Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS 1.0L Boosterjet Launched

Thread Starter #1
Apparently maruti engineers were staying in the same hotel. I spoke to them and got the following details.
1. Baleno under test was powered by 1 litre booster jet engine producing 110 bhp
2. It was an export model and had additional safety features like side airbags, All 4 disc brakes, tyre pressure monitor and radar based brake support (which was showing as disabled in MID)
3.Baleno booster jet is undergoing tests in various parts of India and cochin was chosen for the coastal climate
4 .India launch in mid or late 2016
5.Engine sound was little more compared to my new petrol baleno
6 .Body panels and doors felt the same as Indian Baleno. When I asked if body shell is same for Indian and export models, he said YES
7.They were benchmarking it against polo gt tsi, driving both back to back. But baleno had 5 speed manual transmission
8.Interiors, seat fabric was same as Indian spec Baleno
9.Alloy wheels were different and looked a lot better
10.250 kgs lighter than punto abarth and planning to launch as fastest hatch of India

I was refused to click photos, though I managed to click exteriors shots

Cheers!!

Maruti-Suzuki-Baleno-1.0L-Booster-Jet-1.jpg

Maruti-Suzuki-Baleno-1.0L-Booster-Jet-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Maruti Suzuki Baleno 2015 Zeta (Petrol): Ownership Review

Nice find buddy. It seems Maruti will leave no stone unturned for its success in market. It has expanded into premium hatchback category successfully and is now planning for hot hatchback category also. If this one performs better (engine capabilities) than GT TSI, then I can surely see Maruti eating out of VW's share.

Wheels look 17" to me. [surprise]

It can well be the fastest hatchback on offer in India and can offer a more sprightly performance with sharp handling characteristics too.
110 bhp on tap means this car can have a power to weight ratio comparable to Punto Abarth and and and.. a 5 speed manual!! wow![clap]

5 speed manual means if Maruti doesn't price it just as a halo product placing it above entire Baleno range then we can have a lower variant at the price of Baleno petrol Alpha (I will be happy with a basic ICE, no alloys and projectors etc. A delta spec car with 1.0 engine at the price of Alpha) and a top end variant priced near the GT cousins. But yes, if Maruti price it well and looking at the footfalls at NEXA these days, this car can be a sure shot blockbuster.

Nice find buddy. It seems Maruti will leave no stone unturned for its success in market. It has expanded into premium hatchback category successfully and is now planning for hot hatchback category also. If this one performs better (engine capabilities) than GT TSI, then I can surely see Maruti eating out of VW's share.

Wheels look 17" to me.
Price will be the actual USP of this car IMO. GT TSi doesn't sell for only performance, there are more aspects:
1) Build quality
2) Ride and handling
3) 7 speed DSG

And Baleno lags behind in all three in front of GT. Need to see what special does this new kid brings in. But yes, this still will be a sure shot success for the market segment it's going to hit.

Re: Maruti Suzuki Baleno 2015 Zeta (Petrol): Ownership Review

Price will be the actual USP of this car IMO. GT TSi doesn't sell for only performance, there are more aspects:
1) Build quality
2) Ride and handling
3) 7 speed DSG

And Baleno lags behind in all three in front of GT. Need to see what special does this new kid brings in. But yes, this still will be a sure shot success for the market segment it's going to hit.
Totally agreed with you
If they launch Baleno with boosterjet this would be India's favorite hothatch
[glasses]

Re: Spied! Maruti Suzuki Baleno 1.0L Boosterjet

Indeed, except a few buyers who are not so sure about the build quality (including me), everyone else will find this the best performing hatchback money can buy at the price tag.

In fact this will be the first and only hot hatch of middle class family man in India maybe.

Indeed, except a few buyers who are not so sure about the build quality (including me), everyone else will find this the best performing hatchback money can buy at the price tag.

In fact this will be the first and only hot hatch of middle class family man in India maybe.
Agree with you. If Baleno is priced at say 50k less than GT TSI, which I hope it will, then it is a perfect recipe for success. I believe GT TSI people don't actually look for 7 speed DSG. If it had been a manual, then also the sales volumes would have been similar and reliability (long term) would have been much better. Pricing would have been more competitive then. Ride and handling are not much different between the two, for the driver. Baleno would be a better seller IMHO because it will keep the enthusiast happy with what's under the hood, family head happy with Maruti reliability (as well as MT reliability) and family members happy with acres of space.

3.Baleno booster jet is undergoing tests in various parts of India and cochin was chosen for the coastal climate
So that confirms that the black Baleno i had seen on the NH 47-C here in Kochi, a month back, was indeed a Boosterjet Baleno testing !

So seems like Maruti has also started to take care of the enthusiasts. 110bhp means second most powerful hatch in Maruti's showrooms(1st is S-Cross 1.6 MJD producing 118 bhp)

If Baleno is priced at say 50k less than GT TSI, which I hope it will, then it is a perfect recipe for success. I believe GT TSI people don't actually look for 7 speed DSG. If it had been a manual, then also the sales volumes would have been similar and reliability (long term) would have been much better. Pricing would have been more competitive then.
As automatic versions are usually 1lkh more than their manual versions, the boosterjet price difference with TSI should be more than 50k. Maybe, that's just wishful thinking:). Hopefully this engine will need just a gentle tap of the accelerator to get moving.

Those alloys look way better than current version BTW.

Last edited:

So seems like Maruti has also started to take care of the enthusiasts. 110bhp means second most powerful hatch in Maruti's showrooms(1st is S-Cross 1.6 MJD producing 118 bhp)
S Cross is a crossover and not a hatchback, but indeed a hoot to drive (1.6 one).

Content Reactor - Exactly my point. DSG is a sophisticated automatic tranny which demands such premium and even if the Baleno is priced 50k below it, I would not be surprised. I assume the Baleno would get a conventional manual transmission.

One small little thing missed by many regarding the European Baleno Boosterjet,

Suzuki Baleno prova, scheda tecnica, opinioni e dimensioni 1.0 DiCT

Suz Baleno.jpg

Google Translated - Weight in Running Order Kg 1005KG. The K10C with Turbo but with less than 1 cylinder will be of similar weight to K12. Petrol and Engine fluids might be 10-15KG, why does the European variant weigh 150KG more than the Indian version?

Last edited:

Ah! So maruthi want to give us hot hatchback, with just 3 cylinders? Why on earth can't they just do it with all 4 cylinders? I believe with 4 cylinder engine, the load on engine will be less compared to 3 cylinder, thus longer lifetime!! First 2 cyl, now 3 cyl. All I want is a worthy competitor for the TSi. Why can't MSIL use the 1.2L K engine + multiboost or megaboost?

simple structural strength enhancers must be added in the European car same like swift.
Wonder if its really "simple" to strengthen the structure:)

I recall one of the Nexa RMs telling me that engineers removed some structural components in the car to keep it light weight. Now, I'm wondering if it's true. When will our governments ever make safety a priority. Suzuki has the capability to make safe cars but not implementing it here because it's not mandated.

Top Bottom