Maruti 800 A/T: India’s First Most Affordable Automatic Car

Thread Starter #1

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
Rahul, That's a good find, but it could possibly be an aftermarket semi-automatic transmission. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Drive Safe,
350Z

No semi automatic will have a clutch pedal.

800 was available in auto , but only on spl order , i hope i remember it need a spl certificate kinda - to mention exact reason , not like present days where we get auto.

But i am not sure , collecting from my old past memory and its past midnight i cant confirm with anyone!!

M800 was available in automatic trim too. I myself have seen 2-3 of them in nagpur and it was the same model which is seen in the above pic. Btw the owner has maintained the car really well.

350Z

Core Team
This car seems to be owned by some ‘enthusiast’. And if Maruti 800 was available in Automatic Transmission, that is new to me.

Drive Safe,
350Z

ilango[speed thirst];61747 said:
No semi automatic will have a clutch pedal.
Wrong. Semi-automatic is an auto clutch. There is a button or touch sensor on the gear knob which activates the clutch whenever you put your hand on the gear lever.

Rahul, That's a good find, but it could possibly be an aftermarket semi-automatic transmission. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Drive Safe,
350Z
The 800 auto was only sold to disabled people. It was a 2 speed auto and the car was a type II (model after the SS80).

Thread Starter #9
Thank you all. This is my first stint on a Automobile thread.

I doubt if it was a aftermarket. I don't think so a customer would want to convert his manual car into an Auto. Buying a new Automatic car is much more worth it.

Even i have a 1987 Red Maruti 800 Std.

It was bought in January 1987. It was probably one of the first next-generation models after the original SS80.

The whole car was probably a CKD as i noticed all parts were "Made in Japan". Even the mechanic said that my car had all original Japanese parts.
My car's bonnet safety lock had a "Inverted RED TRIANGLE with SILVER STRIPES" and not the Navy Blue MARUTI LOGO on a Golden Background.
The name "MARUTI" was written in English on the steering and not Hindi. There was not HINDI "MARUTI" STICKER behind the car only one batch written in English "MARUTI SUZUKI"

The Owner's Manual of my Maruti 800 had a picture of a Automatic Transmission Model. And behind the cars's right number plate light just beneath it was written "AUTOMATIC".

Here are the pics of my car. Both pics are 20yrs apart

Attachments

Welcome to the forum Druid.Raul!

Even M800 AT is news to me , i never knew it till now!

BTW your car also seems to be well maintained!

Thread Starter #11
Welcome to the forum Druid.Raul!

Even M800 AT is news to me , i never knew it till now!

BTW your car also seems to be well maintained!
Hi, thanks for the welcome[:)].

Yeah my Maruti 800 will turn 24yrs old in January 2011. Its still there in my village. My father had maintained it extremely well. When we bought this Maruti 800 Std, my father had initially booked a white color model which may have been the SS80, but somehow it got damaged and the dealer offered him this Red one. My father said the dealer told him that we were the first customer in whole of India to get the Next Generation Maruti 800 model which was succeeding the SS80.

The original Red color of my 800 has to be the best red color i have seen till now. today's reds appear so bright but the red on my 800 was really different.

I own 2 800's. One is 84model ss80dx and another one is 87 model type II.... It all started happening one day tht i had passion for collecting Maruti 800's.

Thread Starter #13
I own 2 800's. One is 84model ss80dx and another one is 87 model type II.... It all started happening one day tht i had passion for collecting Maruti 800's.
even i have a special interest in the Post-SS80 model of Maruti 800. I don't think so i am ever going to sell my Maruti 800. Maybe 30-40yrs frm now it will be a honour to own a Maruti 800 just like VW Beetle[:)]

hello rahul welcome to TAI and great catch!! thats very nicely modified 800 and yours is well kept too..i also never knew that maruti 800 came in automatic gearbox!! btw i see some clutch like small pedal on left what's that??

deville_56

Honoured Member
One of my distant uncle, a handicapped doctor, got a similar auto 800. It had '800 Automatic' logo in bootlid and I was wondering all my l'il age what an automatic was :D. He then bought a Honda City A/T.

Top Bottom