Hyundai i20 & i20 Active Get Standard Dual Airbags

Thread Starter #1
The i20 variant line-up modified for 2016; top-spec Asta (O) gets projector headlamps and LED DRLs.

Following in the footsteps of its rivals on offering safety features across all trims, Hyundai has added dual front airbags as standard on the i20 and the i20 Active. The carmaker has also rejigged the i20's variant line-up for the year 2016.

The 2016 i20 comes in five trim levels. It continues to be offered with a choice of a 1.4-litre diesel and a 1.2-litre petrol engine option. The diesel version comes with a six-speed manual gearbox while the petrol model gets a five-speed unit. ABS, however, is still not on offer on the lower Era and Magna trims.

The i20 Sportz (O) trim has been discontinued. The top-spec 2016 i20 Asta (O) now sports projector headlamps with cornering function and LED daytime running lamps, as well as 16-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels. It also gets a 7.0-inch Audio Video Navigation system as standard. The Hyundai i20 competes with the likes of the Honda Jazz and the recently launched Maruti Baleno. The 2016 model year i20 will hit showrooms soon.

Hyundai i20, i20 Active get standard dual airbags | Car News | Premium hatchbacks | Autocar India

Re: Hyundai i20, i20 Active get standard dual airbags

The i20 variant line-up modified for 2016; top-spec Asta (O) gets projector headlamps and LED DRLs.
Hyundai i20, i20 Active get standard dual airbags | Car News | Premium hatchbacks | Autocar India
Wow, that is some news! I am sure this strategy was adopted to make Elite i20 a better-looking proposition in front of Baleno. Sportz variant with safety features will be real VFM.

TSIVipul would be regretting buying a Polo now! [lol]

Last edited:

That's an awesome news and this can hit the Baleno a bit.

@Ice_Wise:
Sirji Polo isn't bought for airbags, I simply bought what my heart liked(Hence the decision was taken in an hour).. No regrets at all. [:)]

This is good. I20 is a all rounder. So now it comes with added safety in all variants. It will be the better bet when compared to other premium hatches. However added ABS in all variants would be a killer.

Finally, Indian car market is started to consider the safety as an important aspect. I expect all the cars to have ABS and dual airbags as standard, at least before end of 2017..

I would anyday go for the basic variant with dual airbags and ABS and add the knick knacks to the car at a later point of time.

Standard safety features in all models will surely make the buyers with budget constraint happy [:D]

Dual Airbags as standard is surely a welcome move from Hyundai. Adding ABS would have made things even sweeter. Is there any amount of price hike too after this addition?

On a side note, the more expensive Creta does not get a single airbag in its base variants. I'm sure once the YBA compact SUV from Maruti is launched and the sales of Creta slow down a bit, they'll again add dual airbags in Creta as well like they've done now in i20. My question being for Hyundai India, why not be proactive and add it right away before the competition gets ahead and then you make efforts to match them.

Nice marketing strategy. What is the Price of each variety compared to baleno and Polo.
I loved the corning lamp. It's the first to introduce it to hatchback in India market.

Nice marketing strategy. What is the Price of each variety compared to baleno and Polo.
I loved the corning lamp. It's the first to introduce it to hatchback in India market.
Polo also has cornering lamps, and I think it got them well before Elite i20/Active.

Good to see the focus on safety by most of the car cos, further enhances the appeal of the i20 twins now!

So Hyundai is feeling the heat from Baleno. What's next? May be Baleno will start feeling the heat with this move.

Let them battle it out guys. Hope it gets more fierce and we (buyers) can have more fun. [;)]

elite was already a premium hot hatch to start with added advantage of hyundai fuss free ASS.
now with addition of projectors n airbags would definitely hurt baleno real bad as most people still perceive baleno as a swift with DRL's n projector though the interior of baleno is all different story,not to forget that baleno is limited to nexa outlet's limiting it's reach n the not so premium showroom experience as reported by few members.

Thread Starter #12
Hyundai announces upgrades for Verna, i20 and i20 Active

All three cars get dual front airbags; ABS standard across Verna range.

Hyundai has announced dual airbags as standard on the Verna. The news comes shortly after Hyundai equipping the i20 and the i20 Active with dual front airbags as standard.

The Verna also gets ABS as standard across its range. In addition to the safety features, the Verna gets a seven-inch touchscreen infotainment and navigation touchscreen along with a shark-fin radio antennae on its top-end variant.

The carmaker has rejigged the i20's variant line-up for the year 2016.The 2016 i20 comes in five trim levels. It continues to be offered with a choice of a 1.4-litre diesel and a 1.2-litre petrol engine option. The diesel version comes with a six-speed manual gearbox, while the petrol model gets a five-speed unit. ABS, however, is still not on offer on the lower Era and Magna trims.

The i20 Sportz (O) trim has been discontinued. The top-spec 2016 i20 Asta (O) now sports projector headlamps with cornering function and LED daytime running lamps, as well as 16-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels. Like the Verna, it gets a 7.0-inch Audio Video Navigation system as standard now. Additionally, the i20 gets a new ‘Phantom Black’ paint scheme.

The safety and feature enhancements introduced are available on all models January 2016 onwards.

Current Prices for Elite i20 & i20 Active are as follows:

Elite i20 Price (Ex Showroom, Delhi)
Petrol Diesel
Era 549,350 660,520
Magna 607,332 718,763
Sportz 660,509 775,427
Asta 712,424 824,372
Asta(O) 748,948 860,898

i20 Active Price (Ex Showroom, Delhi)
Petrol Diesel
Base 659,721 784,361
S 731,416 856,054