My Polo 1.5 Recalled For Software & Hardware Update. What Next?

Thread Starter #1
I am devastated even thinking of it. Will my car lose on horses or will it start giving troubles or what. I acquired my VW Polo 1.5 TDi back in December 2015 and the car has covered around 27k kms till now. Today I got this e-mail:
VW mail.JPG

My questions:
  • Anyone else got the mail?
  • Anyone who has got it done on his/her car? What are the aftermath effects?
  • Is it advisable to go for it ASAP or should I wait for others to get in first?

An over optimistic thought:
Maybe they will power up my Polo to Ameo's 110 bhp tune :biggrin:

Thread Starter #3
Anyhow I am going for the A.S.S. visit on Friday morning for routine service as well as this update, shall update the aftermath once it's done. Especially the performance part and what all differences I felt.

Hi Vipul, even I have got a call for my TDI engine. Mine is 6 months old and concerned about the performance post upgrade. Have you upgraded yours? If so, please let me know your feedback.

Thread Starter #6
Mine is done, they have also given a car detailing kit worth 2k after the update.

For now, the performance and FE are more or less same, rest my chauffy is claiming that he felt the mid range to have got stronger and rise in FE, need to confirm at my end though.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Maybe they changed engine map towards driveablity/ Reliablity rather than Outright performance. Horses will stay the same.

My GT feels worse to drive. Until the engine reaches 90 degrees Celsius, the car jerks like crazy in the lower revs. What once an amazing car was spoilt by this stupid so called software update. Car feels choked and the engine knocking sound is very high. I feel decieved by Volkswagen as well as my dealer. I feel like selling off my car. I personally wouldn't buy another Volkswagen ever in my life.

I feel responsible to update about the VW's diesel gate scandal and what I went through after the software update. My car was november 2014 manufactured which was an imported 1.5 TDI engine from Germany tuned at 105bhp and 250NM torque and the car performed as expected. I was never disappointed with the engine and the sound of the engine is real sweet even at idle and the power delivered was explosive, it keeps a smile on my face at all times. I was satisfied with my car in every way until the software update was done. Mind you, mine is a GT TDI and I gave my car for an accidental repair of my rear door when a lunatic biker struck my door and I have no idea that my car went through a software update which was later told to me when I asked for an update about the repair from dealership and when I asked them with a higher tone, that why is it being done on my car without my permission, those bloaks gave me an answer saying that its supreme court's order and it's mandatory to do or else you will loose your extended warranty and assured me that there will not be any change whatsoever on the car's performance. The next day when I took the delivery of the car, it sounded very bad at lower rpms and the pick up of the car is totally gone ! Literally you can pluck out the GT badge from the car and throw it away, its that bad. On top of it, when engine is cool, the car jerks like crazy until the engine attains 90 degrees centigrade. I have made number of visits to the service centre and they couldn't solve this issue, they also communicated the same to VW India and they have a routine answer saying that it's very common and those injectors will get adjusted automatically after driving 2000 kms. I felt bad that I spent extra for a car like GT and it doesn't drive like one anymore.
So I accepted my fate and started to drive my car for 4000 kms and still that engine knocking sound exists and nothing has happened like what VW India or the dealership has spoken about the knocking sound subsiding and engine becoming very smooth. At this moment I felt very cheated and lost interest on this wonderful machine which was spoilt by the software update. I was also thinking at the back of my head about the in-future problems that may occur due to this software update because the car felt choked all the time at lower rpms due to lack of air intake as there was a mesh kind of thing placed inside the air filter intake pipe.

So I wasn't satisfied with the car anymore and sold it off at a loss after 2 years 5 months of ownership and the vehicle was driven around 24k kms. And recently I have seen a new GT TDI bought by one of my colleague and I was surprised to see that it didn't come with a software update. It drives well and no engine knocking sound ? So VW India does this intentionally ? I can guarantee that no car enthusiast would be interested in buying a VW 1.5 Diesel if they had test driven a car which underwent this software update. Apart from this, I have nothing against VW cars, GT TSI still feels like a hoot to drive. And their emission fix sucks big time. With such an experience, I don't feel like buying a VW again, else their are beautiful to drive.

Top Bottom