Automatic De-Registration of 15 Year Old Vehicles on Cards

Re: "Automatic de-registration" of 15 year old vehicles on cards

So now, new buyers need to pay tax for 15yrs instead of the one lifetime tax that buyers pay now.

Also there is no details provided for the scrapping policy. Mr nitin gadkari was supposed to introduce scrapping policy & certain discount on purchase of new car after old one is scrapped. No such decision is taken as of now.

Stricter implementation of puc is needed, when I visit puc stations I am asked whether to go by machine results or by fake results as they write the results manually on puc. Too many loopholes everywhere which needs to be fixed.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: "Automatic de-registration" of 15 year old vehicles on cards

I believe, indeed there are many loopholes in this rule prior to implementation. Firstly, to effectively implement the rule here in India, we need to strike off the word "Jugaad" from our dictionaries. Next to be struck off is the "Chai-paani" which is prevailing and hinders implementing of any rule here. The ideas of our authorities are actually positive and shall be in best interest of the country/citizens but the infrastructure to implement them needs a big-time unbiased overhauling. Also, many may think, speaking from comfort of a home/office is easier than facing the situations on the roads but the fact is the commuters/drivers are largely responsible for highlighting/following such corrupt practices like Jugaad et al. Foremost, we as owners/drivers should maintain our vehicles in best of shape and comply to all the rules. We should never promote or deal with middle men or shortcuts.

PS: In a state/city where RTO agents are ready to give a false address proof for transferring/re-registering a vehicle in 10-20K, how difficult do we think is making a car pass fitness test after 15 years? In India, prior to making/implementing of 1 rule, there are 100 alternatives designed to break the rule. First the mentality has to change only then these rules are of any importance and meaning.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Re: "Automatic De-registration" of 15 Year Old Vehicles on Cards

^^, ^, all said & done this Tuglaki Farmaan, will die a certain death.

Let me start at the bottom of the pyramid, where the hell will these scrapped vehicles be dumped? on the roadside, in villages, in the river/seas?, so no plan.

India has a heritage of vintage & classic cars, where will these go.

I am sure many smart Alex will move the court, where it will not hold a candle to this farmaan.

OT, wasn't Tuglak dead & buried long ago?

the vehicles to be scrapped will definitely be recycled for the metal parts.

Well i dont think so. Probably what may happen is once the car reaches 15 years then the owner should get a car fitness renewed every year or he/she can scrap the car.

Now imagine the case where I am spending 2 crores which will turn to nothing in 15 years. What business sense will it make. What will owners of such fancy cars do? The car prices have to come down drastically if this were to be achieved else desi junta will not knowingly invest somuch of their hard earned money in the car. Resale value will go down.

So cars will be the first such investment instrument which will have capability of giving returns of ZERO rupees irrespective of the amount invested in it. "any mount to zero in 15 years."

Last edited:

Couple of months back saw an interview on this topic where Nitin Gadkari was talking about such proposal. I think there were two benefits for person disposing off his 15 year old car.
1. Discount on Life tax for the new vehicle that a person buys after giving off the old vehicle.
2. Some discount in price as well on the new car if the old car is being given away after 15 years. (Something similar to exchange bonus)

I think the old system of getting fitness certificate would continue. This could be just some sort of an additional incentive in terms of reduced price and reduce life time tax on new car for a person to give up his old car.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
At present do anyone buy cars for scrapping in India, like other countries? If yes, then its easy for one to dispose the old cars (over and above 15 years old). Scrap yards are there in many countries and they buy all these old cars.

If government implement the automatic De-registration of 15 year old vehicles, we must have these kind of scrap yards..

See what they are doing in Malaysia :

Scrap Car: Make Money from Your Old and Written Off Car | Thanam

Top Bottom