What If Fiat Multijet Diesel Engine Is Banned in India?

Thread Starter #1
After reading a news on certain emission cheating issues on fiat-chrysler diesel engines ,
source
I was wondering how will our market react, if somehow the Fiat diesel engines gets a sales ban in India !

The most affecting manufacturer would be Maruti Suzuki :

Brezza 100% Fiat diesel
S cross 100% Fiat diesel
Ciaz 85% Fiat diesel
Ertiga 85% Fiat diesel
Dzire,Swift,Baleno,Ignis-40-60% on Fiat diesels.

other manufacturers Include
Tata Motors-Zest & Bolt
Fiat -Linea & Punto
Gm-Beat,Sail & Sail U-va

Hyundai & Honda could give a try for market domination!

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Re: What happens if the Fiat Multijet Diesel Engines gets banned in India ?

I dread to think what would happen
VW and Fiat diesels are some of the best engines in the segment
Honda is too rough
Hyundai is balanced but a bit bland compared to Fiat MJD and VW TDI
Theres always Ford though

Maruti Suzuki might benefit from Toyota's 1.4 diesel
Knowing how Maruti Suzuki perfected their implementation of the 1.3 MJD and refined it extremely well, they might transform Toyota's 1.4 as well
Tata and Chevy's implementation of the 1.3 MJD was very rough and gearshifts etc are harder
Fiat obviously nailed the 1.3MJD in their cars but the driving seat position feels very odd for most people

Thread Starter #4
Re: What happens if the Fiat Multijet Diesel Engines gets banned in India ?

I don't think and I'm not saying government would put any ban on Maruti or it's likes , it's impossible as maruti seems to be lobbying government a lot .
Look at how the safety regulations are being diluted and postponing !

But if some how because of some personal filing or through the court it happens , for a week or month , even that would be a huge set back for Maruti & Suzuki !

After reading a news on certain emission cheating issues on fiat-chrysler diesel engines ,
source
I was wondering how will our market react, if somehow the Fiat diesel engines gets a sales ban in India...............
That is certainly a very interesting observation and the consequences, as you've mentioned, would be disastrous for some - and manna-from-heaven for the others! Though it looks as though this whole emission-norms cheating business is far more widespread than thought earlier (almost endemic!) and seems to be losing its head-line grabbing ability.

Sorry it was a joke, no way consumers should pay. The engine was and is so popular that there are soo many on the road due to its performance.

Like @allhyundaicars mentioned, nothing will happen in our country. Criminals will go unpunished and good people end up suffering. Worst of all most people don't care and not bothered at all.

In our country especially in automotive industry consumers are treated like a bunch of dullards and we consumers are partly to be blamed. We all just took what some companies made and accepted it even though knowingly/unknowingly it is potentially dangerous and never demanded things to be rectified [except few].

Off-topic:
Today went with a friend of mine to a honda showroom, people are rushing like cattle for buy a BS-3 variant vehicle. Most of them don't know what BS-3 is for, they just went to buy because it's banned from 1st april.

Yup! Small question, I assume fuel all over India is now BS IV?
BS-4 grade fuel was being used all over in India from April 2016. Hence we are getting slightly lower FE in our BS-3 vehicle when comparing with fuel before april 2016

Last edited:
Apart from the sedans and UV who will keep a check on the commercial segments its these vehicles which pollute the most and with enormous co2 emission

Apart from the sedans and UV who will keep a check on the commercial segments its these vehicles which pollute the most and with enormous co2 emission
The following articles (Vehicle Emissions | Air Pollution | City Diesel | LPG | CNG ///// Petrol vs diesel: The emissions and cleanliness match-up | The Indian Express) should help clear up some common misconceptions.
Diesel fuel has higher calorific value than petrol;
Diesel combustion is more efficient than petrol;
Diesels produces less CO than comparable petrol.
CO (carbon monoxide) is highly toxic as popularised by Hollywood & Bollywood films - suicides & murders in cars recirculating CO from the exhaust pipe into the cabin).
BS-4 diesels are more or less on par with comparable petrols (as the 2nd article clarifies) as far as emissions go.
The one major disadvantage of diesel is the production of particulate matter, which is largely unburnt carbon. But this is being tackled by different types of diesel particulate filters (DPF) being used.
The debate continues!

Thread Starter #15
Laboratory & on-road emission testing of in-use passenger vehicles

The International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) was contracted by the International
Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT) to conduct in-use testing of three light-duty diesel and petrol
vehicles, for correlation of Laboratory v/s PEMS.
Three vehicles were procured for this project.
• Hyundai Elite I20 Petrol (Asta Version)
• Hyundai Elite I20 Diesel (Sportz Version)
• Mahindra & Mahindra XUV 500 W6 with Start-Stop feature
All the tests were performed on above three vehicles as per project plan i.e. Chassis Dynamometer
tests and On Road test using PEMS. The test results gave insights on the current emissions levels of
three, in-use, popular vehicles sold in Indian Market. Also the data showed the gap between
Laboratory v/s On Road Emission levels and provide inputs on potential improvements to vehicle
technologies and regulations to improve emissions on the road.
CONCLUSION 2.jpg

CONCLUSION 1.jpg
File
Observations:
*There's is significant increase of CO emission from the petrol car.
*There's is significant increase in NOX emission from the diesel cars when tested in the real world conditions.
*Fuel efficiency too dropped 20-25% from the lab conditions.
*Tested cars were single owned, 3 year old cars and done around 15K KMs.
*Always wonder why the testing bodies be it emission or crash tests, are least interested in most selling brand or most sold cars [cry]!
Source

Top Bottom