Best Petrol Motor in India As of Now!

Thread Starter #1
What can be termed as "Best" depends on individual! So with that being in mind, please pour in your votes and tell me whats the best petrol engine available in India right now!

Let me start this with my view. I haven't driven any petrol from top 3 germans and volvo kinds. But apart from that, I have driven our regular janta petrols a lot and so had a chance to experience their characteristics.

Although my choice looks one sided, it isn't! It is purely based on what I consider as best.

1. Smoothness
2. Pickup/Eagerness to pull
3. NVH
4. Sweet Sound! (Well, everyday you want to listen to this!)
5. FE (Well, decent one)

As I said, I find Hyundai petrols to be extermely attractive compared to Honda! I agree Honda petrols are butter smooth, awesome NVH & pickup but Hyundai's are serious contender to this.

Don't trust me, drive Grand/Xcent or that sweet 1.6 on Verna. If you feel Verna diesel is good, try Verna petrol.

It is smooth and NVH is excellent. The car pulls crazy after 1.8k rpm and damn that sound is better! For some reason, I find driving Korean H more crazier than driving Japanese H!

Let's pour yours!

Well interesting discussion and let me jump onto this.

I also drive a Ritz Petrol since 2010 and drives my in law's Wagon R occasionally. Have taken test drives of Grand i10, Jazz, Zest & Bolt (read petrol). Out of all this i still feel that Maruti Petrols to be better especially the K series plonked in Ritz and Swift. Mileage, refinement etc all are equally good and the car is so effortless. Having said that, i liked Jazz petrol too and it was so silent inside the cabin and I could hardly realize that the engine was ON.

Thread Starter #3
Well interesting discussion and let me jump onto this.

I also drive a Ritz Petrol since 2010 and drives my in law's Wagon R occasionally. Have taken test drives of Grand i10, Jazz, Zest & Bolt (read petrol). Out of all this i still feel that Maruti Petrols to be better especially the K series plonked in Ritz and Swift. Mileage, refinement etc all are equally good and the car is so effortless. Having said that, i liked Jazz petrol too and it was so silent inside the cabin and I could hardly realize that the engine was ON.
As I said, Honda's are known for their creamier petrols and I was blasted to know when I drove Dolphin City! It was so quiet I was checking tacho very often to see if the engine is still on!

I agree K-Series is fun to drive and all, but I felt the refinement to be lower compared to iVTEC & VTVT!

My uncle owns Hyundai Santro 2005 model, he is so lazy thag he used to service his car once in 2 years, recently I had a chance to drive his car and I was astonished that it was butter smooth, though the suspension had so much of noise but engine was a gem to drive.
I agree with fd, the power that is delivered at 1.8k rpm feels like boom.

Its early days for me in terms of ownership of the Polo GT , but I would put the VW 1.2 TSI motor in there with the ones mentioned in the post. It has that creaminess and a rich, subdued-bassy note. May change as the kms pile on, but these are my initial impressions

Thread Starter #7
^^ Driving TSI is a blast and you will start grinning as soon as you mash the pedal. But for me, the major downer is the DSG GB. I prefer Manual for fun, and for pure control. I agree that the DSG is a lot better than TC/AMT/CVT but I still prefer Manual. There is nothing like keeping the engine in boil to find that perfect overtake and I don't want to fiddle with S-Mode or Manual Mode to do that.

With paddle shifter, things might get better.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
My Honda City's (2011) 1.5L I-Vtec engine is a nice one too. In all these 5+ years which I have owned it, the engine has proved to be a reliable and performance worthy engine. No complaints on this front.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #9
^^ Dude! What are you smoking! That 1.5L i-VTEC is a gem of an engine. If you can trade me your City for my Xcent, I'd be happily revving it all the way and grinning like an idiot. It is the BEST petrol engine and that is why I said, Hyundai petrols are serious contender but not above Honda engines.

Even that 1.2L engine in Brio & Amaze felt great!

In terms of smoothness, almost all 4cylinder petrols are butter smooth.
Check this out - my ex-car, Zen Estilo 1.1 too had one of the smoothest engines - try this on any new 3cylinder Kseries [lol]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc9gpgveEZM

Best petrol car Sound - from stock exhaust - Ford's (Ikon & Fiesta) & M800 (the crude noise of M800 has its own fun)
Smoothness - Almost all 4cylinder cars
Stunning overall engine refinement - Honda City 1.5 Petrol
Stunning Diesel Engine refinement - Etios Diesel

I've found the fiesta 1.6s motor to be the most exciting out of all the cars I've driven. Not the fastest but definitely the most exciting.

Definitely not biased being an owner. [embarass]

I agree with others. The 1.5L ivtec is one of the best petrol (smaller)engines. I have also driven my uncle's Optra 1.6L 100bhp petrol which was fun to drive although suffered from low FE.
For me personally bigger the petrol engine and more the power, the more fun to drive.

In terms of smoothness, almost all 4cylinder petrols are butter smooth.
Check this out - my ex-car, Zen Estilo 1.1 too had one of the smoothest engines - try this on any new 3cylinder Kseries [lol]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc9gpgveEZM

Best petrol car Sound - from stock exhaust - Ford's (Ikon & Fiesta) & M800 (the crude noise of M800 has its own fun)
Smoothness - Almost all 4cylinder cars
Stunning overall engine refinement - Honda City 1.5 Petrol
Stunning Diesel Engine refinement - Etios Diesel
You are right I am big fan of Zen mpfi 16 Valve engine, even through it is not VVT its a gem of engines. I do like carb zen engine because of zero engine noise and refinement.

-suryaputhra

kkn13

Suspended
Personally I love the 1.5 IVTEC on my city
its the most balanced engine Ive driven, no lag as such and extremely rev happy
steering is the best balance ive seen
Hate the low end torque at times though, still I found it less "laggy" than VW 1.6 DSG petrol and TDI at low speeds
Havent driven TSI so cant comment on that

However asking which is the best engine is like asking which is the best medicine in the world [;)]
I think Asians make better petrols in terms of balance of power, FE , maintenance etc
Europeans make the better diesels
Cant comment much on Americans since I havent driven many

Top Bottom