Kerala: NGT Bans 10 Year Old & 2000+ CC Diesel Cars

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
KOCHI: National Green Tribunal's (NGT) special circuit bench at Ernakulam has banned the use of diesel vehicles older than 10 years, as in Delhi.

The tribunal has also ordered that fine of Rs 10,000 be imposed if the older diesel vehicles are run after 30 days.

It was alleged in the petition that Kochi has earned the reputation of being the most polluted city and that the fate of fast-growing regions in Kerala is no different.
link

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Re: NGT bans 10 year old, 2000CC and above 2000CC diesel cars in Kerala

This NGT ban seems to be catching up on states, after Delhi - NCR region, sure a deathnell
for SUV's mainly.

Not long before this applies to other prosperous states as well.

Yes, I think slowly but surely Diesels will move out of private ownership and Direct Injection Turbo charged coupled with Hybrids will move in. Kind of back door way of stopping people getting the benefit of lower Diesel taxation for Private car owners.

Somehow I feel Maruti i.e Suzuki has a hand even in this policy as they are the one player with low Diesel Tech and dont really have Diesel engine more 2000 cc anywhere in the world.

Still can't get over how a CIAZ SHVS is supposedly less polluting than a say Honda City Ivtec Petrol enjoying lower Central Government taxation by 10% and on road benefit of around 12%. Maruti can hence easily price Diesel Ciaz at Honda City Petrol prices.

Kollam, Thrissur, Kozhikode and kannur these are simple towns, cities and some district headquarters. Is pollution really problem there, common man severely effected.

-suryaputhra

Re: Kerala: NGT Bans 10 Year Old Above 2000cc Diesel Cars

How did these Govts permit manufacturing/selling of all this so categorised vehicles 10years back? What were they doing all these 10yrs when people were investing their hard earned money? What fines should be imposed on these Govts now?

Can an individual file a petition and bring these concerns over these Govts? Please share your thoughts.

Very unfortunate verdict and that too for a state like Kerala. There are close to 96 lakh registered vehicles in Kerala for a state of its size and population. Definitely the pollution level is rising up but not at the heights of Delhi or any other metros. On a long term perspective phasing out diesels makes sense but it is not going to happen in a months’ time. Delhi is still able to manage the ban because CNG is freely available and there has been continuous investments from government side which is not the case in Kerala. When people talk about ban there will be always a question, what next? Here there is no immediate solution and if you ask me, bringing a blanket ban on anything (diesel vehicles or liquor) is not going to work out. It should be done in a phased manner by giving the government ample time to do some investments and then implement.

I also feel that India as a nation will get immense benefit if we are going to adopt Hybrid electric vehicles. Definitely this is going to be the future, but again the government has to wake up and come up with robust infrastructure to instil confidence among OEMs to introduce these models (affordable cars) to market. When European countries talk about Euro VI standards, they also work to strengthen their HEV market infrastructure by bringing up more charging stations and giving tax benefits to consumers and car makers which means both goes hand-in-hand. Here we are talking about BS VI by giving a skip to BS V but no mention about hybrids. We can hope that the government will soon come out with a HEV policy for the nation.

As Vinodji said, I sense a some kind of favoritism in the car manufactures. Seems like this ban is targetting a set of OEMs and partial towards some others. Why is there a cap of 2000 CC? If you feel Diesel is bad ban completely.
What does that say, petrol is environment friendly. I would have appreciated the NGT efforts had they first given insane benefits to electric vehicles first and then brought about this ban on all vehicles.

I think the way to go had been. First the commercial vehicles irrespective of fuel type, ban over 15 years. That way commercial vehicles will have to be replaced and bringing on better and less polluting vehicles on road.

Then banning 15 year old private Petrol and Diesel vehicles.

Targetting a particular class of vehicle is not warranted.

Now my question is why is only the automotive industry targetted by the NGT. Why not other industries? there so many small scale industries just letting the effluent in air/water without treating. Target them in every nook and corner of the country. Why is NGT forcing stop of fossil fuel for electricity generation. Coal, Oil are equally polluting the environment and that too on a large scale.

Last edited:

When we purchase a new car, RT is paid for 15 years. NGT has not spoken about that. For the current owners will the govt refund the RT for the remaining 5 years?
Henceforth will the govt charge RT only for 10 years?

There are many questions which needs solid answers. I am sure that the govt will move to the court against this verdict and it will be on hold.

I hope next Bangalore and Hyderabad politically motivated it seems[anger]. In Delhi 15 year old petrol cars also banned.

-Suryaputhra

Last edited:

When we purchase a new car, RT is paid for 15 years. NGT has not spoken about that. For the current owners will the govt refund the RT for the remaining 5 years?
Henceforth will the govt charge RT only for 10 years?

There are many questions which needs solid answers. I am sure that the govt will move to the court against this verdict and it will be on hold.
It's not just GodFather here but I've seen lot of others mentioning the loss of only 5yrs of tax but there is obviously more than that involved in our investments on buying these vehicles.

For ex:- If someone is buying an Isuzu V-Max for personal use like farming then is that guy allowed to use it only for 10yrs after paying 15 odd Lakhs? If so, what is he supposed to do with that vehicle after 10yrs? Should such guys keep spending 15 to 20 lakhs every 10years? What for is his life?

Obviously we cant expect a 1500cc diesel motor to fulfil his requirement. Atleast, I don't see any value in this decision by NGT? Why doesn't it charge Govts for permitting the business men who dealt with such vehicles. I say NGT should strictly say that Govts should buy back all those aged vehicles to satisfy the asking price from users. And it should strictly be not saying something like 'Consideration for discount on purchase of new vehicle' - which is a crap and nothing good for. [anger]

Last edited:

I have few old gems like 1998 Zen, Mahindra MM540 like, if they ban in metros I thought using them in my home town Nellore, its a district head quarter like Kollam, Thrissur. If they ban too in towns do we need to use these cars in villages and jungles.[anger].Technology is advancing I hope they can control pollution with out banning automobiles because automobiles are not the one causing major pollution.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:

Decision of govt is good in one way as Kerala Transport bus (KSRTC),still has more than 200 buses running after a period of more than 15 years ,the pollution caused by this only keralites know.

Above 2000cc ,cars like Innova and all will be affected ,but i think it will be relieved soon,or this law won't be implemented ,as all ministers cars here are Innova except some rich teams which have Porsche cayene.

Most owners in kerala especially ones having diesel take care of their rides well,so i haven't seen diesel ones emitting more smoke,except the KSRTC bus which i mentioned formerly.[lol]

Car with 2000cc also banned pls read article, mods change the title.

-suryaputhra

Decision of govt is good in one way as Kerala Transport bus (KSRTC),still has more than 200 buses running after a period of more than 15 years ,the pollution caused by this only keralites know.

Above 2000cc ,cars like Innova and all will be affected ,but i think it will be relieved soon,or this law won't be implemented ,as all ministers cars here are Innova except some rich teams which have Porsche cayene.

Most owners in kerala especially ones having diesel take care of their rides well,so i haven't seen diesel ones emitting more smoke,except the KSRTC bus which i mentioned formerly.[lol]
I think NGT verdict permits registration of cars for government use. It allows the government officials to roam around in their Innovas [:D]

Top Bottom