or Night, waves will continue to deliver. It is time Indian govt spends more on this "Wave/Tidal Energy to Electricity".

I think, 15-20 years from NOW, Electric cars will be majority in India.

Spot on, you are. Though, Indian Government IS addressing this BASIC requirement of Farmers, farmers still struggle. THAT alone should not be reason for NOT going the Electric Cars way.
This is PURE Forex saved which can be invested to harvest Clean Energy like Wave / Tidal Energy. The total available potential of wave energy in India along the 6000 Km of India’s coast is estimated to be about 40,000 MW – these are preliminary estimates (link here). THIS is much more than the power generated by ALL the Nuclear Power Plants in India (link here). Correct me if I am wrong (as I have a feeling that I have misunderstood something on this topic).

Day or Night, waves will continue to deliver. It is time Indian govt spends more on this "Wave/Tidal Energy to Electricity".
Tidal energy seems to be a good renewable energy option but it is not cost effective at all. The major cost component is barrages. It’s like building medium sized dams where ever you need tidal energy . The turbine needs to be 1000 times stronger than wind turbine due to high density of water. These turbines have to be installed in the sea. The deeper we go, the higher will be the cost. After doing all this, the Betz efficiency limit stops the rotational energy derived from flow to 59% . Moreover, every time tide angle changes, the power drops to Cos^3 x Power. So the reverse tide which is on average 35 degrees different will reduce power by Cos(35)^3 or by 54.96%. All these aforementioned reasons are why tidal power is not a major source of energy.

Toyota & Suzuki Motor Ink MoU To Introduce EVs in India By 2020

No more excuses from Suzuki !

Toyota Motor Corporation and Suzuki Motor Corporation have confirmed and inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on moving forward a cooperative structure for introducing electric vehicles (EVs) in the Indian market in around 2020.
The agreement stems from the two companies having concluded on February 6 this year an MoU on beginning considerations for business partnership, after which they began discussing, among other topics, the dissemination of vehicle electrification technologies in India.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Update

NEW DELHI: India’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki will start making its first affordable electric vehicle (EV) by 2020 based on technology from parent Suzuki Motor, ahead of products developed in partnership with Toyota.

“There is an MoU (memorandum of understanding) for technical support from Toyota to Suzuki Motor on EVs,” Ayukawa said. “In addition, Suzuki is also working on its own EV technology development. From these combined efforts, we will see EVs getting launched in India in 2020 and beyond.”
Link

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom