Tata Motors Developing SUV To Rival XUV500

Thread Starter #1
Tata Motors have been working on developing a new SUV which will challenge the Mahindra XUV 500. This new SUV will be based on the Raptor platform, which underpins the new Sumo too.

Codenamed Q502, the new SUV will be a seven-seater in the segment where the XUV500 operates. The pricing of this new SUV will be between INR 15-18 lakhs (on-road) and will be feature-loaded. It will get the Harman touchscreen infotainment system with 10-speakers and a completely new interior styling.

The Raptor platform, which is based on Land Rover’s Integrated Body Frame, is already seen on the Discovery 4, one of the most capable off-roaders. Tata Motors will be using this Land Rover technology to make its vehicle better than competition.. The XUV500 is an all-wheel drive, while Tata Motors will utilise the Land Rover 4WD technology
The Q502 will be powered by a new 2.0-litre Multijet engine from Fiat, which is under consideration and not yet finalised. Even Fiat plans to use this engine to power Jeep’s all new C-segment SUV, which will be also be exported from the India to other markets.

http://motoroctane.com/news/18750-tata-developing-a-mahindra-xuv500-rival-exclusive

Last edited:
Re: TATA developing a SUV to rival XUV500

If the Xuv rival is yet to be developed, Then which segment does the Hexa belong to?

Hexa is different. It is almost ready for production.
We will see it on roads next year. And it is a crossover.

The one which VM2011 is talking is a different vehicle altogether.
It will have lot of cues from LANDROVER platform. And will be placed above hexa/safari.
This will be ready only by 2017 or so.

It will have lot of cues from LANDROVER platform.
If it is then it will be awesome.
Finally, Tata has been started to use their own ( acquired ) automobile technology for their other vehicle and that should be.
I am sure it will be tough for XUV and Fortuner in coming future.
Lets see.

I fail to understand that.

Historically Tata had Safari which was competing with Scorpio and it still does. they are SUVs.

Come the Aria and XUV which are soft roaders or Cross overs. So essentially the Hexa which is based on Aria will be the competition to XUV. the new Raptor or freelander is not cross over but I believe it to be more refined SUV. and would be competition to Fortuner and Rextons. So that would essentially sit above Hexa/ Storme/ XUV/ Scorpio/Creta etc.

So for me the direct competing vehicles would be Hexa and XUV and Innova.

Hexa is different. It is almost ready for production.
We will see it on roads next year. And it is a crossover.
Is XUV any different ?
The one which VM2011 is talking is a different vehicle altogether... And will be placed above hexa/safari.
Do you mean to say XUV is a segment above hexa/safari ? [;)]

I am sure it will be tough for XUV and Fortuner in coming future.
You are getting there, rather quickly :biggrin:

@manojodungat -- Is XUV any different ?
Yep. Am not sure if am technically correct.
But my understanding is that Aria/Hexa/Ertiga/Innova belong to same segment and that would be a 7 seater crossover.
XUV is a typical SUV.

@manojodungat -- Do you mean to say XUV is a segment above hexa/safari ?
Hey I meant by the pricing. Safari top end(not storme) OTR in Bangalore is 11 lakhs.
Safari Storme top end is 18 lakhs.
XUV top end is 20.5 lakhs.

Last edited:

Hexa is not actually a crossover now as it is a Ladder-frame UV and has the Terrain-response system.
XUV is a crossover as it's a monocoque UV. But Hexa is a direct rival to the XUV.
My guess is that there will be a 5-seater UV (codenamed Kestrel) to replace the Safari and compete with the Duster/Creta/S-cross and this Flagship Brawny SUV to rival the Fortuner/Rexton; codenamed "Goshawk" I suppose.
So there will be No-more proper Life-reclaiming ladder-frame Safari? [surprise]

Guys...It is the HEXA who will compete against the XUV 500.
The base version of HEXA will start from 15 lac..(Speculated, may be less)

The base version will have all the goodies what XUV 500 W8 model have.

Note: These information collected from various sources including internet. [;)]

Top Bottom