End Of Journey For GM India Sales Operations

Re: End Of Journey For GM India Sales Operations?

I heard the Halol plant is sold. In fact it was idle for some time if I am not mistaken. What about the Talegaon plant? That should still be running; at least for exports. Will this plant close too?

Last edited:

Well it seems the Chinese SAIC will be buying them? who knows we will soon have chinese cars on our roads soon [;)]

Nǐ hǎo[:)] china;indian markets may not be easy to crack-better for customers though with more competition

General Motors To Exit Domestic Market in India

General Motors Will Stop Selling Cars in India.

GM withdraws from the world’s second-most populous country to refocus on Brazil and China and fend off encroaching tech companies.

While GM will continue building products in India to sell in other countries, its decision to pull out of the market in the world’s second-most populous country reflects a wider recalculation of where it should be laying bets. It has centered most of its emerging-markets investment on China and Brazil.

New Beat launch off. Severance pay-3 months for employees less than 3 years. 45 days per year for those above 3 yrs!

WSJ

Last edited:
Re: General Motor to exit domestic market in India

GM makes its intentions clear on exiting India and S African retail markets,

-the latest steps in a strategy of focusing cash and engineering effort on fewer, more profitable markets.

- has found it increasingly expensive to compete in emerging markets outside of China.

- GM is developing with its Chinese partner Shanghai Automotive Industries Corp, remains on track to account for about 2 million vehicles a year in global sales volume, mainly in Latin America, Mexico and China

- it will take a $500 million charge in the second quarter to restructure operations in India, Africa and Singapore. It will cancel most of a planned $1 billion investment to build a new line of low-cost vehicles in India

- About $200 million of the charge will be a cash expense. The moves are expected to save $100 million a year in a sector of GM's global business that last year lost about $800 million

AN

Last edited:

Its expected based on lots of rumors that were going around.

How will the existing owners get their cars serviced ? How will they get the spares. I really feel sorry for the owners.

FIAT is having a worst time than GM. But they are still sticking on in the market.

Re: General Motors To Exit Domestic Market in India

Sad news for owners. This some how reminded exit of Daewoo. Don't know how owners might be feeling after receiving this news.

If they can export then why are they not able to sell it in Indian market. What's the purpose of testing camouflaged Beat on Indian roads.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Its expected based on lots of rumors that were going around.

How will the existing owners get their cars serviced ? How will they get the spares. I really feel sorry for the owners.

FIAT is having a worst time than GM. But they are still sticking on in the market.
Since they will be exporting cars from india i don't think spares will be an issue. But no new customers means the exisiting service centers may also shut along with the dealerships and that will be a problem. But aftermarket source should not be an issue. Chevrolet may still sell parts in the market via different vendors.
Also , fiat exist just because of their engine business they get from other manufacturers and nothing else.

Re: General Motors To Exit Domestic Market in India

Clearly threw in the towel without even trying. Were they even serious about being in this market in the first place? Why burn precious cash on something you were not interested. Why is it so difficult for the management folks to see where it all went wrong? They just had to refresh their product lineup. Proper revamp of Sail Sedan would have boosted its sales. Captiva just above Cruze price range would have been a Chart topper. Tavera was doing fine. A Beat refresh on time would have kept the Beat sales ticking. Essentia would have done just fine with the 1.3 MJD.

Just did not put in the effort. Well if you are not interested, might as well vacate the space for some who is willing to invest time and effort.

Cheerio Chevrolet/GM. Hope to not see you again ever in any form or avatar in India. I am sure people will treat you as 'untouchable' next time you decide to enter India. You not only broke the trust of all the customers who invested in your products, but you have left them in the lurch and left them stranded. What an absolute disgrace. I sincerely hope and pray people abandon Isuzu just like you are abandoning India.

Last edited:

Since they will be exporting cars from india i don't think spares will be an issue. But no new customers means the exisiting service centers may also shut along with the dealerships and that will be a problem. But aftermarket source should not be an issue. Chevrolet may still sell parts in the market via different vendors.
Also , fiat exist just because of their engine business they get from other manufacturers and nothing else.
It will definitelt be a big issue. My sister had Spark and Dzire Diesel. While Dzire ownership was a good experience, Spark was a nightmare. Some AC button broke and the single ASC in Pune never procured that to her. Any spare which went was never procured or it was procured in ages. They shifted to US. While resale of Dzire was a good experience spark was a disastor. Even more due to the spare parts unavailability. She told buying that car was worst purchase for her especially due to very poor ASS and spare parts availability. It will be worst after they exit.

Top Bottom