Repeated Case of Zero NCAP Crash Test Rating of Indian Cars

Thread Starter #1
Yet again indian cars scored zero crash ratings in the recent crash test results released NCAP in Faridabad.

The worst part is that these cars were not even structurally stable including the recently released Renault Kwid, i remember at launch, later last year, they had said that kwid meets all the required safety standards, i know there is none at present in India, but considering India is set to bring in new car safety norms by next year i was hoping high.

Cars tested - Hyundai Eon, Maruti Suzuki Eeco, Maruti Celerio, Mahindra Scorpio and three models of Renault Kwid.

It seems all the cars of Maruti are structurally unstable. [anger]

Links for reference:
Zero stars for Indian cars in latest crash tests: Global NCAP | Car News | SUV/Crossovers | Autocar India

Scorpio, Eon and others fail car crash test - Times of India

Re: Repeated case of zero NCAP crash rating of indian cars

The worst part is that these cars were not even structurally stable including the recently released Renault Kwid, i remember at launch, later last year, they had said that kwid meets all the required safety standards, i know there is none at present in India, but considering India is set to bring in new car safety norms by next year i was hoping high.
I too remember this.

To be honest even we consumers are to be blamed, we still buy a car without even basic safety features. All we want is keyless go, sunroof, touch-screen music system. But very rare buyers really go for ABS and Airbags variants. When we buy a car, we never look for safety, many of us buy tin-cans. Manufacturers too enjoy by getting higher profits, by manufacturing cars which does not come with ABS (for example Renault Kwid, Hyundai Eon, etc).

Sorry for being rude. No Offence to any owners. This is my opinion.

Last edited:

I guess we do have some safety regulations which the automobile manufacturers should follow. Below is the link which will show few of them.

http://164.100.105.199:8071/php/BIS/StandardsList.php?Name=Passive Safety Crash Protection Systems&tech=TED 29

It seems the cars made in India do pass the safety standards set by India. However the test methods used by NCAP may not be same as Indian standards and hence the car fails. Probably we may have to raise the Indian standards to international level and this will automatically force the manufacturers to build cars which will pass any tests on globe.

Surprising to see Mahindra Scorpio got 0 star .
And this is not expected from manufacturer like Renault.

Lucky maruti, NCAP only tested their dead product (Celerio), if they had tested their baleno, maruti would have faced troubles. These results shows the unethical side of these companies. I expected scorpio to score atlest 2 stars, it was the only car i thought has some body strength but it disappointed me and for other cars i knew that those tin cans would be crushed to glory.
Tata please send your cars to prove your mettle!

Surprising 0 star rating for Mahindra Scorpio. Hope When tata sell their cars they come with better results.
No surprises for the tin can manufacturers.
its basically our buyer mistake. we continue to buy the unsafe product just because person next door has bought it. Why will manufacturer reduce their profit margin by implementing cost involving features to make it safe.
Inspite of these results have the car sales come down? Have the safety features been put as a standard? Have the structure changed? No
It will not unless we decide.

Lucky maruti, NCAP only tested their dead product (Celerio), if they had tested their baleno, maruti would have faced troubles. These results shows the unethical side of these companies.
Celeriac is not a dead product. Last month it sold 8k examples. Baleno has already seen a crash test where it collapsed like a tin can. It is always called a tin can car company.

I expected scorpio to score atlest 2 stars, it was the only car i thought has some body strength but it disappointed me and for other cars i knew that those tin cans would be crushed to glory.
Tata please send your cars to prove your mettle!
Same with Mahindra exception XUV, Which is structurally much better built Monoque chassis vehicle. People has survived in a crashed Safari but not in a Scorpio.

TATA Motors is the only company to have its own crash test facility at its Pune facility. It's XENON has scored 4 stars at AUS NCAP. It's non-EBD version scored 2 stars though.

Except for scorpio, none of the results are surprising!
I feel just testing base version is not correct, tests should be carried for both base as well as top version of any car. Most of the base versions would score a zero in india.
What about other car manufacturers? Would be good to know how Tiago fares in this.

I would bet that the top version of the Scorpio will also not fare well. Merely adding airbags is not enough! The chassis must be designed to dissipate impact forces. It is clear from the deformation contours that the Scorpio dissipates nothing externally through its frame, on the contrary, the entire engine block becomes one heavy hammer wedging through the passenger compartment. Adding the airbag will merely prevent instant death. And dont forget the dynamic loss of control for a heavy, high CG SUV during or after impact.

Look at this accident, skip to 1.50 for the relevant (Scorpio) rear collision by the bus. See how the passenger compartment is crumpled and the SUV is literally trashed about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFFtCO3wXIA

Last edited:

I think the European Baleno have different quality as compared to Indian Baleno.
@Abhijeetp, If Tiago gets 0 STAR, this will be the talk of the day for the indian car buyers. Celerio will be accepted as it is coming from maruti but Tiago will be rejected as it is coming from TATA.
Our people just go by 2 things while buying cars, STATUS (logo on the grill) and RESALE value. They JUST DONT CARE HOW THE CAR IS BUILT.

What is the selection criteria for cars to be tested? I was curious to see how HONDA CITY will fare in GNCAP crash test. They should chose top 3 selling in each segment and test. We don't know the crash test ratings of CIAZ and CITY (Thought for CITY ASEAN NCAP ratings are available. But not sure it is Indian version). I doubt any of the Hyundai cars will get anything beyond 1o r 2 stars as they manufacture cars using sub par parts in India. I don't think consumer is always at fault. I for one looking for any car with 5 star safety rating. Only car available is Innova Crysta which costs 25L. Top variant consists of 50% of their bookings which shows that consumers do care about safety if options available. Similarly Ecosport sells around 60% of the cars with 6 airbags. I am always amazed why HONDA does not offer features like ESC/VSA, Hill Hold Assist, Seat Belt Reminder Systems etc. (which are available in other Asian countries). I hope some day rules will be changed to offer features like ESC, 6 airbags as mandatory. It pains to see so many deaths in ORR.

Only Scorpio has surprised me and man, was that some small surprise? That also at such a moderate speed!! [surprise]

Although it's completely normal for the SUVs to get minor deformation on their long roof under crashes or crash tests but the way the Scorpio has crumpled ahead of the B pillars is really worrisome. Leave aside two, even six Airbags also won't help in Scorpio at a crash happening at over 80 kph.

The door, A pillar, roof-A pillar joint area, roof itself; none has behaved in a likeable manner. No wonder there is a huge number of casualties in accidents involving Scorpio and our as well as of other forum's accident thread is a testimony to the same.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

If Tiago gets 0 STAR, this will be the talk of the day for the indian car buyers. Celerio will be accepted as it is coming from maruti but Tiago will be rejected as it is coming from TATA.
Our people just go by 2 things while buying cars, STATUS (logo on the grill) and RESALE value. They JUST DONT CARE HOW THE CAR IS BUILT.
Sad but true. Seldom does a product gets judged on its merits and de-merits. I would say, a simple thing, which at large applies to every industrial sector here and even worldwide, We can have a good product from a average brand and an average product from a good brand. Also, as an enthusiast and an informed buyer, we should never be biased towards any brand and evaluate every aspect before committing to it.

Eg: Maruti, they scored Zero in many of their hatchbacks earlier too, yet the biggest reason for their sales is the blind faith in brand and blind faith in their product irrespective of fact whether a better product than a Maruti exists here aswell. It is difficult to change people's perception. And more over, the prime concern is FE Engine. Majority of buyers fall for FE and Comfort over safety. For the resale, Brand's logo decides the resale. It depends whether the brand enjoys the trust and respect in the market or not. Though MSIL being patriarch of Indian car brands as they were among the first few automotive brands in India which gave passenger cars yet people need to understand that with time, the brand Maruti Suzuki has deteriorated and isn't the same as it used to be. Uptill now, only 2 cars of Suzuki and Maruti I found to be face-saving in terms of safety i.e S-Cross (for no shortcuts like MSIL cars) and Brezza simply because it has been crash tested properly. Rest all their cars are in terms of safety below average as I see.

About TATA being talk of the town for a Zero Rating, that is because, TATA does not have the blind faith of people still like MSIL. MSIL does not have to worry much but TATA has to. We as buyers need to instill our confidence in the brand and evaluate the product wisely.

An old example of my childhood, I would share (August 1993). We had Premier Padmini, (and that time, no NCAP / other came up and no safety devices) which met with a T-bone accident with a matador in Delhi. Me and my dad survived without a single scratch. Can a Maruti or any Other "solid" built car of today survive such a crash? We should never forget the fact that any brand's mantra of today is profit and least investment and more returns. So, it is left to us customer to make the decision.

PS: After these crash test reports, How many of the buyers would actually stop buying the Scorpio? Or Kwid? Also, If I am correct, Datsun's hatchback had also got poor ratings for India and it was notified to Datsun as well but still the same hatchback can be seen in good numbers in commercial segment in India. So, I think, until the time, Indians value the safety as a main concern over the looks and comfort and treat each brand as equal and the product wisely, till then many of the brands will keep offering such sub-rated built quality products which deliver in FE but not on safety in reality.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

Found a couple of crash test videos of Tata Xenon and Tata Indica Vista, interestingly both have stable structures and have earned respectable stars:

Xenon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwRWkmLTy14

Vista:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJlcnEQLbQs

For Maruti, I fail to understand why can't they add any front collision protection bars to their best selling cars (Swift, Alto, Celerio, WagonR etc.). I feel bad to be rude here but have to say they are playing dangerously with the lives of the people and should at least offer structurally stable cars. Most of the people buying Maruti are not even aware of safety specific things they just think of easy maintenance and Maruti exploits it badly.

Surprisingly, same model (Maruti Swift) fares well in Europe but the Indian model's structure just gets collapsed in the crash test, a lot of indian (rural) people think maruti as a desi (Indian) brand initially owned by Indian Govt. but this, their very own company, is cheating them and playing with their lives. [anger]

Wow 0 stars for scorpio. Even keeping stars aside, an suv should have an overall strong structure. Seeing crash results of vista and tata products is making me think about buying tata cars instead of tin can maruti, however high the service costs maybe.

Edit:update
Also, looking forward to Tiago ncap crash test but as @ggnIT mentioned about quality difference in Maruti Swift europe version and Indian version. I've read somewhere that tata is also doing the same thing, providing extra structural strength in exported models. So, maybe Tata cars made in India may not be safe afterall and are poor when it comes to safety like other brands.

Last edited:

Top Bottom