Compact Sedan or Compact SUV?

Thread Starter #1
Sometime back transition from hatches to compact sedan made people crazy and they felt that they have bought big car. Now it is the era of compact SUV. If you compare both which is the winner? With Volkswagen Ameo compact sedan segment heated up and with Vitara Breeza compact SUV segment heated up.

If you compare features wise gzimos, gadgets that this everything is there in Volkswagen Ameo same with the Vitara Breeza. If you look at pricing here and then 50K to 100K is not an issue so what factors make people to go for compact sedan and vice versa.

-suryaputhra.

Last edited:
Re: Compact Sedan or Compact SUV

If you compare both which is the winner?
It's always personal choice I must say. Both hold their own Pros and Cons.
Hatch --> C.Sedan is almost a boot addition by extending the platform, where as in case of compact UVs there involves a lot many changes in underbody parts to facilitate the higher ground clearance without compromising the handling performance. To me, a 2 box design (HB / C.SUV) is more practical than a 3 box so called C.Sedan.

Thread Starter #3

It's always personal choice I must say. Both hold their own Pros and Cons.
Hatch --> C.Sedan is almost a boot addition by extending the platform, where as in case of compact UVs there involves a lot many changes in underbody parts to facilitate the higher ground clearance without compromising the handling performance. To me, a 2 box design (HB / C.SUV) is more practical than a 3 box so called C.Sedan.
Well said, I am reclined rear seat lover, after comparing Hatchs and Compact SUVs I have selected Compact sedan, only for one reason sedan like rear seat with good anchoring and inclination. Scross and Eritiga etc has got reclining rear seat option but not good in anchoring support. My wife don't like high rise seating in SUV and Compact Sedan. I love driving low ground clearance vehicles.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Surya, It goes without saying that both segments mentioned above have their own utility. Now, in today's time a lot many factors come into play while making a decision for car purchase like foremost is the budget, then comes the requirement, then comes the price and then come factors like maintenance, parking space et al. There are many households which have limited budget but need a decent car at hand so with the competitive prices and complex model portfolio the buyers get good amount of choices. For eg. in price bracket of 5.5 lac to 9 Lac there are number of choices like Zest, Amaze, Dzire, Ecosport, Brezza, Creta etc. There are many buyers who wish to have a feel of SUV but want a compact car which fulfills their needs and doesn't need too much of space and maintenance so they opt for Compact SUV. Also, same goes for Compact Sedan. If you compare a premium hatchback to compact sedan then I would say a premium hatchback is good but in India, many buyers look for added boot so as to have a feel of owning a sedan. More than practicality they go by the visual appeal of Compact Sedan over a premium Hatchback as the CS gives a added boot which helps buyers not to compromise on in-cabin space when carrying luggage. Talking of the requirement, as the price difference between hatchbacks, compact sedans and compact SUV is getting narrow today many people feel that owning a visually bigger vehicle shall give them more satisfaction. There are many buyers who make a car purchase decision simply going by the size of the vehicle and not indulging into knowing of the technicalities. Apart from the minute lot of informed enthusiasts which accounts to not more than 2-4 Lakhs, rest of the buyers make decision of buying a car based on their own perceptions. There are many who go simply by the fact that a particular model say Amaze is seen a lot on the roads so they too feel that ya buying an Amaze would be a nice and wise choice. Many who'll note that ya Creta is seen more on road than a big SUV so let us buy Creta. They do not think twice over other aspects and make a decision. Lastly, a major influence in car buying process is the "word of mouth" publicity. Many who are not as involved in cars do take 2nd opinions from their family and friends and based on their recommendation the decision to buy a car is made. So, in my view, the decision boils down to one's own perception of a car and above mentioned criteria.

Regards

Akash

Surya, It goes without saying that both segments mentioned above have their own utility. Now, in today's time a lot many factors come into play while making a decision for car purchase like foremost is the budget, then comes the requirement, then comes the price and then come factors like maintenance, parking space et al. There are many households which have limited budget but need a decent car at hand so with the competitive prices and complex model portfolio the buyers get good amount of choices. For eg. in price bracket of 5.5 lac to 9 Lac there are number of choices like Zest, Amaze, Dzire, Ecosport, Brezza, Creta etc. There are many buyers who wish to have a feel of SUV but want a compact car which fulfills their needs and doesn't need too much of space and maintenance so they opt for Compact SUV. Also, same goes for Compact Sedan. If you compare a premium hatchback to compact sedan then I would say a premium hatchback is good but in India, many buyers look for added boot so as to have a feel of owning a sedan. More than practicality they go by the visual appeal of Compact Sedan over a premium Hatchback as the CS gives a added boot which helps buyers not to compromise on in-cabin space when carrying luggage. Talking of the requirement, as the price difference between hatchbacks, compact sedans and compact SUV is getting narrow today many people feel that owning a visually bigger vehicle shall give them more satisfaction. There are many buyers who make a car purchase decision simply going by the size of the vehicle and not indulging into knowing of the technicalities. Apart from the minute lot of informed enthusiasts which accounts to not more than 2-4 Lakhs, rest of the buyers make decision of buying a car based on their own perceptions. There are many who go simply by the fact that a particular model say Amaze is seen a lot on the roads so they too feel that ya buying an Amaze would be a nice and wise choice. Many who'll note that ya Creta is seen more on road than a big SUV so let us buy Creta. They do not think twice over other aspects and make a decision. Lastly, a major influence in car buying process is the "word of mouth" publicity. Many who are not as involved in cars do take 2nd opinions from their family and friends and based on their recommendation the decision to buy a car is made. So, in my view, the decision boils down to one's own perception of a car and above mentioned criteria.

Regards

Akash
Superb explanation. The word of mouth is most important. That's why I am looking for good car with value for my money. But 2016 still nothing in 6 - 7 price.

Ameo may be. Need to wait

Last edited by a moderator:

The Kite 5 might be launched this year end or Jan 2017. It seems to be most VFM.
Tiago itself not sustain in good engine level..
Don't feel Kite could make any impact, as more weight more pulling.. Engine is downside

Don't feel Kite could make any impact, as more weight more pulling.. Engine is downside
what do you mean? Tiago can do 160kmph top speed. It feels linear in acceleration. owners are happy with the car.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Buddy did you drive a Tiago (Petrol or Diesel)?[:)] A full fledged Endurance Test was done on TIAGO by renowned automotive journos. They gave a "Thumbs Up" to it as well. So, I think, Tiago can do quite a decent job at high speeds. As of the Kite 5, lets not make assumptions of a product until and unless we have drive reviews of it flowing in.[:)]

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #10
Gurus saying compact sedan segment is not doing well and will die soon because buyers moving towards to premium hatches. Many manufacturers now entering into compact sedan segment. New cars in this segment like Ameo and Kite 5 having all the features and premium interiors like premium hatches, so what makes big difference not to buy compact sedan just Ugly shape, that point also not valid in Ameo and Kite 5 they are extremely good looking.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:
Personally i did not like the rear of ameo when i saw it at the auto expo while kite5 looked so much better than the ameo.
I do not like pseudo suv's for sure. For me, suv still mean safari, endeavour, fortuner etc these kind of large cars with 4X4 and whenever i hear people calling creta and brezza as suv, my first reaction is "dude, it does not even have 4X4."
Though out of all these cars i still prefer duster for its mechanicals.
Compact sedans on the other hand are cars which add practicality to hatches (only a little though) and in no way a replacement for proper sedans. When viewed carefully, there is no single proper sedan available in price range of 5-10L hence for that segment CS make sense but anything above 9L to 10L for CS would not be a good idea according to me.

what do you mean? Tiago can do 160kmph top speed. It feels linear in acceleration. owners are happy with the car.
Yes!! I made Test drive twice. Petrol engine. Even Dealer guy accepted this fact. So Just have TD and let me know. No violence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom