Chennai Floods Halt Car Manufacturing Operations There

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

With heavy rains and floods throwing out the normal life out of control in Chennai, the car manufacturing units there have halted the production of the units. This halt further shall lead to increase in the waiting periods for the customers and big back-log after that. Natural calamities are in no-one's control but with repeated rains the life of the people in the state has gone for big toss. Brands like Ford, Renualt et al have suspended their production operations for 24 hours.

Hyundai's Chennai plant has a capacity to produce around 6.8 lakh vehicles annually. Ford India too has suspended operations at its Chennai plant.

"Continued heavy rains in Chennai have resulted in significant flooding in the area with many roads impassable. For the safety of our employees, we have halted production at our Chennai assembly and engine plants on Wednesday, December 2," a company spokesperson said in a statement.
Link

Regards

Akash

Re: Chennai Floods Halt Car Manufacturing Operations There.

A bigger worry is that the manufacturers will try to pass off finished cars lying in stockyards under water to unsuspecting customers. Any one who wants to buy a Renault, Nissan Ford or Hyundai in the next 2-3 months must ensure that PDI is done very very carefully. In fact, avoid buying cars with a December VIN.

. Any one who wants to buy a Renault, Nissan Ford or Hyundai in the next 2-3 months must ensure that PDI is done very very carefully. In fact, avoid buying cars with a December VIN.
I would say not only December but November VIN also as they have been having flooding issues since middle of November. What is being seen now is round 2 of the rains.

Am guessing most of the October VIN must be safe by being shipped out by mid November.

Can we make sure all these Companies stockyards were flooded. It would be cruel to say don't buy cars manufactured in these months. Can Chennai people help out? One thing is for sure. Automobiles are the ones worst affected after human beings. Lots of cars were floating around.

It would be cruel to say don't buy cars manufactured in these months. Can Chennai people help out? One thing is for sure. Automobiles are the ones worst affected after human beings. Lots of cars were floating around.
Well i agree one should not jump the gun but highly unlikely our comment will be denting any sales [roll] , but better to be on the safer side. One person i know is sitting on the 2nd floor of his house as ground floor is completely flooded which included his cars one which is an Audi A4.I hope his insurance hasn't lapsed [cry]

Chennai received 9 inches of rain in 24 hours some weeks back & i hear its worst this time.
When the wings of Gulfstream aircrafts are submerged at airports(Todays Times of India has it on the front page) no harm in being safe for our TAI members & readers
And the factories have been shut since 15th/16th of November & if running were barely operational.

Some time back a new Renault Duster AWD was delivered with rusted parts on the under-body & customer had raised compliant with Autocar magazine. With that in mind i guess it better to play safe & avoid any November & December 2015 VIN cars

Last edited:

This was a video below I saw about five years back & one of the executives is giving reaons why Chennai was preferred.

Is Chennai, India the next Detroit? - Video - Business News

While all those things are true it still is very much on the coast & prone to such natural disasters and also quite a humid place.

In the past cooler places and those on higher elevation like Pune/Nasik with less chances of floods etc but also close to ports were preferred by the auto industry.

Recently about couple of years back even places in Uttarakhand like Haridwar and other places where auto inustry has expanded had to be shut temporarily due to heave rains and flooding.

In the end its the cost of production(labour real estate taxes etc etc), as long as that stays low auto industry will flock to such places and they can always take short breaks like these and should be able to bear the losses if any due to such disasters.

Last edited:

Well i agree one should not jump the gun but highly unlikely our comment will be denting any sales [roll] , but better to be on the safer side. One person i know is sitting on the 2nd floor of his house as ground floor is completely flooded which included his cars one which is an Audi A4.I hope his insurance hasn't lapsed [cry]

Chennai received 9 inches of rain in 24 hours some weeks back & i hear its worst this time.
When the wings of Gulfstream aircrafts are submerged at airports(Todays Times of India has it on the front page) no harm in being safe for our TAI members & readers
And the factories have been shut since 15th/16th of November & if running were barely operational.

Some time back a new Renault Duster AWD was delivered with rusted parts on the under-body & customer had raised compliant with Autocar magazine. With that in mind i guess it better to play safe & avoid any November & December 2015 VIN cars
Which also serves to highlight another point. The Used car businesses will try to sell off a lot of "Chennai " stock. Again ,need to be very careful. In fact used car values within Chennai itself will crash for some time.

Top Bottom