Hindustan Motors Sells Iconic "Ambassador" Brand To Peugeot-Citroën

Thread Starter #1
Hindustan Motors sells iconic Ambassador brand to Peugeot-Citroën [cry]

Hindustan%20Ambasssador%20(1).jpg

Hindustan Motors has sold its iconic brand, Ambassador to the PSA Group in a deal worth Rs 80 crores that will include trademarks as well. HM has indicated that the amount will be used to clear its outstanding dues.

The PSA Group’s plans are unknown and it remains to be seen if it will revive the model or relaunch the brand as a retro-lifestyle offering with an all-new car, à la BMW’s Mini. More details are likely to emerge in the next few days. Interestingly, a few years ago, the Ambassador was featured in an advertisement for Peugeot and it showed a man remodelling the Ambassador to make it resemble a Peugeot 206.

The HM Ambassador was based on the Morris Oxford III model and was brought to India by the Birlas in 1957. It then went on to become a venerable icon of the Indian automobile landscape. During the pre-liberalisation times, the Ambassador became a favourite of the masses, the taxi drivers and the political class. Over the decades, the Ambassador received countless iterations with the Mark series of cars, Nova, ISZ (with an Isuzu engine) and the most recent (03-04) Grand and Avigo versions.

However, most of these changes seemed to be few and far in between when compared to the other modern offerings in the market. Sales dwindled but the Ambassador soldiered on for another decade until production was suspended in 2014 at HM’s Uttarpara plant in West Bengal.

Earlier this year, the PSA Group, parent company of Peugeot and Citroën announced that it would return to India through joint ventures with the CK Birla Group. These joint ventures cover manufacturing, distribution of vehicles in India and a powertrain manufacturing unit, and will be based out of Tamil Nadu.

The PSA Group had in April 2016 revealed its aggressive ‘Push to Pass’ growth plan for the 2016-2021 period. India is part of this plan as per which the carmaker is targeting a partnership deal by 2018 and a product launch before the end of 2021.

Source:ACI

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Ambassador has been a legend in India. The legacy created by Ambassador is surely unparalleled till now as I feel. Peugeot on the other hand wasn't very successful in India so with this purchase of the product name, I hope Peugeot is able to create some worthy products in future that shall keep the legacy alive. I have always felt that a brand's success / failure depends on the products it offers. So, in a growing market like India and others, Peugeot has a great opportunity to create a place for itself as well as it's products.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
Ambassador has been a legend in India. The legacy created by Ambassador is surely unparalleled till now as I feel. Peugeot on the other hand wasn't very successful in India so with this purchase of the product name, I hope Peugeot is able to create some worthy products in future that shall keep the legacy alive. I have always felt that a brand's success / failure depends on the products it offers. So, in a growing market like India and others, Peugeot has a great opportunity to create a place for itself as well as it's products.

Regards

Akash
If HM really wanted to sell their iconic brand to other makers they should sold to TATA Motors they deserve it, because i strongly feel that TATA can make alive ambassador as iconic master piece.

Finally Sold to non indian maker hope that PSA will come up with a surprise like what BMW did with MINI [;)]

Last edited:
Peugeot might be one of the biggest car makers in Europe, but it has absolutely no presence in the Indian market. With the Indian car market growing bigger day by day, there is no big automaker which doesn’t have the presence in the sub-continent. The most recent car maker to set up operations in India is Porsche, which used to import vehicles through a third party. So why doesn’t Peugeot have a presence in India?

It entered in India in 1994 and a second reentry in 2011 i guess and as quick as it entered it was forced to leave the country due to very very low sales and very tiny service network.

So what went wrong for Peugeot India?

Wrong entry strategy in 1994, with the wrong partner.
The second coming was too late.
Brand building never took place. Peugeot could have setup a small network and brought in completely built units from France to create an aspirational brand.
Not committing investments for the Indian market.
Wrong products offered to Indians. The Peugeot 309 was highly dated when it was launched in India.

But now again, by buying a failed Ambassador ( i mean not so good selling numbers)...what is Peugeot trying??? Will this be the same failed action as earlier???

Hope the Iconic brand comes to life again on a modern platform yet maintaing its sheet metal strength.

Few automobiles like rx100, bullet, amby, karizma, safari has attained a cult status.

Well I had wished the Brand Ambassador being reincarnated in India itself. had wished Tata or Mahindra go for it. 80Cr is not a big investment for getting an iconic brand. Both have technology to give it a great makeover. Since MnM are not into cars, Ambassador could have provided that push in the car segment.
For Tata it would have been yet another strong car offering and a strong possiblity of a winner.

I wish they had approached HM for the Amby brand.

Last edited:

Top Bottom