Small Engines Pollute More: Major Manufacturers Mull Large CC Engines

Thread Starter #1
So finally Small engines pollute more

According to research done by companies after the diesel gate scandal, they have come to conclusion that smaller engines spew more venom than their larger counter parts. This is basically a reason the large few companies have planned to shunt out their small engines and started working in larger capacity engines. This is what was the news posted on the Deccan Chronicle news paper in Hyderabad.

The reason was that the engines are within limits when tested in standard in-house test conditions as tested in most of the emission test conducted world wide. When they are pressed hard is that they spew 5 times more the non-turbo charged engines

Companies did down size the engines and strapped on a turbo charger to re-gain the lost power and that has been proved a culprit. Hence they have planned to shift to larger capacity engines without Turbo chargers. Now all other manufacturers have started falling in line and announced geting back to larger engines.

The testing regime is also set to change now and planning to go real time on the roads than testing in-houses.

What will the Indian government thinking be about the engine capacity related norms?

HYD_2016-10-15_maip17_8.png

source: Deccan Chronicle

Last edited:
This is interesting news! I was trying to find how are our Bharat Stage III OR IV norms tested. I couldn't find anything on Wikipedia - but maybe I just didn't search hard enough. :)

Since these norms are based on the Euro norms, is it safe to say that things in India are the same?

This is interesting news! I was trying to find how are our Bharat Stage III OR IV norms tested. I couldn't find anything on Wikipedia - but maybe I just didn't search hard enough. :)

Since these norms are based on the Euro norms, is it safe to say that things in India are the same?
I got a document in this link (https://www.araiindia.com/pdf/TAP_Document_Issue_4_Volume_I.pdf).

This document prescribes the test method, testing equipment and other related procedure for the purpose of testing motor vehicles for verifying compliance to Rule 115 and 126A of CMVR for Type Approval and Conformity of Production. This document covers Bharat Stage-I,II, III & IV norms for 2-wheeler, 3-wheeler and motor cars and diesel engines wherever applicable. (I copy pasted [;)]).

Chaper 4 (Page 197) is the Test Method.

NGT banned (Kerala) recently new vehicles of Diesel engines with capacity above 2000CC. However, Supreme Court reversed this rule.

I have a diesel vehicle 3000CC (Fortuner) and the emission is almost nil. On the other hand, a diesel auto rickshaw is emitting like a chimney. Comparing the emission on these type of vehicles, small one is having large emission compared to the other. The new temperature controlled engines on all new Fortuner is much more refined.

well now ngt should ban the smaller vehicles. I always had a feeling that twowheelers were more polluting that the cars however, could not substantiate my observations since I am not a technologist in automotive. this article however, substantiate my obeservation. I had observed this in mall parking where two wheelers section was much more suffocating than the rest of the basement parking lot in the mall.

kkn13

Suspended
What about the age old trucks and buses on our roads
Im sure our cars with their small cc and turbo will pollute much much lesser than them

Small engines with more fuel efficiency emit lesser gases,than bigger engines with lower fuel efficiency,thats what I thought.or am I missing something? For autos they're crude but the give some 30 ish mileage per litre of Diesel ,so buring less fuel? Or is there any other parameters? like the components of the emitting smoke.

There is a logic in the above argument. Diesel engine if stressed above its design limit emits more smoke. In small capacity diesel engines are stressed more than limit that we see in everyday life.

So I expect a ban bellow 2000CC including 1900CC XUV[lol]

Top Bottom