Ford EcoSport Facelift 2018 Launched in India (Coverage Pg: 34)

Re: Ford EcoSport Facelift 2017 Exclusive Spyshots

I don't know about others as looks are subjective but for me the charm is gone as those sleek headlights was looker.

And by the entry of Tata Nexon in the segment with great features and amazing engine figures, the fight is tough for ecosport now.[:)]

I really like the looks, some reports of 1.5 3cyl Engine coming to India, but I guess it must be detuned cause the Brazil website says it gives 13.1 per liter in the Ethonol fuel used in Brazil which should translate to 15Km petrol. With Ethonol it produces 159nm torque at 4500 rpm, with Gasoline(petrol) it produces 153nm torque at 4500 rpm, 137hp with Ethanol and 130 HP with Petrol at 6500 rpm. I guess for India launch it should be able to give atleast 17-18 Km in standard test conditions.

Last edited:

I really like the looks, some reports of 1.5 3cyl Engine coming to India, but I guess it must be detuned cause the Brazil website says it gives 13.1 per liter in the Ethonol fuel used in Brazil which should translate to 15Km petrol. With Ethonol it produces 159nm torque at 4500 rpm, with Gasoline(petrol) it produces 153nm torque at 4500 rpm, 137hp with Ethanol and 130 HP with Petrol at 6500 rpm. I guess for India launch it should be able to give atleast 17-18 Km in standard test conditions.
Here are english translated reviews of Ecosport 1.5 Petrol AT
Test: new EcoSport improves little with 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine
Indian engine responds best at low revs and works well with new automatic gearbox

In common, SE and Freestyle bring the new engine 1.5 12v three-cylinder Dragon family. It is unprecedented, designed for emerging markets as a more alternative to EcoBoost 1.0 complex, used in Europe, which uses turbocharger and direct injection to generate 125 hp and 17.3 mkgf of torque.

The 1.5 TiVCT not have any of that . Delivers more power but less torque. It's 137 hp and 16.2 mkgf. It is 91.5 cv / liter, the highest specific power between the aspirated engines sold in the country.

New 1.5 TiVCT three-cylinder is imported from India, but will soon be nationalized .
Imported from India at the outset, it has variable valve control on the intake and exhaust valves (varying only the opening time without changing the flow), such as the 1.6 four-cylinder 131 hp and 16.1 mkgf of torque that replaces .

But it goes further: it also features individual ignition coils, integrated manifold intake manifold, variable oil pump, centralized combustion chamber candles (to enhance firing) and decentralized crankshaft (10mm), which reduces friction during The rise of the pistons against the walls of the cylinders - click here to know more about it.

Freestyle version has 16 "rim wheels and unpainted door handles (Disclosure / Ford)
Ford offers a five-speed manual transmission, but the EcoSport Freestyle we tested was equipped with the new six-speed automatic transmission. It is the 6F15, a variant sized for less torque of the same Fusion gearbox. It replaces the automated dual-clutch Powershift.

The marriage between the two is good. Actually even better than with the larger engine. The Echo has agile outputs and quick responses to the accelerator pedal. The gears were staggered to take advantage of the torque and power of the new engine.

Freestyle version has all black interior (Disclosure / Ford)
But reductions by kickdown raise the engine spin enough to show how the new engine can look rough and noisy. Above 3,500 rpm, neither the reinforced sound insulation can shield the cabin from the noise generated by the three-cylinder engine. The old 1.6 did not have the same strength at low revs, but it was softer.

On the test track, the new 1.5 had a near technical draw with the 1.6 tested almost two years ago. It is worth stressing that both were on the track with 7,000 km rolled.

EcoSport Freestyle 1.6 4 cyl. Powershift
EcoSport Freestyle 1.5 3 cyl. AT6
Acceleration from 0 to 100 km / h 12.6 s 12.6 s
Acceleration from 0 to 1,000 m 34.3 s - 150.6 km / h 34.6 s - 145.6 km / h
Return of 40 to 80 km / h (in D) 5.5 s 5.7 sec
Retraction of 60 to 100 km / h (in D) 7.2 s 7.3 sec
Retake from 80 to 120 km / h (in D) 9.8 sec 10.2 s
Braking of 60/80/120 km / ha 0 16.7 / 29.9 / 69.2 m 17 / 28.6 / 66 m
Urban consumption 11,1 km / l 10,6 km / l
Road consumption 14.2 km 14.6 km / l
Internal noise (neutral / maximum RPM) 40.8 / 73.5 dBA 41.9 / 64.9 dBA
Engine speed at 100 km / h in 5th gear 2,500 rpm 2,200 rpm
Steering wheel 2.8 turns 2,5 laps
The 1.6 engine takes little advantage in performance. In urban consumption, the Eco 1.5 registered consumption 0.5 km / l higher. On the other hand, the new configuration takes advantage of road consumption - the engine speed at 100 km / h is lower, which helps explain the brand.

Compared to the competition, performance and fuel consumption figures are very close to direct rivals such as the Hyundai Crete 1.6 and Nissan Kicks, and significantly better than the Renault Duster - read the comparison between them in the August edition of FOUR WHEELS .

Back seat is bigger, but legroom has not grown (Disclosure / Ford)
Ford says it has reworked the sound insulation and brake system. If the braking has improved markedly, the same can not be said about the internal noise: only improvement was noticed when the car stopped.

The new 1.5 did not bring as much breath to the Ford EcoSport as the 2.0 engine with direct injection. On the other hand, there are more palpable improvements in the interior, such as the large comfortable seats and the rubberized panel.

Ford EcoSport Titanium 2018
The dashboard and steering wheel are the same as the Focus, but in Eco there are butterflies behind the wheel (Release / Ford)
The electrical steering and suspension assembly received special attention from the engineering department. Now, the EcoSport offers the drive-by car dynamics, with precise steering and balanced body responses. This, even with the highest driving position of the segment.

Data sheet - Ford EcoSport Freestyle 1.5 AT6

Price: R $ 86,490
Engine: flex, front, transverse, 3 cylinders, aspirated, 12V, 1,498 cm3, 137 hp, 16,2 mkgf with ethanol; 130 hp, 15.6 mkgf with gasoline
Gearbox: automatic, 6-speed, front-wheel drive
Suspension: McPherson at the front and torsion axle at the rear
Brakes: ventilated discs, drum (rear)
Direction: electric
Wheels and tires: 205/60 R17 (front / rear)
Dimensions: length, 426.9 cm; Width, 176.5 cm; Height, 169.3 cm; Between-axles, 251.9 cm; Weight, 1.359 kg; tank; 52 1; Trunks, 356 l

More videos
https://youtu.be/BZGXWXshmus
Here one with the dual tone interiors thats likely to be launched in India
https://youtu.be/EuKDXHldkz0
Here one can read the Brazilian comparison between Ecosport 1.5 Petrol AT vs Honda WRV 1.5 iVTEC CVT
New Ford EcoSport Freestyle faces Honda WR-V
With new 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine, intermediate version of the Eco pick WR-V EXL, top

Since the launch of EcoSport in 2003, almost everything has changed in the compact sports-utility segment. Several new rivals came and Ford, although it bravely resisted, eventually lost market hegemony.

Now the pioneer has received a redesign on the second generation that includes more modern look, neat interior and new engines. The change did so well that the "veteran" debuts with victory against the WR-V.

Launched earlier this year, the Honda-derived Fit has dimensions and prices similar to Ford, but is due in equipment and refinement even in the top version, EXL. Superior in these issues, EcoSport compensates the slightly higher price in the configuration chosen for the comparative, FreeStyle (intermediate) with the new 1.5 engine.

Tabulated at $ 86,490, the Ford lavishes standard items. There are pampering like digital air-conditioning and leather-lined seats, as well as a colorful multimedia center. The abundance of the car made in Camaçari (BA) contrasts with the simplicity of the WR-V, which has a table of R $ 83,400 and is produced in Sumaré (SP).

If it is not "franciscan", Honda does not want the quality of the finishing materials and the acoustic coating, which is not consistent with a car of this price range.

Ford has done its homework and has greatly improved the cab of its utility, which even has a rubberized dashboard and a fairly complete dashboard, similar to more expensive models and much better than the Honda.

The WR-V even brings multimedia center with camera in the rear (that produces images similar to those of a magical eye), but less complete than the system of the EcoSport. The Honda also must air bag to the knees of the driver, present in the rival, as well as the important control of stability (ESP), another unacceptable fault in cars of more than $ 80 thousand.

At least, the WR-V counter attacks more efficiently on space utilization than the EcoSport. The Honda takes the occupants of the back seat better and has an ingenious second-row folding system, which has a wide range of configurations.

The WR-V's trunk is also slightly larger, at 363 liters, compared to 356 of its rival. In addition, the Ford's luggage rack is louder than deep, making the luggage have to be stacked to make better use of the space.

Engines
Also new in EcoSport Freestyle is the 1.5 three - cylinder engine and 137 hp. The version features automatic six-speed gearbox. The WR-V's propeller is also 1.5, but four-cylinder and 116-hp. The transmission is automatic CVT.

New engine gives extra brightness to the EcoSport
The replacement of the old 1.6 engine by the new 1.5 has done very well to the EcoSport. With three cylinders and a lot of smoothness in operation, the propeller runs fine with the also new six-speed automatic gearbox. The Ford model has linear accelerations and is quite agile in the city, where its engine delivers good torque at low revs and the transmission makes gear changes without hesitation.

The set is much more interesting than the WR-V. The performance of the Honda does not disappoint, but the CVT exchange is in charge of stealing any emotion behind the wheel.

According to Inmetro, source for data on consumption in the comparisons of Jornal do Carro, the EcoSport runs up to 12.8 km on the road with a liter of gasoline, compared to 12.4 WR-V. So they have the same grades.

However, during the evaluation, the Honda on-board computer reached 14 km / l thanks to the CVT gearbox, which keeps the engine running at low speeds.

But the Ford does not hesitate to reduce one or two gears to maintain the pace, which ends up increasing the consumption of the "real life" (12 km / l in the on-board computer).

Opinion
Who would say: Currently the EcoSport buyer is seen as someone with more traditional tastes among consumers of compact utilities. Only time passes for everyone and even the most traditional can resort to a cosmetic intervention here and there. And that's exactly what Ford did in its little jeep, which grew older in the shadow of more modern rivals. The brand moved exactly the questions that driver and passengers perceive most, and gained much from the changes. This is the best EcoSport ever made. It is certain that some problems will only be corrected in a new generation, like the internal space and the small trunk, but engine and foreign exchange have evolved a lot and the finish passes the impression of belonging to more expensive vehicles. Especially considering the difference of a mere $ 3 thousand between the top WR-V and an EcoSport .

Now another thing to note is Ecosports new 1.5l Petrol engine will be made in India so its highly likely we will get the new 1.5l engine as well, but in a different state of tune, Due to fuel quality here in India we might not get the 130 HP @ 6200 rpm and 153 NM @ 4500 rpm spec engine, we will most probably get a de tuned 123 bhp @ 6000 rpm and 147 NM @ 4450 rpm state of tune as per some reports, And Ford is trying out a new 6 speed Manual gearbox as well, we still dont know whether the manual will be available for petrol or diesel or will we ever get it as well

Anyway with the launch of new Tata Nexon, Ford needs to start pushing HARD, the new Nexon seems seriously impressive

I am too SUPER interested in new 1.5l DI TiVCT engine, its 91 bhp per liter in Brazil is amazing , I will be glad even if Ford is ready to push 123 bhp for us which will mostly be the case as the 1.0 ecoboost too has 123 bhp.

Attachments

Last edited:

I wish Ford launches Ecosport automatic with regular torque converter automatic transmission. I always wanted to buy Ecosport automatic but because of the bad experience with dual clutch stayed away from purchasing Ecosport. If it is confirmed that they will launch ecosport with 6-speed torque converter, I am sure Ecosport will see good traction and people like me will purchase without second thoughts.

I wish Ford launches Ecosport automatic with regular torque converter automatic transmission. I always wanted to buy Ecosport automatic but because of the bad experience with dual clutch stayed away from purchasing Ecosport. If it is confirmed that they will launch ecosport with 6-speed torque converter, I am sure Ecosport will see good traction and people like me will purchase without second thoughts.
Yes its sure Ford has ditched the Getrag DCT gearbox forever and moved with 6F15 torque converters for all cars with engine displacement below 1500 cc and 215 NM of torque, but sad part is Ford still dosent make a torque converter AT for diesel, the diesel automatics still are a mystery, with petrols its sure its the new torque converter + 1.5 i3 motor for India

kkn13

Suspended

Yeah give it diesel AT and they will own the segment imho

Yes its sure Ford has ditched the Getrag DCT gearbox forever and moved with 6F15 torque converters for all cars with engine displacement below 1500 cc and 215 NM of torque, but sad part is Ford still dosent make a torque converter AT for diesel, the diesel automatics still are a mystery, with petrols its sure its the new torque converter + 1.5 i3 motor for India
This afternoon I spent viewing Brazilian reviews of 2018 ford Ecosport shared by you. Improved quality of interiors and features. Looked very nice with all features I wanted in a compact SUV :-). I hope they launch same kit like 7 airbags (including knee airbag) + ESC + Hill Hold + Cruise Control + Paddle Shifters + new petrol engine + new automatic gearbox. I hope Ford brings all these even at the cost of 1 or 2 laks more. I am not able to find one Sedan or Compact SUV (below 20L) with all these features. The only vehicle that has these features is Corolla Altis but that comes with CVT and I hate that transmission in my City. I hope Ford makes my wish true without cutting these features for India in facelift

This afternoon I spent viewing Brazilian reviews of 2018 ford Ecosport shared by you. Improved quality of interiors and features. Looked very nice with all features I wanted in a compact SUV :-). I hope they launch same kit like 7 airbags (including knee airbag) + ESC + Hill Hold + Cruise Control + Paddle Shifters + new petrol engine + new automatic gearbox. I hope Ford brings all these even at the cost of 1 or 2 laks more. I am not able to find one Sedan or Compact SUV (below 20L) with all these features. The only vehicle that has these features is Corolla Altis but that comes with CVT and I hate that transmission in my City. I hope Ford makes my wish true without cutting these features for India in facelift
True that, specially the new motor is very interesting one, have been waiting for too long to see a good petrol motor from Ford since the old 1.6 Rocam and now I guess new 1.5 TiVCT has come back with all Ford enthusiasts need

Also as per info the new facelift for India wont have panoramic sunroof and 7 air bags but just 6, option to delete spare wheel and soft touch dash board plastics, rest all will make it to India as well, also the face lift wont have Platinum trims, just Trend,Titanium,Titanium+ and Automatic will be available only in Titanium+ trim

price will go up by 10-15% means around 1-1.5 lakhs extra for Titanium +

But heard from Ford staff from chennai ,that there is going to be diesel automatic launch.
Are you sure, I read the exact opposite, I read there will be no changes in engine choices with exception of 1.5 petrol being new and AT being new 6 speed AT,
Also a new 6 speed manual is in works but not sure whether Ford will introduce this manual for India, in 1.5l guise, but maybe for the 1.0 ecoboost to boost its mileage number to 22+ kmpl highway

Looks really outstanding. Ecosports was always a very good car but only issue was that the rear seat could accommodate only 2 people comfortably. I hope they have addressed this in facelift. A little wider stance would do wonders for this car.

Looks really outstanding. Ecosports was always a very good car but only issue was that the rear seat could accommodate only 2 people comfortably. I hope they have addressed this in facelift. A little wider stance would do wonders for this car.
No there are no interior dimensional changes, its still same 2+2 configuration, a 4 seater at best, but the Ecosport is regarded as a more complete package than even a Creta 1.6 AT by a lot of Brazilian journalists because where it lacks on space and boot door design they make up a huge lot in how it drives, the new 1.5l Dragon motor and in the infotainment and technology offered, most Brazilian reviews compare new 1.5 Ecosport AT with Honda WRV 1.5 AT and Chevrolet Trax 1.4 AT and Creta 1.6 AT and found Ecosport to be better package, so fingers crossed to see whether Ford will give us the same one like one sold in Brazil or whether we will see even further cost cutting which might weaken its strengths it has in Brazil

Top Bottom