Tata Tiago vs Hyundai i10 vs Grand i10 vs Maruti Celerio vs Chevrolet Beat

Your Pick

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Tata Zica vs i10 vs Celerio vs Beat: Specifications comparison

We take a look at how the upcoming Tata Zica hatchback matches up to the established players in the segment.
ImageResizerWM.jpeg
Tata has revealed its all-new hatchback the Zica. The new hatchback is based on the same X0 platform as the original Indica but has been styled by the company’s European Technical Centre ensuring little is common between the two cars save for the pedal box and engine firewall.

In terms of design, it gets a vertically aligned honeycomb grille incorporated in a rounded front end with sharp-looking headlamps and black inserts. The flanks bear sharp creases to add character while at the rear, it gets large, wraparound, petal-shaped tail-lamps and a prominent rear spoiler above the hatch.

When it goes on sale, it will go up against the likes of the Maruti Celerio, the first Maruti in India to use an in-house developed diesel engine, the Hyundai i10
and the ageing Chevrolet Beat.

Here is a look at how the four rivals stack up against each other on paper.

IMG_20151202_131739_edit.png

Dimensions

In terms of dimensions, the Zica is the longest of the lot at 3746mm followed by the Chevrolet Beat at 3640mm, the Maruti Celerio at 3600mm and the Hyundai i10 at 3585mm. In terms of width, the i10 and the Beat are the narrowest at 1595mm while the Zica again sits atop the rivals at 1647mm; the Celerio measures in at 1600mm. In terms of height, the Celerio is the tallest at 1560mm followed by the Beat (with roof rails) and i10 at 1550mm – without the roof rails, the Beat measures in at 1520mm – and the Zica at 1535mm.

In terms of wheelbase, the Celerio is again the leader with a wheelbase of 2425mm followed by the Zica at 2400mm, the i10 at 2380mm and the Beat at 2375mm. As for ground clearance, the Beat has the most at 175mm while the i10 and Celerio have the least at 165mm. The Zica has a ground clearance of 170mm.

Engines and transmission

All the hatchbacks save the i10 come with the option of a petrol and diesel engine. The i10 is offered as a petrol only model.

Among the petrols, the Celerio has the smallest displacement motor with a 1.0-litre three-cylinder unit that develops 67bhp and 9.1kgm of torque. Next is the i10 with a 1.1-litre four-cylinder motor that pumps out 68bhp and 10.1kgm of torque. The Zica and Beat have the largest units in the category with the Beat’s 1.2-litre unit featuring a four-cylinder layout and developing 79bhp and 10.9kgm of torque. The Zica’s 1.2-litre motor is a three-cylinder unit that churns out 84bhp and 11.6kgm of torque.

IMG_20151202_132727_edit.png

In terms of the diesels, the Celerio again has the smallest unit with an in-house developed 800cc two-cylinder unit that develops 47bhp and 12.7kgm of torque. The Zica and Beat both use 1.0-litre three-cylinder units with the Zica’s unit developing 69bhp and 14.3kgm of torque. The Beat’s unit develops 58.5bhp and 15.2kgm of torque.

IMG_20151202_132717_edit.png

The Zica, as with its rivals, will come with a five-speed manual gearbox as standard with the possibility of an AMT-equipped version joining the fray. Of the other three, only the Celerio gets the option of an AMT gearbox on the petrol models.

Safety

n terms of safety features, the Zica's top-spec model is expected to come equipped with dual airbags, ABS with EBD and corner stability control. The top-spec Celerio Z (O) comes equipped with dual front airbags and ABS while the top-spec Beat LT (O) is equipped with the same. Furthermore, Maruti offers dual airbags and ABS as an options pack on all trim levels of the Celerio. The Hyundai i10 gives ABS and airbags a miss.

Source:ACI

Last edited:
Re: TATA ZICA vs Hyundai i10 & Grand i10 vs Maruti Celerio vs Chevy Beat

Looks great numbers for upcoming TATA ZICA than other competitors.
But this is always a situation almost with every car of TATA. TATA cars do well on paper but when it comes to sales, numbers is down. But now looking ZICA, I think it will pull good numbers in sale. If ZICA priced in well manner then definitely it will leave other competitor behind...............Best of Luck TATA.

well most of the tata are winners on paper however, that does not translate into sales and much needed numbers for tata.
The perception of tata is so strong that all these beautiful products have to fight an internal battle.
I have been into i20 elite and also in bolt. interiors i can say both at par. Space wise i felt bolt a tad bit better, now coming to the looks i20 trumps bolt. however when it comes to the sales i20 does 20k and bolt hardly managing 800 per month. its not even considered as a premium car in competition.
such is a perception of tata.

I think Zica has its eyes set on grand I10 territory and not the I10 space. Looking at the numbers ie[;)]

well most of the tata are winners on paper however, that does not translate into sales and much needed numbers for tata.
The perception of tata is so strong that all these beautiful products have to fight an internal battle.
I have been into i20 elite and also in bolt. interiors i can say both at par. Space wise i felt bolt a tad bit better, now coming to the looks i20 trumps bolt. however when it comes to the sales i20 does 20k and bolt hardly managing 800 per month. its not even considered as a premium car in competition.
such is a perception of tata.
ZEST and BOLT are competing with Swift and Dezire and priced around 40-50k less than them. The brand value of Swift is so predominant in the Indian middle class mind that even heavy weights like Hyundai and Honda are able to shift just 10000 units each per month whereas MSIL is selling 40000 units per month for the Swift twins combined! Forget GM, Toyota! So in this scenario if Zest is doing 2500 units and bolt around 800 units, that seems to be a decent base for future new gen Tata cars.
Coming to Zica I am totally optimistic on its sales because
1. At 5 laks there are no diesel options in the market.
2. Diesel AMT will be a USP.
3. Sedan based on Zica would be priced 50k more but it will have no competition as of now.

These 2 variants Zica, Zica(sedan)should do an easy 10000 per month.

Last edited:

3. Sedan based on Zica would be priced 50k more but it will have no competition as of now.
MSIL may launch an ugly looking Celerio sedan very soon. It may look to be a worst looking sedan. But lol... our Indians will go behind it like craze.

Zica sedan will be a good looking, IMO it will look better than ZEST even. Tata should succeed.

Its all in their hands to price it sensibly. They should do a strategy similar to KWID.

Re: Tata Zica vs Hyundai i10 vs Grand i10 vs Maruti Celerio vs Chevrolet Beat

Its all in their hands to price it sensibly. They should do a strategy similar to KWID.

I don't see this statement for any new MSIL/Toyota/Hyundai product launches.

Either we don't care much about them or it's like when it comes to TATA we want good and cheap car [frustration]

It seems nowadays Maruti cars are lighter in weight the longer their length is. Don't believe just check out the weight of wagonR , Celerio and Baleno and overall length. Now wagonR LXi is 5kg heavier than Baleno! No wonder wagonR feels solid at its price point. Essentially Baleno must be making huge profits for Maruti since material cost is equal to wagonr but at the cost of safety. WagonR users would rarely use it for intracity drives but a Baleno user will definitely use it on highways being a big car with boot to match. And also Baleno users will tend to push their cars compared to Wagonr since the design is not a tall boy one. What happens in case of accident of a Baleno was seen recently.[frustration]
Zica at 1012kg kerb weight seems to better built than even the Baleno. Just for the record even a Swift weighs 965kg.When we compare the petrol engine power and torque outputs for Baleno and Zica both are same. Now waiting for the performance numbers of Zica.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zica for me too, but i'm sure most of people will go for preferred brand :) then better car. Hope it sells well because the more the competition better for us customers.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11

Chevrolet Beat vs Tata Zica vs Maruti Celerio vs Hyundai Grand i10 Petrol Comparo

Beat-vs-Zica-vs-Celerio-vs-Grand-i10-Petrol-Comparo.jpg

Chevrolet Beat vs Tata Zica vs Maruti Celerio vs Hyundai Grand i10 Diesel Comparo

Beat-vs-Zica-vs-Celerio-vs-Grand-i10-Diesel-Comparo.jpg

My vote goes for the Grand i10. It is because of the perception Tata cars have developed. I agree even I have this perception for Tata but maybe the Zica will be able to change it for good.

Tata cars are considered, by default cheap, and cheap in the sense - Inferior in part quality and fit & finish. Even when the Vista was launched, despite having almost as good interior quality as the Swift, with even better space and comfort levels, it didn't do well in front of the Swift. It was considered a built-to-cost car, with inferior part quality and eventually got the Taxi image as cab drivers saw the potential of the car (space, comfort, etc.) which literally killed the demand for that car. Similar thing happened with Bolt and Zest - Dzire and Swift felt better than the Tatas because of the perception of Tata cars. I am sure many people who have a hatred for Tata cars, including me, wouldn't have even considered Bolt and Zest. No doubt Zica would be a game changer, provided that they price it right. And the right price doesn't essentially mean low or cheap but reasonable. For those who are saying that people expect Tata to price their cars right - What's wrong? We expect this from every manufacturer. Maruti priced the Baleno well, it is a success. Honda priced the earlier Jazz/current Mobilio badly, they failed. Credit should be given where it is due. When one person says that Tata should price the Zica right, every Tata fan is ready to jump on him/her but when Maruti priced the Baleno so well, they didn't give it due credit. Just my personal opinion. Flowers or tomatoes welcome! [:)]

MSIL may launch an ugly looking Celerio sedan very soon. It may look to be a worst looking sedan. But lol... our Indians will go behind it like craze.
What engine has Maruti got to plonk in the Wagon-R or and other car? Already Celerio D sales have gone bust.
Plonking the Fiat's MJD will be heavily expensive. I don't think they will be able to do it as they need to outsource
an engine immediately. Only option is get the 3 cyl version of MJD from Chevrolet current doing the duty on BEAT D.

If Renault could turn around the sales with horrible after sales talk, why can't TATA do it? As it is, slowly NANO is able
to gain acceptance and factory dispatches have increased, expect ZICA and SWAY to follow the suit. Initially sales maybe
slow, but will pick up if people get a sense of likening.

Tata cars are considered, by default cheap, and cheap in the sense - Inferior in part quality and fit & finish. Even when the Vista was launched, despite having almost as good interior quality as the Swift, with even better space and comfort levels, it didn't do well in front of the Swift. It was considered a built-to-cost car, with inferior part quality and eventually got the Taxi image as cab drivers saw the potential of the car (space, comfort, etc.) which literally killed the demand for that car. Similar thing happened with Bolt and Zest - Dzire and Swift felt better than the Tatas because of the perception of Tata cars. I am sure many people who have a hatred for Tata cars, including me, wouldn't have even considered Bolt and Zest. No doubt Zica would be a game changer, provided that they price it right. And the right price doesn't essentially mean low or cheap but reasonable. For those who are saying that people expect Tata to price their cars right - What's wrong? We expect this from every manufacturer. Maruti priced the Baleno well, it is a success. Honda priced the earlier Jazz/current Mobilio badly, they failed. Credit should be given where it is due. When one person says that Tata should price the Zica right, every Tata fan is ready to jump on him/her but when Maruti priced the Baleno so well, they didn't give it due credit. Just my personal opinion. Flowers or tomatoes welcome! [:)]
JD Power 003 (2).png

This should respond to your post. TATA has jumped several positions in J. D. Power Asia-Pacific rating released in the recent past, just a couple of months back in Customer service ratings. Now they are in the fourth position much ahead Mahindra and Toyota and miles ahead the GM and Ford.

View attachment 186903

This should respond to your post. TATA has jumped several positions in J. D. Power Asia-Pacific rating released in the recent past, just a couple of months back in Customer service ratings. Now they are in the fourth position much ahead Mahindra and Toyota and miles ahead the GM and Ford.
Hi, I don't remember saying anything about "Customer service" by Tata in the quoted post. I even highlighted the "considered" word as I knew some misunderstanding was bound to occur if that word was missed while reading the post. I have mentioned about the common perception of general public (or let's say my known ones) while considering Tata cars. Tata had moved to the Fuat category some years back, when people said "Everybody loves a Fiat but nobody buys one" (and that situation was also applicable to Tata until a few years back). Even I agree that Tata has considerably improved and I had mentioned the same in another thread regarding durability and ASS of Tata cars. That was a neutral post, nothing bad about Zica. And I didn't mean any offence to Tata car owners or fans.

And that is a commendable achievement for Tata, to have moved ahead of Toyota! [:)]

Top Bottom