Gujarat: No Toll Tax on Private Cars & Small Vehicles From 15th Aug 2016

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

SURAT: With the 2017 assembly election in sight, CM Anandiben Patel on Saturday announced that cars and small vehicles, including three-wheelers, will be exempted from paying toll tax on state as well as national highways in Gujarat from August 15.

However, this exemption is limited to private vehicles. Taxis and other commercial vehicles will have to pay regular toll tax.
Link

Regards

Akash

Re: Gujarat: No Toll Tax on Private Cars & Small Vehicles from 15th Aug 2016.

Is this an election gimmick?
As an end user, I am definitely happy. But what is the impact on the Gujarat exchequer?

This has been implemented long before by Maharashtra Government. Actually total revenue collection from private four wheeler is not the biggest chunk of toll collection but it increases waiting time and hence waste of fuel.
Anyways as a direct beneficiary I am happy to hear.

This has been implemented long before by Maharashtra Government. Actually total revenue collection from private four wheeler is not the biggest chunk of toll collection but it increases waiting time and hence waste of fuel.
Hmm that is interesting. I thought the four wheelers were the biggest source of revenue for toll gate keepers - seeing the sheer number of cars near toll gates.
I did not know that Maharashtra had already implemented this policy. As far as I recall, there was some vandalism by some political party regarding the toll fees as few years ago but I am not aware of toll free policy. I remember paying toll around Pune somewhere in 2010.

Now that is a great news. I think other states must follow the footsteps of Maharashtra & Gujarat. If the four wheeler is not the main contributor of toll, then I think its a good idea to remove the toll collections of private cars.

bhvm

Honoured Member
The implementation by Maharashtra Govt is very patchy.

Small tolls (which earlier were 20~30~50 Rs) do not collect. However the real killers (80~115~120~145) these kinds of tolls continue to loot Passenger cars. Is this some kind of dadagiri ?

Top Bottom