• Ford Figo

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Tata Bolt

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Others(specify)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Fellas, with Maruti Suzuki Introducing Baleno at an aggressive pricing, the B segment has become more competitive[clap],vote for your favorite car to make it the B-segment leader.

If it has to be drivers car then it is VW Polo for me and if I need a complete package; something very close to a perfect b segment hatchback in my books.. It's Elite i20 any day.

Baleno is a good attempt from MSIL but personally I will any day pay a bit higher than a Baleno to get an i20 Asta over Baleno Alpha (Diesel only, if It's petrol then it's Swift ZXi for me)

Baleno (Ugly and nothing premium), Elite (I don't like the looks and extremely boring to drive) and Jazz (Poor VFM and noisy diesel) are out of the window for me anyday.
Etios? Never.
Polo, I love it but a bit cramped.
Swift, very old and bored. Although fun.
Figo and Bolt are the best according to me. Great VFM, ride and handling, good quality and performance.

I have voted for the Jazz. Drivability, quality and space are the main criteria according to me to qualify as a good hatch (or car). Most of the cars have only one good engine - diesel or petrol (for example, Baleno is good in petrol, i20 is good in diesel, Etios Liva is good in diesel, etc.) but Jazz has good and competent engines, offers decent space and decent quality. A perfect mix of all good things.

My preference used to be Polo before the launch of Punto Abarth. Now I have voted for Punto Abarth. I find it too hot. Excellent looking car with a hot 145 horsepower engine. If I have too choose one and budget is not an issue, I will choose Abarth hands down. Loved it in white with red combination and those alloys are just amazing.

However I am already looking for a hatchback and my current choice is Ford figo due to VFM aspect. I will most probably buy Figo but my vote goes to Abarth as it is in different league altogether and since it was an option so cannot ignore it.

Actually, the most value for money package (Including discounts) is Fiat Punto. No car can beat its build quality, awesome engine and unique hydraulic steering and driving dynamics. So, for me the Punto, any day. [:D]

Looks like I am the only fan of the Swift here [:)].
Voted for the Swift as that is the car which stood the test of time and still doing good numbers. But with new entrants though, now the tried and tested Swift seems to be out of the race. Fair enough, the legend has made the way to the new generation (read Baleno).

I voted for Jazz as it looked like an all-rounder. Practical space, good 1.5 diesel and a feature list that ticks most points. But all-rounder doesn't mean the best. The 'best' is a vague thing. One hatch could be the best in engine power but loser in space and so on. Hence, a jack of all trades would be the closet definition to being the best.

PS: As far as Baleno is concerned -- a good car -- but what qualifies it as premium to be sold by only Nexa outlets? Nexa might shut shop in a few years because Nexa vehicles' premium-ness identity is getting blurred with regular Maruti dealerships. MSIL could have simply sold them in regular dealers.

Last edited:
Honda Jazz all the way, stunning design awesome petrol like diesel engine (except the noise which is hardly a problem with people having music on almost all the time), Space (loads of it not even duster can compete in internal space), Boot ( Best in segment). Baleno well not sure if its premium i felt very similar to Swift except the DRL's and added space it will get the numbers as it is a Maruti after all.

The Fiat Abarth twins blow away the competition by miles in terms of sheer performance. I dont know what all round package people are talking about here. As if touchscreen infotainment determines the "best in category" ? If the car has the best in class engine, aerodynamic bodylines, tough build quality and excellent reliability, and comfortable seating, that should be it. Agreed, the price of the Abarths is way above the others in the segment, but I would take a solidly built and uber powerful Abarth Avventura over a tin-can Baleno with its TFT-screen gizmos. The closest to this comes the Polo and Figo, but rear set in the Punto/Avventura is more comfortable than the Polo. The Figo is also a bit undertyred for the 100 horses. The Jazz would have come somewhat close if it had the 1.5 engine.

Honda Jazz all the way, stunning design awesome petrol like diesel engine (except the noise which is hardly a problem with people having music on almost all the time), Space (loads of it not even duster can compete in internal space), Boot ( Best in segment). Baleno well not sure if its premium i felt very similar to Swift except the DRL's and added space it will get the numbers as it is a Maruti after all.
Honda Jazz is bigger than the Duster on the overall internal Space ? Thats the news of the Year ! Either the Jazz got as big as a CRV or Duster got shrunk to the size of the Kwid. You tell me which[thinking]

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know what all round package people are talking about here. As if touchscreen infotainment determines the "best in category" ?... The Jazz would have come somewhat close if it had the 1.5 engine.
All-round would include backset seating comfort. A.S.S. factor also comes in. Jazz comes in 1.5 diesel too.

If talking about pure driving fun of course Abarth is great. But it is not definitely the best.

Actually I am myself surprised to see Baleno leading others in the poll. An all-round package should include a mix of everything in a decent amount. Outright performance would take away reliability title from a car, and any positive will have a counter effect as a negative in the car. For me, a good package should have decent power engine, decent fuel efficiency, competitive price, good build quality, decent feature list, decent space and good after sales.

A perfect example would be something like this; but I know it will be hard to achieve for the manufacturers :

A car with build quality like Elite i20, power like Swift (in petrol) or Liva (in diesel), fuel efficiency of 13-17 kmpl in realistic conditions, feature list of Swift, handling as in Polo, space as in Elite i20, from a brand similar to Hyundai/Honda and should be priced between 7-8.5 Lacs to be called a "purr-fect" car in my opinion.

Surprised to see Baleno getting such response despite it being a compromise Maruti and dosent have anything special going on for it, just an overgrown swift with reduced built quality and a little bit of features

Top Bottom