The Automotive India Car Of The Year 2015: Your Voice. Your Choice.

The Automotive India Car of the Year 2015 Award Goes To...

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team

TAI-COTY is back! Let me start off by wishing a Happy New Year 2016 to all the members of The Automotive India family. Started as our humble effort to encourage new advancements and quality vehicles in the Indian automobile industry, The Automotive India Car of the Year awards have come a long way since their inception.

Here's what makes TAI-COTY different from any other “Car of the Year Award” India has ever witnessed:

• There is no secluded “jury”. Your, the end-consumers', voice is the only opinion that counts here.

• The results are real-time and absolutely transparent through a public-poll. Anyone can see who has voted for what car.

• Most importantly, this is NOT just another virtual award. For the first time in history of online media, the winner is duly recognized with an actual trophy.

You are free to cast the vote for car of your own choice. But we do recommend taking into account the following aspects that a typical Indian car buyer looks for:

• Fuel Efficiency

• Value For Money

• Looks and Design

• Safety and Security

• Comfort and Features

• Engine and Performance

• Brand image and aftersales support
Note:

• Only all-new cars launched in India between Jan 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2015 are nominated.

• Mere facelifts do not qualify. High-end cars are kept out too considering minor market share.

• As always, this poll is open for a period of complete one month (From Jan 1, 2016 – Jan 31, 2016).

• The results will be formally announced thereafter followed by the award handing over ceremony to the winner.

• All registered members can cast a vote. If you're unregistered and wish to vote, please register first (it's quick and free).

Update: And The Automotive India Car of the Year 2015 is...Hyundai Creta!

The award has been officially handed over to Hyundai India. Head on to this link for more.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
And the nominees are...

Chevrolet Trailblazer

Chevrolet-Trailblazer.jpg

• Price Range: Rs.26.40 Lakh

• Launch Date: 21 October 2015

• Engine (Diesel): 2776 CC

Datsun Go+

• Price Range: Rs.3.79 Lakh - Rs.4.76 Lakh

• Launch Date: 16 January 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1198 CC

DC Avanti

2099917_orig.jpg

• Price Range: Rs.36.80 Lakh

• Launch Date: 24 September 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1998 CC

Ford Aspire

Ford-Figo-Aspire.JPG

• Price Range: Rs.4.90 Lakh - 8.25 Lakh

• Launch Date: 12th August 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1196 CC & 1499 CC

• Engine (Diesel): 1495 CC

Ford Figo

• Price Range: Rs.4.30 Lakh - Rs.7.41 Lakh

• Launch Date: 23rd September 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1196 CC

• Engine (Diesel): 1495 CC

Honda Jazz

Honda-Jazz.jpg

• Price Range: Rs.5.35 Lakh - Rs.8.63 Lakh

• Launch Date: 8th July 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1198 CC

• Engine (Diesel): 1498 CC

Hyundai Creta

Hyundai-Creta.JPG

• Price Range: Rs.8.69 Lakh - Rs.13.80 Lakh

• Launch Date: 21st July 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1591 CC

• Engine (Diesel): 1396 CC

Land Rover Discovery Sport

Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport.jpg

• Price Range: Rs.46.10 Lakh - Rs.62.18 Lakh

• Launch Date: 4th September 2015

• Engine (Diesel): 2179 CC

Mahindra TUV300

Style_Tank-like-Build.jpg

• Price Range: Rs.6.98 Lakh - Rs.9.20 Lakh

• Launch Date: 10th September 2015

• Engine (Diesel): 1493 CC

Maruti Suzuki Baleno

• Price Range: Rs.4.99 Lakh - Rs.8.11 Lakh

• Launch Date: 28 October 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1197 CC

• Engine (Diesel): 1248 CC

Maruti Suzuki S-Cross

maruti-suzuki-s-cros-6_1600x0w.jpg

• Price Range: Rs.8.34 Lakh - 13.74 Lakh

• Launch Date: 5th August 2015

• Engine (Diesel): 1248 CC, 1598 CC

Mercedes-Benz CLA Class

mercedes-benz-cla-accessories.jpg

• Price Range: Rs.31.50 Lakh - Rs.69.50 Lakh

• Launch Date: 22nd January 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1991 CC

• Engine (Diesel): 2143 CC

Renault Kwid

• Price Range: Rs.2.57 Lakh - Rs.3.53 Lakh

• Launch Date: 24th September 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 799 CC

Renault Lodgy

• Price Range: Rs.8.29 Lakh - Rs.12.29 Lakh

• Launch Date: 9th April 2015

• Engine (Diesel): 1461 CC

Tata Bolt

• Price Range: Rs.4.45 Lakh - Rs.7 Lakh

• Launch Date: 22nd January 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1193 CC

• Engine (Diesel): 1248 CC

Volkswagen Beetle

vw_beetle_r-line_03.jpg

• Price Range: Rs.28.73 Lakh

• Launch Date: 18th December 2015

• Engine (Petrol): 1395 CC

Voted for Baleno. It was a game changer, that hit Elite i20 Petrol very bad. Customers have shown trust in this entirely new launch and that is what matters for Maruti. No other car from the list got so much response and support after launch.

Jazz lovers might agree that Honda has its own set of customers, but Baleno outsells it and I doubt if Honda would still be happy with their limited set of customers. Maruti hit the right spot with pricing, everyone with a large 4-9 Lac budget can and would be considering the Baleno. And to top it all, majority of buyers are from 4-9 Lac segment only. In choosing TAICOTY, many other factors come into play and thus Trailblazer, Lodgy, etc. can't be compared in front of other competitors.

It has to be the Baleno for sure! Let's see! [evil]

bhvm

Honoured Member
I voted for Chevy Trailblazer.
For those who haven'nt seen Trailblazer up close, Pleas do! This Thing is a beast.
Wheels are oversize and the overall design oozes masculinity and power.
The TB will offer (Much Needed) Competition to T-fort and is a very nice option for someone looking for SUV in that price bracket.

Why not Creta?
Serious flaws in certain regions. For once, The pricing is overdone by atleast 2 lac. The top spec variant misses on certain key features that are taken as granted in this price range. Safety is not that great as Airbags are not available as an option on most variants. Whats worse, Most expensive AT variant is not the top end variant?

Why not baleno?
It may appear as a first option on a quick thought and would'nt be wrong at once.
However, to me, Baleno just felt like Swift in a new skin. Only difference is a little in styling esp with Projector headlamps and DRLs on top versions. A more powerful engine is required to attract me towards baleno.

Why not TUV300?
Overall a nice package and good looking one. Just let down by rough gearbox and Underperforming engine. TUV engine is unbearable after 120. The top speed of TUV is only 140~! Which is even slower than my good ol' Hyundai I10~! A serious flaw there.

Maruti Suzuki S-Cross 1.3, contemporary styling, international standards, excellent package, those who love sedan and wants SUV then S-Cross is perfect choice . I voted S-Cross 1.3.

I voted for Chevy Trailblazer.
Your 2000 th post cheers [cheers]

Voted for the Hyundai Creta for its silent 1.6 Lit. diesel engine and with comfortable cruising on the highway, road presence, small SUV capable of doing mild off-roads in ease with 128 ps on tap and overall its an excellent package. (Personal opinion).

Thought of voting for TATA Bolt as it is a nice package for the first time vehicle buyer's and atlast, the road presence is not there much (Personal opinion, owners excuse)

Last edited:
Voted for honda jazz, not because its the best but because it is a good car.
After recently driving the car i can say the jazz is pretty much everything a practical car for a family would suffice.
The cons are poor low end torque of petrol,inability to handle bad roads and overpriced.

Apart from these the car is a perfect urban car and a very good all rounder.

I voted for Baleno.

Nearest competitor was Kwid, however when whole factors are kept in mind Baleno ticks all boxes.

Reasons for choosing Baleno:

1) The S badge is always a first priority for everybody when they decide to buy an hatch, this is no wonder appears in first list. The showroom is always crowded

2) Style,Price,Spacious cabin and features offered is very competitive.

3) The brand image itself is enough to carry a strong resale value and future proof safety features is what an individual needs.

4) Since there is a news that It's coming in 90Bhp trim, what more does a person need to extract from an hatch?

Why Not the Creta??

1) The vehicle design itself is disgusting
2) Never qualify to be called as SUV
3) Shocked to see the prices! Man other matured SUVs fare much lesser here.
4) Though it sells well in market, there is no real SUV thing in the machine nor does it be like one.

Why not the Kwid?
This one was very close enough for the Baleno, however my observation goes as below:

1) It's a very great Value For Money car no doubt.
2) The space and features is state-of-art thing.
3) The A.S.S backup needs much more noise like it's competitor because I've read in forums that many are mishandled. Dealerships having field day daily and unable to control the crowd, where many members in our forum have stepped away from buying the care which never happens in Maruti.
4) The engine power isn't peppy as per reviews and I do feel there is a need for 1.0 ltr engine.
5) Cost cutting shown visibly doesn't appeal to me. Thin body sheet, three lug nut wheels aren't those which an enthusiast likes.

Compact & Hatchback - Kwid (Value for money with top features)

Sedan - Zest (Extremely great improvement with standards from legacy cars)

SUV/TUV Types - Trailblazer (Its a machine that is equal to beast)

Luxury areas - No idea

Few may not be in the list, but still its my thought.

Kwid: Its an eye opener, what you can to with this level of localization.
Creta and Baleno Comes next, being the best launches in their segments respectively. Creta Lost for being overpriced and Baleno for being Underpowered for a Premium Hatch.

My vote goes to Ford Aspire.

Reasons:
- Best looking compact sedan in its class
- Powerful diesel engine. No competition in diesel. Wins hands down here.
- VFM : Best again in the competition.
- Safety: Build at par with competition. Better than most. Six airbag option again an exception in the class. Wins here as well hands down.
- Features: Do have all the essential features. Lacks only a few features which are mostly show off rather than essential. I will any day choose a better engine rather than some features which are mostly show off.
- F.E is at par with the competition. Excellent again especially with such a powerful engine.
- A.S.S: Nothing to complaint here as well. Ford presence is now all over India. Parts are priced as per the competition so again matching the competition if not bettering it.

Could have voted for aspire twin (New Ford Figo) but I think aspire is more complete package out of the two. Other serious contender in my mind was kwid. I was not too happy with the 800 cc engine and its mediocre performance. Size of kwid needs a 1 liter engine at least. Except engine kwid ticks all other segments.

Now,being a common man, i am mostly inclined to the common cars that hold a major appeal among the majority. Though it has to be kept in mind that each and every car has their own share of pros and cons.Ultimately the one which manages to make the impact with its negligible cons along with the obvious pros wins the battle.

Entry level hatch........Renault Kwid( 998 cc model should have been introduced as well,larger wheels are absent)

Premium hatch .......Suzuki Baleno (interior not at par with i20 but it can be done anytym as per individual choices,but interior space is way better than i20 and jazz,long feature list than i20 and jazz,maruti Ass nationwide support,pathetic Nexa)

Compact Sedan.......Tata Zest (vfm car,mileage fluctuations,strong built,moderate Ass)

Compact SUV......Hyundai Creta ( close shave with Tuv 300)

SUV .......Chevrolet Trailblazer !!!

Hyundai Creta any day for me.

Why Creta?
  • It looks like a perfect package. Although I like the Duster for the price but every time I get inside a Creta, I start searching for the reasons to dislike it but can't find one.
  • Right comfort, space, ride quality and performance. Everything seems to be perfectly fit for the money that Creta trades for.
  • Features, interior quality all spot on. Definitely the segment best. Having lived with Creta for 2-3 days, I felt that the price is well deserved.

Why not Baleno?
  • Very light build simply doesn't inspire confidence. I drive a lot (2500 kms in 25 days of of Polo ownership is an example) on highways and I feel far from confident when it comes to Baleno.
  • Ride quality is also something away from settled. I mean the car never feels confident while doing elevated speeds (My TD experience).
Rest everything is good enough

Why not Kwid?
  • Good looking but the rear wheel arch area looks a bit odd (personal opinion)
  • Never driven one but 799cc engines' power delivery isn't linear as per many reviews.
  • Ehh.. If it was not Creta in the list then it had to be Kwid only because Kwid is closest to perfect of what one can get for the price.

Last edited:
Voted for Creta, lousy name not withstanding :-)

I basically chose from my list of "Kwid, Bolt, Aspire, Jazz and Creta". These IMO are the No 1s in their respective "brackets".

PS:
I do not even glance at "Smart Phones with 64-Core processors, 1TB Storage & Studded with Diamonds". Likewise I do not look at feature phones. So some of the TAI entries were ignored by me.

Top Bottom