Mahindra Launches Sub-2L Diesel Scorpio and XUV

Thread Starter #1
To escape SC’s clampdown on diesel vehicles, Mahindra trims down engines of Scorpio and XUV500- soon to hit nationwide dealerships.

While the Scorpio is the first vehicle to get the smaller power plant, the more premium XUV 500 too will it get starting February, they added. "Currently, the XUV 500 (with the smaller engine) is under certification process

The company has made a smaller version of the MHawk engine that powers the Scorpio and XUV 500.

The new engine is of 1.9 litre, smaller than the 2.2-litre plant that traditionally powers the SUV and bringing it within the limits set by the court for registration of diesel vehicles.
A prototype of the new Scorpio with the trimmed-down engine has been approved by the Automotive Research Association of India and it will reach dealerships for sale soon
50586432.png

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/passenger-vehicle/uv/new-mahindra-scorpio-xuv500-with-sub-2l-diesel-engine-to-go-on-sale-soon/50582525

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Mahindra's to launch sub 2L diesel Scorpio and XUV

This is a nightmare!
There are hardly any powerful vehicles in India (By International standards) and now we get this. XUV/ Scorpio 2.2 are one of the gruntiest, Refined, reilable one could get hands on today.

I just hope Mahindra straps on 2 Turbos and other tricks to keep power values similar or I'll hate you for this!

I guess Torque will remain same while the Power will take a dip slightly, this is common with engine downsizing. An excellent move I would say, considering the fact that diesels powertrains are the only things that are currently at Mahindra.

I'll not be surprised if Mahindra develop new engines with less displacement and higher output compared to their current engines using Bi-Turbos in near future.

I hope other companies to take a leaf out of the M&M's book. I hope TATA Motors too is working on its 1998cc old work horse to get in line with the ruling for both SUMO and Safari Strome.

Jaguar too have their 1999cc Ingenium engine and the soon re-launching Evoque and the all new Discovery Sport can duck the order.

Thread Starter #5
re: Mahindra To Launch Sub-2L Diesel Scorpio and XUV:EDIT: Now Launched.

XUV500 & Scorpio get new 1.99L diesel engine - to launch soon.

The 1.99-litre engined models of Mahindra Scorpio and XUV500 will be made available very soon. While the 1.99-litre mHawk diesel engine will produce 120bhp for the Mahindra Scorpio, it will deliver 140bhp with the XUV500.

http://www.financialexpress.com/article/industry/automobiles/mahindra-scorpio-xuv500-get-1-99l-diesel-engine-sales-in-delhi-to-resume-soon/200157/

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member

it's unfortunate that manufacturers have to bow to stupid and meaningless rules laid down by government. these 1.9 engines appear to generate same power as large 2.2 beasts. is there free lunch in the world?

is something like a la' VAG- Audi coming up by giving huge power spec to tiny engines?

I was travelling around the city today and some stupid Rikshaws- emitting huge puffs of visual white smoke where encountered. they gave me a bad allergy. unfortunately, we see such polluters more often than not. where's the regulation or strictness for them?

I'm sure commercial sub 2L vehicles are polluting far more than even the craziest 6.2 L rolls Royce ghost engine.

Mahindra Official Press Release

Mahindra launches its new mHawk diesel engine variant

· Engine to power the New Generation Scorpio and the New Age XUV500
· To begin with would be available for customers in the Delhi and NCR Region

January 22 2016, Mumbai: Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., a part of the US $ 16.9 billion Mahindra Group, today announced the launch of its mHawk new 1.99 litre diesel engine. This engine would power the New Generation Scorpio as well as the New Age XUV500. It would be available for customers within the Delhi and NCR Region to begin with.

The new 1.99 litre engine will power the New Generation Scorpio and will deliver 120 HP while for the New Age XUV500, it will deliver 140 HP.

Speaking on this occasion, Pravin Shah, President & Chief Executive (Automotive), Mahindra & Mahindra said, “This new engine, the development of which started in August 2014, is now ready for launch on both the New Generation Scorpio and the New Age XUV500. We do hope that our customers would enjoy driving these vehicles which deliver the performance of our currently on offer 2.2 litre mHawk engines”.

About Mahindra

The Mahindra Group focuses on enabling people to rise through solutions that power mobility, drive rural prosperity, enhance urban lifestyles and increase business efficiency.

A USD 16.9 billion multinational group based in Mumbai, India, Mahindra provides employment opportunities to over 200,000 people in over 100 countries. Mahindra operates in the key industries that drive economic growth, enjoying a leadership position in tractors, utility vehicles, information technology, financial services and vacation ownership. In addition, Mahindra enjoys a strong presence in the agribusiness, aerospace, components, consulting services, defence, energy, industrial equipment, logistics, real estate, retail, steel, commercial vehicles and two wheeler industries.

In 2015, Mahindra & Mahindra was recognized as the Best Company for CSR in India in a study by the Economic Times. In 2014, Mahindra featured on the Forbes Global 2000, a comprehensive listing of the world’s largest, most powerful public companies, as measured by revenue, profit, assets and market value. The Mahindra Group also received the Financial Times ‘Boldness in Business’ Award in the ‘Emerging Markets’ category in 2013.
Visit us at Mahindra.com | Rise

Last edited:

So, Mahindra does it again!
First time to dodge the ground clearance rule and now the 2Ltr engine capacity rule. A couple of sleeves in the cylinder and a new piston to suit the lower bore, bingo we have a sub 2Ltr engine with the same power output (not sure of torque though).

Mahindra To Launch Sub-2L Diesel Scorpio and XUV

With a decrease in 200cc taking it down to 1999cc, The power figure published for XUV 5OO are the same but I find no reports whatsoever mentioning the torque that the 1.99L engine could be generating?!

My guess is it would have gone down a bit from 330Nm.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Buddies,

I checked with the dealership here in Noida. Both XUV-5OO and New Gen Scorpio with 1.99L diesel engine have been put up for display. As I have been told, at the time of invoicing, the Delhi-NCR customers will get the invoice mentioning the new engine capacity. Also, In the XUV-5OO I have been told that the Torque has been reduced by 10Nm and now the 1.99 L XUV-5OO Mhawk engine produces 320 Nm. About the TD, the dealership is offering the TD on vehicles with the older engine only. I am posting below some pics of both of them.

New Generation Scorpio with 1.99 Lt Diesel Engine.

20160226_143642.jpg

20160226_143625.jpg

20160226_143612.jpg

20160226_143554.jpg

20160226_143606.jpg

New XUV-5OO with 1.9 Lt Mhawk engine.

20160226_143706.jpg

20160226_143920.jpg

20160226_143956.jpg

Regards

Akash

Re: Mahindra To Launch Sub-2L Diesel Scorpio and XUV:EDIT: Now Launched.

While other manufacturers are still thinking and planning to challenge the judgement; Mahindra has gone a step ahead and launched the 1.99l diesel engines. Now I have three questions:
  • How will be the power delivery; especially the turbo lag part?
  • Engine reliability? I doubt this engine has gone through tough/rigorous testing like older 2.2l unit
  • Small engine may result in even better NVH and that will be a welcome
A thorough TD is needed now.

Is there a difference in pricing between the 2.2 Litres and the 1.99 Litres of these both vehicles?

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Akash buddy then how come they haven't updated about the 1.99Ltr engine in XUV5OO's spec page attaching the pic of it for your reference.
Everywhere except Delhi-NCR, XUV-5OO is sold with the bigger diesel engine only so as I am informed by dealer, upon invoicing the customer in Delhi-NCR would get the invoice mentioning 1.99 L on it. About having the webpage updated, I think Mahindra would do the needful. As of the brochures, I asked the executive, he told, they got a few of the updated brochures but all were used up.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom