It is a question of priorities and a bit of an irony, actually . A VW Jetta, is designed safe for its occupants with 6 airbags, ESP , ABS
is actually a long term health hazard for the environment vis-a-vis an Alto which can be a hazard during everyday driving. Note- the cars are chosen for illustrative purposes only.
In my opinion, the solution lies in multiple steps.
1) Incentivise hybrid engine production -and I mean true hybrids not "stop-start" hybrids. Make it cheaper for both the manufacturer and the consumer.
2) Introduce a graded vehicle taxation. Cars with hybrid engineswill have least, and big diesel cars will have the most (may be even 50% higher).
3) Introduce a 10 year retirement incentivization for people to junk their old cars and buy newer cars. Ditto for commercial vehicles. Beyond a grace period of 10+2, ban the vehicles from the roads entirely.
4) Introduce BS-4 all over India. Why hasnt such a basic step happened is a bit puzzling to me.
5) And finally, ensure that all cars have mandatory NCAP (equivalent) testing, and fitment with front, side airbags, ESP and ABS
. If we have to introduce a standard, why not the latest and most stringent one?