Tata Zest Makeover in Works

Thread Starter #1
TATA Motors is all ready to Test the all new ZEST and Maybe the BOLT in its V2 Avatar. After tepid sales for it's ZEST sedan which did well with about 3000 cars for month suddenly dropped after BOLT was released into the market. Now selling around 1500-2000 cars a month which is much less than the expected numbers. Maybe TATA Motors is all set for a re-run of ZEST.

As per ZAUBA's website Export Data TATA Motors has exported two TATA ZEST Protopyte vehicles to it's European test center in TURIN ITALY. The prototypes were exported on 12-Jul-2016 via Mumbai Air cargo. They are for TEST & RETURN purposes.

TATA ZEST ZAUBA.jpg

Last edited:
Re: All New ZEST in the making...... Another make over

My guess is there will be the obvious front and rear design changes, more in line with their Impact design theme. The Bolt would obviously need a body-sheel change itself. Along with that, there could be upgrades in engines. The 4cyl 1.2T Revotron powering the current Zest has only 12 valves. We can expect the new Zest to get 16 valves along with Turbo, thus increasing the power output to around 95bhp. Or there could be the Tiago's 3cyl 1.2 Revotron, equipped with an FGT for the Zest and Bolt.
The highly likely engine upgrade is the new 1.5L Revotorq which is expected to replace the 1.3MJD.
Since the Nexon is expected to get 110bhp from the same engines, the Zest's engines might come with an FGT to differentiate the power outputs from those of the Nexon.
Also I expect the new Zest and Bolt to come with high range features such as Cruise control, Auto wipers, headlamps and better interiors as well, to compete with the Ameo/Polo.

I guess it could be the petrol variant with AMT and not any make over as such. Hope I am wrong here however, I dont see any make over for zest as yet.

I believe the AMT units are magentii marelli which is an italian company. So basically this could be testing of the petrol amt units only.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

There was a talk about and also remind you that ZEST was spotted recently along with a NEXON CUV parked in a basement parking lot. That shows that a refreshed version is in the making. The test car was all stickered with ZEST printed camouflage. That is something true that a refreshed car in scheduled. As BOLT will also be completely refreshed to sweep off any reminances of the VISTA, the ZEST too will carry forward the same design flow and features.

That shows that the all new ZEST over the horizon.

Rather than any new features, Zest need a CNG version.
Zest competitor's Amaze, Xcent, Dzire are compactible with CNG and comes with OEM warranty. Why not Zest?
This is deciding factor for customers who are using their car on daily basis in City's.

They may add storage places inside the cabin like tiago.

Petrol amt is under testing and may be released soon.

The engines may be left untouched, not much changes expected anyways

Thread Starter #8
i think they will add few feature like
start stop button
rear arm rest
rear ac vents
7 inch touch screen
There was news that TATA Motors entered an agreement to contract manufacture electrical devises with a German Auto component company to make electrical items like keys, control units, antenna, door sensors, electronic steering lock and a start-stop button systems that were not seen on TATA cars before.

Business-standard.com

Yes Zest and bolt will come next year and assumptions are that Tata will launch it exactly the time Maruti will launch its New Swift.

And I think its can be a good strategy by launching Zest when Maruti launches Swift and when they launch new Dezire they will launch Bolt. nice [clap]

Good to see Tata preparing to lock horns with Maruti on right time with right product this time, hopefully

If this is fact then TATA should drop the idea of launching with Maruti. As SWIFT is all-time popular and demanding car. Either BOLT should have to be released very early before SWIFT comes to market, so that it will get chance to prove itself in market.

TATA should really have to think out-of-box with boring INDICA VISTA shape/style.

BOLT MJD engine from Fiat is very popular for TAXI purpose due to its performance and less maintenance. But still BOLT couldn't mark its feet on INDIAN market, the reason being the shape/design.

First of all, TATA should make a car which has its own unique design and character.It should stand out on road among sea of other cars.For eg swift and ambassador have their own unique design and till date standout among other cars.Bolt due to is design looks like a facelift version of vista instead of having its own character.

Few points which I would have done while developing new BOLT.

1 When you are designing a new car it should be longer and wider. Basically bigger than every other car it is going to compete with;indians love big,especially their cars.

2 Design should be revoltutionariy not evolutionary ,If it is in the price range of 5 to 6 lakh it does not mean it has to look that way too.You can take different design elements from different cars of different segments be it sports car,coupe,suv or luxuary sedan and then amalgamate all these into a unique and elegant design.Unique and standout does not mean it has to be quirky,elegance goes long way while quirkness fade away.

3 Design of the car should turn heads (in a postive way).A exceptional design with medicore engine would sell more than a average design with exceptional engine.A breath taking design is more than half the battle won ,I cannot emphasize on it more!

4 The car should outshine the cars from one segment above,for eg a bolt that could not only take the competition to i20 and baleno but outdo them in looks,engine refinment ,power and handling.

5 Tata should start a new brand to sell it new generation cars,with new logo,swanky showroom,well trained and dressed salespersons who should be humble and polite at all times.This brand should have its own service stations and when you buy a car a service manager should be allotted to each customer who will be responsible for customer after sale experience,anything good or bad; he will be directly responsibele for it in front of company management.

6 Marketing :Advertisment is very important; it sets the tone and theme of the car in people mind.It should be such that it makes the current owners proud of the car and make others aspire to get the car.

7 Make safe cars ,get them tested by gncap and get 5 or atleast 4 stars .Then do some in your face marketing of it.Like a video playing on a big screen in the showroom ,of the ncap testing of other cars who have fared poorly and your car which have scored 5 star.Let the customer decide in which cabin he or she want to be along with their family.While buying a car indians generally do not realize what an accident can do to a car and what a difference a safe car can make to life and death .They generally blame their ill fate for the accident and forget that a safe car can make the cruical difference between their life and death in such cases,you have to make them realize this by in your face marketing of accident and their effect on safe(YOURS) and unsafe cars(OTHER BRANDS).

8 Mileage should be always between 12 to 15 under city conditions and 15 to 20 on a highway(in real life conditions).

9 You should always undercut the competition in term of price ,variant to variant even if it is a mere rs15000.

10 If you do all this, then bolt will not only attract customer from its segment[grand i10 and swift} but from a lower segment [who will be geting a much bigger and better car for few thousand more and from one segment above[baleno and elite i20} who will be getting a better or similar car(dimension) for few thousand less.

@akula,

1. Size. Do you know there are benefits for producing a car within 4 mtrs length. And hence the development of sub 4mtr hatch/sedan? And that excise duty benefits are passed on to customers.

2&3. Design. Well, therz a reason why I20 costs upwards of 7 lakhs while Nano costs just 2. Every surface costs money. Every line. Every crease.

4. That will again increase the price of the car.

5. Agreed they can do better in Sales and service, BUT new brand? HAve you imagined the cost that will go into creating a new brand? It will all be recovered from the product sales. That is we customers will have to pay a premium for the same product (literally).

6. Yeah, they can be better here too. We really miss those 'reclaim your life' ads.

7. Next year India gets its own crash evaluation thing. Lets see how well the competitors fare in this.

8. Real world condition efficiency depends on a lot of things, which cant be accounted for by the manufacturers during test condition.

9&10. This is a mere speculation. Therz no guarantee there.

Well from engineering point of view, I guess Tata cars are at par if not more, with the competition. the Bolt, Zest, Tiago and Nano offer features which are best in segment or may be a segment above.
Engine is at par with competition.

Space is unparalleled in segments. Also its a myth that we indians like big and spacious cars. that not true, Tata car are a ones which offer max space internally, however, they are not the best sellings instead the cars which offer less are max selling. Incidently the new tata offering Tiago has bit constrained space compared to other tatas. I felt Nano offered more space than tiago, and Tiago is best selling car for Tata.

Yes where tata is lacking is brand value, and its visibility in the market. They are trying hard and sparing no effort to increase their brand value, however, things not going in thier favour, first the Zika virus and then Messi mess. Wish they succeed with this activity.
I guess they need to make reclaim my life type of ads or ads suiting the segment they are in. They need to tell/shout that products offered are world class and value for money. After sales is improving and need to advertise that just like toyota 60 min ads, and Ford service ads. This is missing in Tata

Last edited:
1. Size. Do you know there are benefits for producing a car within 4 mtrs length. And hence the development of sub 4mtr hatch/sedan? And that excise duty benefits are passed on to customers.
Yes ,I know about the benefit of keeping it within 4mtr.Bolt is 3825m in length it can be increased to 4m along with width.

2&3. Design. Well, therz a reason why I20 costs upwards of 7 lakhs while Nano costs just 2. Every surface costs money. Every line. Every crease.
I know fancy design cost more but that's the challenge !to design within the given budget.It will be hard but not impossible.

4. That will again increase the price of the car.
You can outshine in terms of look,size,and engine while still keeping the price in your budget by clever cost cutting,taking out few fancy features.Tiago to some extent has already done this,if it had better engine and little bit more in terms of length and width it would surely attract lot more buyer from swift,grand i10 category.

5. Agreed they can do better in Sales and service, BUT new brand? HAve you imagined the cost that will go into creating a new brand? It will all be recovered from the product sales. That is we customers will have to pay a premium for the same product (literally).
Maruti has done it in terms of nexa,without charging any considerable premium.You need to make investment for return,that's business.At present TATA brand is not desirable"for majority indians",if they have to become market leader then they don't have other option.Modern indian is willing to pay slight premium for better service and brand value.Car business is a long term play and I feel this will take TATA to places in future

8. Real world condition efficiency depends on a lot of things, which cant be accounted for by the manufacturers during test condition.
I agree,but still i think real world mileage under normal conditions should not go below 12.If 100 peole out of 1000 are getting mileage below 12 in city then it is because of their individual conditions, for which manufaturer cannot be held accountable but if 800 people are getting mileage below 12 and you have claimed mileage of 25 then fault lies with the engine.Point being there cannot/should not be a "huge" gap betwen the claimed mileage and the real world mileage.

9&10. This is a mere speculation. Therz no guarantee there.
Agree, to be precise "business speculation".

I agree that all of it is not simple,but you can't become market leader is the most competitive car market through simple.It is a challenge and you will have to accept and outdo the challenge.It's difficult but not impossible.

For example in case of zest instead of taking inspiration from other compact sedan you can take inspiration from this:

Attachments

Top Bottom