Volkswagen To Recall Diesel Cars in India

Thread Starter #1
Re: VW to recall diesel cars in India

I think I may get a call from VW people(mine is 2012 Vento 1.6 TDI EA 189 engine).Im skeptical about this matter.

But my car has done over 82000 Kms and may replace the car after completing 90000 Kms in early 2016.

Thread Starter #3

Volkswagen puts out its official stand on TDI engine, this will include all TDI engines in its group- VW, Skoda and Audi as applicable to India.

Capture.JPG

I'm kinda surprised here. Our emission standards are so last decade that I thought VW may not face any issues in India.

Thread Starter #5

I'm kinda surprised here. Our emission standards are so last decade that I thought VW may not face any issues in India.
VW cars may be road worthy here, but I guess they will do this correction to all the TDI engines affected, irrespective of the local emission laws.

bhvm

Honoured Member

So what are they exactly gonna do?
I hope they don't de-tune engines or reduce performance in any way!

Thread Starter #7

So what are they exactly gonna do?
I hope they don't de-tune engines or reduce performance in any way!
They could involve a software upgrade or component change which could possibly lead to reduced performance1

Excerpt from TOI :

Government asks Volkswagen to come clear on emission test software

Volkswagen India has been asked to come forward with more information on the number of cars sold in the country fitted with the software that throws forth varying results in test and actual conditions.

Pune-based Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) has revealed its finding to the ministry of heavy industries, which suggests that some cars might have been fitted with he same software. "The department of heavy industries, which had ordered the probe, has advised the German auto-maker to come forward and make an announcement," a senior government official told TOI.

ARAI will submit its final report to the ministry in a couple of days.

Volkswagen on its part said in a statement that it would be able to clear the picture only by end November.

"Since there is a complex combination of several brands, various models, different engine variants and gearboxes as well as different model years that need to be analysed, establishing detailed facts is taking a longer time. Volkswagen Group India will present its results from the evaluations by the end of November 2015," the company said.

The company is expected to come forward with details like how many cars were fitted with the software in India, how it will rectify the problem and the timeline to rectify the same. "The next steps will depend on the findings from these evaluations," the company said.

ARAI seems to have found the vehicle emitting more than permissible emissions in its on-road testing cycles. "It is high time some disclosures are made in the case. The ministry is of the view that the company should come forward with relevant details," an official in know of the developments said.

The company had admitted earlier that some 11 million cars worldwide were fitted with the software, but is yet to reveal how many cars have been fitted with the same software in India.

A specific questionnaire to the company seeking further information on how many cars are affected, manufacturing year and the remedy thereof did not receive a clear response as the company's spokesperson said these details were still being "investigated". Nor did the company comment on what assurance it can give that yet-to-be-sold Volkswagen cars will not be fitted with he same software.

"Investigations are underway at the headquarters n Germany as well as in India to find out if cars sold with the EA 189 engines are impacted due to the software or not, in the Indian context. Volkswagen India is waiting for results...will communicate further after he results are out," a Volkswagen India spokesperson said.

In an earlier reply to a query on what make of cars sold in India were fitted with he EA 189 software, Volkswagen India said, "Volkswagen has sold in India the Po o, Vento, Jetta and Passat with different EA 189 engines (1.2-litre, 1.5-litre, 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre diesel engines) between 2008 and till now. Further, we cannot comment on the numbers at he moment till the evaluations are running."

VW India have been caught cheating, plain and simple. I think ARAI has given its findings to Government and some back channel activities are on to limit any punitive damages to its brand value. Recalling 100000 cars is not a joke. It seems clear that VW has not been fulfilling even BS-4 norms, given that some of its cars were found to be polluting over 10 times the limit. In fact, I believe the company should be barred from manufacturing and selling any new car until it has satisfied regulatory authorities in every possible way. This is not a product defect, aka airbags/ABS etc. This is an acknowledged fraud. So the recall should not be treated as a defect correction. How dare VW say their cars are "roadworthy". They are not, if not complying with pollution norms. The argument that many other worse sources of road pollution dilute the case against VW is irrelevant from a legal perspective. That situation exists all over the world.

Government to issue show-cause notice to Volkswagen India

Government to issue show-cause notice to Volkswagen India : Latest Auto News, News - India Today

Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), the testing agency in India, said they have found significant variation in emission level in on-road vehicles of 3 Volkswagen models compared to laboratory measurements. These vehicles include the Volkswagen Jetta, Audi A4 and Volkswagen Vento.
I suggest TAI creates a new global thread called "VolksWagen Scandals" and move all such stuff there :p

Last edited:
Here goes. Now the petrol engines are affected too!
VW emissions scandal: VW admits 800,000 cars have false CO2 and mpg certification | Autocar

This is a deep, deep pile of sh*t. VW will be just buried in litigation and regulatory restrictions. I dont think they can be fully trusted at this point, as an organization. This will have deep industrial and political ramifications.
Holy moly !! What is happening ? This was never expected not anytime sooner !! I seriously doubt VW is in a major catastrophic shift . Anyone here enlighten the impact in India !!

Here goes. Now the petrol engines are affected too!
VW emissions scandal: VW admits 800,000 cars have false CO2 and mpg certification | Autocar

This is a deep, deep pile of sh*t. VW will be just buried in litigation and regulatory restrictions. I dont think they can be fully trusted at this point, as an organization. This will have deep industrial and political ramifications.
That's some sh1t!!! I never thought VW to get caught in such scandal, and now the numbers are quite exhausting to even read. I don't know how are they going to fix it in all those affected vehicles. Especially, in India, with their puny service network and 1 lakh vehicles to fix, that is some serious issue for VW.

First, they have to recall them and fix issues amidst of their regular work, which is going to be a nightmare for their technicians as well as SA's! God help VW.

This has left me baffled! I have always skeptical about going for VW during my car purchase. Not that I am a forteller, but I was not satisfied with their service network reach and I was very cautious not to pick a car, where there is a chance that I am left alone nowhere, if the car breaks down. But I admired their car for it's quality, driving pleasure and the handling. But after reading news after news about their "so-called" scandals, the only thing which was running in the back of my mind was "God, I didn't bought a VW. Otherwise who knows what kinda trouble I would have been facing!".

I know their cars are road-worthy and this ain't big deal, but for me, cheating is cheating. Period.

Now this left me few questions, "Will you buy an VW as your next car?". No
"Will you buy an VW in next 5 years?" Probably not.
"Will you buy an VW in next 7-10 years?"May be, if they still exist till that point of time and have good service netwok!

Last edited:

Top Bottom