Tata Motors Hints On All New Entry Level Hatchback

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

TATA's Nano was launched with a view of being the most pocket friendly car but the Nano even after getting many cosmetic upgrades and facelift did not do the desired numbers for Tata Motors. Now, officials of TATA Motors have hinted towards plans of introducing an All New Entry Level Hatchback Car to compete with the likes of Datsun, Renault and many others since this particular segment has seen a lot of changes in India.

link

Regards

Akash

Well Mr. Cyrus Mistry had given an ultimatum to Nano Team I think in 2014/15, if they don't pull up their sock and get good numbers for the Nano by 2017, he will scrap the same.

I think, it was a planned strategy then, as the stringent 2017 NCAP laws will come into effect, and they wouldn't want to invest more on the Nano platform, so now what happens to Palican? Or is this new car the Pelican.

Lets wait & watch.

Well that makes sense,

Come 2017, New Bharat NCAP regulation may come in force, then the Nano will not be able to pass those tests, so a new platform may be required. Again looking at the number generated by nano facelift is not sufficient to remain cost effective.

Nano is great brand but associated with adjectives like Cheap, and costing 1 lakh. So paying 3lacs for a nano is not justified (for many), even if you are getting AMT, AC, PowerSteering, Blue Tooth amphistream ICE, Sunroof.

People want all the goodies at 1 lac even on this day. So it is better to get rid of the name Nano and bring a new name.

I think its the right time to get to the entry level Segment.

Now alto is loosing steam towards Kwid and we will have Redigo which will again eat atleast some pie atleast an option.
Maruti is launching facelift but not upto the mark with Kwid or redigo and by the time New Tata baby will be ready hopefully till then Tata will gain some market respect/brand image with Tiago twins and upcoming launches like Nexon - Hexa.

Tata bring in a good product and take the much deserved market share.

Just some info from here n there, Tata already done testing a small engine which was slated for Pelican. so this engine can be used in Pelican and new small hatch if these are two different cars. By this the RnD cost can be covered easily.

Just my understanding share your thoughts

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The name of this upcoming new hatchback hasn't been disclosed since the project is in initial stages. The officials seem to be gathering the feedback from the Nano Owners. Pelican is based on the Mega Pixel Concept of TATA which was believed to be placed between Nano and Tiago if I am correct but over here, the plans are for introducing a new Entry Level Hatchback (at present which is Nano). Also, in case of this new hatchback, neither the platform nor any other info has been provided presently. I might be think a bit loud here, but, is it possible, that this new Hatchback could mark the end of the Nano?

Regards

Akash

That's how it sounds to me too, how else can the statement "New entry level hatchback" be justified. It is impossible to have a car which costs lower than Nano.

Top Bottom