Discussion on Vehicle Ban on Rohtang Pass

Thread Starter #1
Read this article : Link

After reading this, I felt good. Not because I can't go, but because of the way people spoil an beautiful place. It's become a habit for people to throw everything on road while traveling! I have seen Ooty during my childhood as a clean, fresh, natural greenery filled spot. But now, it is just an commercialized, dirty spot! Yes. It's been more than 6 years since I stopped going to that place!

I used to keep all plastic bags and other non-edible/degradable stuff with me and will dump it in appropriate place(still I am doing this). But apart from a handful, no one has any respect for nature. So according to me, this ban should be extended to even Leh, where the climate change impact would be disastrous. And I would suggest some options like, tourism as a package. Like they have one shuttle to bring people to the place, and they can stay as long as they want. And one shuttle to drop-off. Pickup/drop should be once a day! This will solve two things.

1. Environmental degradation(To a certain extent)

2. Travelers Itch to visit the place.

While some may argue that this is BS, but for me, this makes a lot of sense. Until people learn to plan their trip, to respect nature and keeping the surrounding clean, government shouldn't allow vehicles to enter into such area. Let it be like this, forever, instead of turning to junkyard soon!

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
You are entitled to your opinion but unfortunately I'm not sure banning the tourist is the best approach. You can not stop tourism all of a sudden. Make the rules strict and see that they are followed. People like to go and see places. Littering is bad tourism is not.

Thread Starter #3
Littering is bad tourism is not.
I certainly agree with you and I'm sorry that my post sounds like that! I never meant tourism should be completely banned, but should be carried over by an individual body. Like a flexible tourism package!

This way we can reduce the number of vehicles plying towards this route. And rules for littering should be strict and fines should be imposed then and there! Otherwise, I'm pretty sure those beautiful places are going to get spoiled...

Better way is to start a ticketing system to keep a toll of the tourists visiting daily. Have an upper cap for visitors and once done; no more tourists allowed to visit on that day.

Get locals to drive the tourists to rohtang in their taxis but the taxis should be well maintained and drivers should be well disciplined.

The driver will be the guide as well as responsible for the safety of the tourists he is carrying.

Use the money earned from tickets to maintain the roads and entire rohtang along with the proposed tourist ferrying system. People will easily shell out 2-300 bucks per adult for a day or 6 hour visit to Rohtang. Those who find it high are free not to visit and hence not add to the crowd.

@FD:
What about having Innova CNG for this duty? Good, comfy and non polluting is what we need there. If NGT can plan CNG buses for Rohtang, better will be having Innova CNG and locals driving it and taking care that tourists are safe as well as don't litter the place.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Better way is to start a ticketing system to keep a toll of the tourists visiting daily. Have an upper cap for visitors and once done; no more tourists allowed to visit on that day.

Get locals to drive the tourists to rohtang in their taxis but the taxis should be well maintained and drivers should be well disciplined.

The driver will be the guide as well as responsible for the safety of the tourists he is carrying.

Use the money earned from tickets to maintain the roads and entire rohtang along with the proposed tourist ferrying system. People will easily shell out 2-300 bucks per adult for a day or 6 hour visit to Rohtang. Those who find it high are free not to visit and hence not add to the crowd.

@FD:
What about having Innova CNG for this duty? Good, comfy and non polluting is what we need there. If NGT can plan CNG buses for Rohtang, better will be having Innova CNG and locals driving it and taking care that tourists are safe as well as don't litter the place.
Excellent suggestion! But instead of taxis plying to the spot, govt should use CNG fitted vehicles as you mentioned. And the number of vehicles also has to be limited, like 2-3 buses and handful of Innovas with fixed rate from govt!

Excellent suggestion! But instead of taxis plying to the spot, govt should use CNG fitted vehicles as you mentioned. And the number of vehicles also has to be limited, like 2-3 buses and handful of Innovas with fixed rate from govt!
Nothing like fixed rate sirji.
Let transportation be a part of the ticket. In fact even light food can also be included with fixed eateries and people will neither be allowed to carry the food items while going to Rohtang nor they will be allowed to bring the food items out of eateries. Eat and put in dustbin there itself. Dumping will be done by govt.

Top Bottom