Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 : Detailed Comparison

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends

I was thinking of creating this thread since a long time but my laziness in creating tables for comparison held me back. I have attempted to compare the two products side-by-side according to their variants in terms of specifications, price as well as features. If you like this thread, then do let me know. I will try and create more such threads for upcoming as well as existing rivals in our car market. Please go through the last post as well for better understanding. [:)]

1CoverImage-1024x353-1034x356.png

Hexa comes in the following 3 variants : XE, XM, XT
XUV500 comes in the following 4 variants : W4, W6, W8, W10

I have taken W6 and W8 together as mid-variants of XUV500 to go against Hexa XM for ease of comparison. Let us start with simpler details before moving on to feature comparison.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Price

1Price-687x359-693x362.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Dimensions

1Dimensions-683x161-689x162.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Ground Clearance

1GC-689x109-695x110.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Gross Weight

1Weight-686x108-692x109.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Suspension

1Suspension-680x160-686x161.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Brakes

1Brakes-684x128-690x129.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Fuel Tank Capacity

1Tank capacity-687x123-693x124.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Turning Radius

1Radius-685x107-691x108.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Colour Options

1Colours-482x219-486x221.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - ARAI Fuel Efficiency

1ARAI-686x128-692x129.PNG

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Service and Warranty

Tata Hexa vs Mahindra XUV500 - Performance

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3
Let us start with variant-wise feature comparison now. Preparing the below tables was a time-consuming affair and resulted in some delay in posting.

Tata Hexa XE vs Mahindra XUV500 W4

1Base Part 1-760x619.PNG

1Base Part 2-758x637.PNG

Price Difference - Tata Hexa is cheaper than Mahindra XUV500 by Rs. 35000
Alpha's Pick - Tata Hexa > Mahindra XUV500

Tata Hexa XM vs Mahindra XUV500 W6/W8

1Mid Part 1-962x631.PNG

1Mid Part 2-963x606.PNG

Price Difference - Mahindra XUV500 W6 is cheaper than Tata Hexa by Rs. 1000. Tata Hexa is cheaper than Mahindra XUV500 W8 by Rs. 175000
Alpha's Pick - Tata Hexa > Mahindra XUV500 W6 and Mahindra XUV500 W8 > Tata Hexa

Tata Hexa XT vs Mahindra XUV500 W10

1Top Part 1-762x603.PNG

1Top Part 2-763x560.PNG

Price Difference - Tata Hexa is cheaper than Mahindra XUV500 by Rs. 17000. All Wheel Drive version of Mahindra XUV500 is cheaper than Tata Hexa by Rs. 2000
Alpha's Pick - Mahindra XUV500 > Tata Hexa and Tata Hexa AWD > Mahindra XUV500 AWD

Thread Starter #4
We are done with Manual Transmission variants of the two cars. Now let us start with the comparison of Automatic Transmission variants.

Tata Hexa is available in 2 Automatic transmission variants - XMA, XTA
Mahindra XUV500 is available in 3 Automatic transmission variants - W6 AT, W8 AT, W10 AT

I have taken W6 AT and W8 AT together as mid-variants of XUV500 to go against Hexa XMA for ease of comparison.

Tata Hexa XMA vs Mahindra XUV500 W6 AT/W8 AT

1Mid Auto-964x420.PNG

Price Difference - Mahindra XUV500 W6 AT is cheaper than Tata Hexa by Rs. 33000. Tata Hexa is cheaper than Mahindra XUV500 W8 AT by Rs. 163000
Alpha's Pick - Mahindra XUV500 W6 AT > Tata Hexa and Mahindra XUV500 W8 AT > Tata Hexa

Tata Hexa XTA vs Mahindra XUV500 W10 AT

1Top Auto-762x482.PNG

Price Difference - Tata Hexa and Mahindra XUV500 have equal prices
Alpha's Pick - Mahindra XUV500 > Tata Hexa

Thread Starter #5
Other Points

• All views expressed on this thread are my personal views and I mean no offence to the brands or their customers at all. I have tried my best not to sound biased or defame a product without reason.
  • Toyota Innova Crysta and Hyundai Creta were knowingly left out. Innova Crysta is priced at a well-deserved premium than the rest because of its brand image and reliability, both of which cannot be put on paper for comparison. Creta was discarded because of not fulfilling the full size 7 seater UV criteria. Moreover, compiling data and creating tables would have been time-consuming with more than 2 competitors.
  • It is to be understood that higher variants will automatically come with features of the lower variants, unless mentioned otherwise. In automatic variant comparison, only changes (vis-à-vis manual variants) have been mentioned and features of respective manual variant continue to be available, unless mentioned otherwise. Do note that only the key features have been included in this thread. Some space has been left intentionally below each image as our forum watermark takes up that space. ARAI Mileage of Varicor 320 engine is not available. If ARAI figures of Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 and 400 are anything to go by, one can expect slightly less fuel efficiency on Hexa XE than other variants.
  • Prices mentioned are ex-showroom Mumbai. Reason - XUV500 1.99 Litre sold in Delhi NCR does not come with AWD. Comparison has been done with 2.2 Litre variants of both cars.
  • Ground Clearance of XUV500 = 160mm. Reduced from 200mm by addition of a removable stone guard to save on taxes. Source - Team BHP. Related Link - Mahindra XUV500 loses ground clearance for lower excise | Team-BHP.
  • Gross Weight of Tata Hexa is taken from leaked owner's manual on Team BHP. Related Link - Tata Hexa - owner's manual reveals additional details | Team-BHP.
  • All details have been compiled from the internet through online reviews, walkaround videos, e-brochures, owner's manuals and official websites. Images used in the first post are taken from "Downloads" section of official websites of respective brands. Click here and here for official websites of Tata Hexa and Mahindra XUV500 respectively.
  • Thanks to DJ bro and Akash1886 for their help and advice.
  • Apologies in advance for mistakes or errors in this thread, if any. Remember - to err is human, to forgive divine! :biggrin:

Regards,
Alpha

I think you should have taken Crysta also in comparison. Even though brand image, reliability can't be put on paper buyers are well aware of that and it would help them to ascertain whether paying such premium is fine for them or not. Also Creta/Duster falls in the same price range so can be put into comparison even though its a 5 seater. Buyers are even aware of that and they can balance out their requirements. We can't put product features also in paper like exterior/interior design, body quality but we compare cars still.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Buyers are even aware of that and they can balance out their requirements. We can't put product features also in paper like exterior/interior design, body quality but we compare cars still.
Product design is 100% subjective and opinion for this aspect varies from person to person. Reliability and brand image also varies from person to person, though not totally subjective. For one, Tata ASS may be 10/10 and Toyota 9/10 and the case can be opposite for someone else. It depends on a person's experience with the brand. No brand is perfect. Preferences between a 5 or 7 seater is also a subjective matter. One person may prefer 7 seats for added seating flexibility it provides, some others may prefer 5 seats for a compact vehicle blueprint. Choice varies from person to person. In case of features though, we can compare them with a definite outcome. Eg. when given a choice between 2 vs 6 airbags, everyone would consider 6 airbags to be superior than 2. 100% result, you see. Similarly, ESP vs No ESP, 10 speakers vs 4 speakers and so on.

I could not include other cars because of lack of time but next time I will keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks.

Regards,
Alpha

Last edited:
Re: Mahindra TUV500 (TUV300 LWB) Undergoing Testing

Hi,

I am following hexa since i saw it in auto expo. I also delayed Xuv500 due to it and followed threads around it almost a year. Finally got to see and drive it at hexa experience event organized in Gurgaon. It looked very much MPV and clutch was not engaging. It was taking tons of effort in switching gears. Tata guy told me that it is running since this morning so gets hot, hence not engaging properly. Anyway i do not take his argument on it

Space wise Xuv500 looks much better. Engine is more refined in Xuv500. Only point that goes in favor of hexa is interior quality. I can live with current Xuv interior. On all other aspect Xuv score better than hexa.

PS: NO offence to anyone in this comparison
Even I felt same way. I feel XUV5OO is way better than Hexa is many parts, though Hexa got some things which gives Hexa upper hand on XUV5OO. e.g. Interior quality, 8 colour Mood lighting, boot space even after all seats are up. But still I guess if Hexa priced same as XUV5OO then its always better to buy XUV5OO over Hexa.

Friends,

Update:

Link

Regards

Akash
Sir any chances that Mahindra is working on Bit good quality interior, may be leather on dashboard in 2017 XUV5OO?
Just any chances, they are adding better quality interior in 2017?

Also As I remember XUV5OO is the first SUV under 20 lakhs to provide mood lighting. It was Red in first gen & now Blue in New Age XUV5OO, so they are planning to add more colors to mood lighting like Hexa?

Great comparison. I think one key area that Hexa scores over XUV is boot space. it can comfortably take 7 persons luggage for a weekend trip in the boot.

Other Points
ARAI Mileage of Varicor 320 engine is not available. If ARAI figures of Tata Safari Storme Varicor 320 and 400 are anything to go by, one can expect slightly less fuel efficiency on Hexa XE than other variants.
Regards,
Alpha
XE has the same 5 speed- Varicor 148bhp/320 NM engine which is present in Aria. Aria has an ARAI certified mileage of 15.05. i think we can safely assume this mileage for XE

I have now driven Tata Hexa XT 4x4 (7 seater) for 450 km now.

Overall FE - 11.6 kmpl (as per MID). Driven in ghats and b2b traffic, in Dynamic and Rough Road mode only, 100% AC in normal mode (not econ mode).

bhvm

Honoured Member
THIS was the thread I was (and many Readers I suppose) looking for!
Thanks to our dear Alpha for bringing out the same.

BTW, XUV does not have DRLS. They're just Light-guide embedded Parking lights. Their output nor Functionality is same as DRL. (DRL has engine start sensor, Parking light is started manually from the headlight knob).

Strangely Mahindra has DRLS on their nuvosport but not XUV.

Top Bottom