India's first 4x4 SUV : Tata Safari
India's first SUV hardtop : Tata Sumo
India'a first small Diesel Car : Tata Indica
India's first Xover with 4x4: Tata Aria
India's first luxury pickup : Xenon

Now global mark:

World's first compact sedan: Indigo cs
World's cheapest car: Tata Nano

Now dwindling sales and struggling to even get attention from lot of people. What went wrong??

1. Reliability?
2. Design of cars?
3. Aspirational value?
4. Product recycling gap?
5. Introduction of new models not on time?
6. After sale service?
7. Technology constraints?

To name few. However after discussion with lot of the members and public two points which will make them come back are

1. Design
2. Aspirational value

And both would be achieved if they come up with outstanding design language and frugal engineering backed up with great ASS.

After the launch of Horizonnext the ASS improved a lot and they are working to improve it further. Let's hope for the best.

Now let's talk about Design language. What should Tata try to bring and what they leave behind--

Re: Tata Motors- design Language

First thing is they need to change their design language from Nano to Aria. Since it was changed in Aria as Hexa, it might be a hit.

Second thing is Reliability. Its getting changed to some extent. Im sure Zest & Bolt will have a reliability.

Third is their A.S.S should be revamped completely. Cabbies should be allocated a separate station, but not in the private car area.

Last but not the least, they have JLR in their hands, they should use their technical expertise in all their cars especially in design.

Good luck TATA.

Zest and bolt may not be getting the response it deserves/demands. It may just be too early to speak of reliability of these 2 motors but the cars are promising tata carriers.

A.S.S is certainly something to be taken care of at the earliest.

Last but not the least, they have JLR in their hands, they should use their technical expertise in all their cars especially in design. copyright msjawahar. A big [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #4

What are the design aspects do we as Indians looking for is a big question ie boxy design like safari/xenon/duster or something on Nexon & mexa pixel ground or maybe (personal choice) non tall bay low waiste line like polo/prima concept types.[:)]

I know different product need different styles.. Let's discuss

Last edited:

Well, I've said and heard a lot of things in the other threads about this topic. And since the thread is about design language, I won't say anything about durability or ASS. For the design, I would like to say the same things once again "Come out of that rotten egg Tata".

Just look at this collage.

TATA MOTORS.jpg

TATA has tried to make the smiling grill as it trade mark. Be it commercial or passenger. But it did not click as people complained of the same look.

The reason it did charm is that it need to make a mark in the market. Later stage you can introduce you signature grill, just like Hyundai who introduced their signature grill only after their root were will planted in the minds of the people. Then came in the fluidic design which further enhanced their profile.

up to date TATA fallowed three different generations in their design languages

first generation cars like TATA Mobile,TATA Estate,TATA Sierra and TATA 407 some other trucks fallowed simply copy cat of benz vehicle design formula

tata-estate-14.jpg
Tata-Mobile-Ad.jpg
tata-sierra-01.jpg

secound generation design inspiration came from smile they fallowing till now

tata__indica_mini_doc1_air_right_hand_drive_2002_1_lgw.jpg
tata__indica_mini_doc1_air_right_hand_drive_2002_2_lgw.jpg
lm4p6sghabesi.jpg

cars like indica,indigo, safari with curve body lines

third generation design language shifted to shap body lines from curve body

2012_Tata_Indica_Safire_front.JPG
Tata_Aria.JPG

cars like vista/manza/aria/nano

fourth generation design language shows more modern design mixed with sharp and curve body lines looks more modern and classy

cars like BOLT/ZEST and upcoming kite

how tata design language changed clearly evident in three major cars

Tata-Bolt-Pics.jpg
2012_Tata_Indica_Safire_front.JPG
Indica_DLX_diesel.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

up to date TATA fallowed three different generations in their design languages

first generation cars like TATA Mobile,TATA Estate,TATA Sierra and TATA 407 some other trucks fallowed simply copy cat of benz vehicle design formula

View attachment 183298
View attachment 183311
View attachment 183313

secound generation design inspiration came from smile they fallowing till now

View attachment 183299
View attachment 183300
View attachment 183306

cars like indica,indigo, safari with curve body lines

third generation design language shifted to shap body lines from curve body

View attachment 183301
View attachment 183302

cars like vista/manza/aria/nano

fourth generation design language shows more modern design mixed with sharp and curve body lines looks more modern and classy

cars like BOLT/ZEST and upcoming kite

how tata design language changed clearly evident in three major cars

View attachment 183304
View attachment 183301
View attachment 183305
I think in all three generation of Indica-Vista-Bolt the A and C pillar remained almost same and the grill that's the reason why they look like same car and the bad notion attached with Indica is playing spoil sport.

People; I spoke with still got faith in Tata however they saying that just wait for version 2 of Bolt and feedback from owners as Tata always tested their vehicles on customers and version 2 always the best vehicle..brrr..Tata's old perception and true somehow

Thread Starter #9
Even the Manza design(Tata elegante originaly) was derived from this beauty:

Cadilac ATS

And now Tata Elegante original design concept of Manza

Last edited:
hahahaha. seriously!!

Alto k10 doing 25000 nos per month should put an end to this. And that should be one of the yuckiest cars sold in the market right now. No one has a problem with Maruthi 800cc, which was sold for over 2 decades with a little nip and tuck here and there. No one has a problem with Swift looking the same over 2 generations. And now Baleno, with a Swift inspired design.

Double standards or what!

PS: When TATA does it, its cheap cost cutting. But when others do it, look the other way. What am I ranting about?
1. Nano. It has wheels with 3 bolts only. Cheap cost cutting right? Well, Kwid too has 3 bolts. No ones bothered.
2. Nano. It has one wiper blade. Well, now see how many other cars have the same.

hahahaha. seriously!!

Alto k10 doing 25000 nos per month should put an end to this. And that should be one of the yuckiest cars sold in the market right now. No one has a problem with Maruthi 800cc, which was sold for over 2 decades with a little nip and tuck here and there. No one has a problem with Swift looking the same over 2 generations. And now Baleno, with a Swift inspired design.

Double standards or what!

PS: When TATA does it, its cheap cost cutting. But when others do it, look the other way. What am I ranting about?
1. Nano. It has wheels with 3 bolts only. Cheap cost cutting right? Well, Kwid too has 3 bolts. No ones bothered.
2. Nano. It has one wiper blade. Well, now see how many other cars have the same.
Look, Maruti is able to sell Altos because the image of 800 was of a reliable and easy to maintain vehicle, Alto in itself has proved it's durability over time. Same is the case with Swift. Maruti is not launching new vehicles inspired by less successful cars like Estilo/Ritz etc. There are many people criticizing Renault for the flimsy built/3 lug nuts etc. you can check that on Kwid's thread here.

I believe people have an image associated with a design. So, similar designs generally put similar impressions on the minds of buyers.

Maruti is not launching new vehicles inspired by less successful cars like Estilo/Ritz etc.
I believe people have an image associated with a design. So, similar designs generally put similar impressions on the minds of buyers.
To carry forward your point. Indica was never a failure. It sold at about 7000 units a month (avg) for almost a decade. All that when there was more competition in the market and there was no base like (800 in case of Alto) to associate with.

To make my point clear, design wise Indica was quiet successful. And therz no issue adopting an evolutionary approach.

I would say more than design,the cab operator image,service disasters and pricing is affecting Tata cars.When I wanted a new car,I went to Tata,but they have nothing to offer other than Zest(priced similar to swift) and Indica. If Zest/Bolt was priced as a lesser category,or with more safety features, there should have been great sales. Complacency don't have a chance in today's business. Tata was very lethargic in Indian market.

To carry forward your point. Indica was never a failure. It sold at about 7000 units a month (avg) for almost a decade. All that when there was more competition in the market and there was no base like (800 in case of Alto) to associate with.

To make my point clear, design wise Indica was quiet successful. And therz no issue adopting an evolutionary approach.
No doubt, Indica was a successful car. But, it also had a bad reputation associated with it. It is still known for it's niggles and so has a very low resale value in used car markets. My point is that repo is still in the minds of buyers. And using an adaptive design will further remind people those second hand ownership experiences.

Top Bottom