Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Hybrid Now Launched in India

Thread Starter #1
Maruti Suzuki will launch the Ciaz hybrid for the Indian market post the Independence Day weekend. A date has not yet been confirmed for the official launch but it is speculated to launch on 19th August.

The car will be called the Ciaz SHVS, short for Smart Hybrid Vehicle System.

Along with Ciaz Hybrid, Driver’s Airbag is now standard across all variants, New V(O) variant also coming
Maruti Suzuki Ciaz will come in a new V(o) variant as well, which will get ABS and EBD as standard from this variant onwards till the Z+. Yes, that’s right Maruti is now also adding EBD to the Ciaz. Second big news is that Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Hybrid and all other Ciaz variants will get Driver airbag standard across the variant. So the base V variants also gets it. However, ABS and EBD will not be standard on V variant.
Maruti-Suzuki-Hybrid-Ciaz-SHVS (1).jpg

There is an Integrated Starter Generator in Ciaz SHVS that is attached to the engine which assist engine in power generation as it withdraws current from battery during acceleration and send combined power to wheel. This system happens vice versa and that as we know is simply called brake recuperation. While coasting or braking, the same Integrated Starter Generator will charge the batteries. The stored energy in the battery then helps in faster acceleration through the Integrated Starter Generator, which helps the engine reduce the load over itself. Once the engine is cranked at the beginning by the usual starter motor, post that all subsequent restarts will be done through Integrated Starter Generator.
There is also the famous Start-stop system that is being made available to maximize even more efficiency from the Ciaz Hybrid / Ciaz SHVS. All of this will happen if the clutch & accelerator pedal is not pressed, headlights are off and battery is charged. If the engines needs to restart, the driver’s seatbelt should be in place, driver door should be closed and hood of the car has to be closed. As we can imagine there are sensors of the hybrid system attached to all these points for safety reasons. Meanwhile driver has to press the clutch, get the car in neutral and wait for the car to come in idle RPM (which happens in milliseconds) and once again the engine has restarted and you can move ahead.
The Ciaz hybrid, as we have revealed in a previous story, replaces the current diesel version and will most likely move to the Nexa showrooms.

Source: Gaadiwadi

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Hybrid to be launched in India Sept 2015

Maruti Suzuki will launch the Ciaz hybrid for the Indian market post the Independence Day weekend.
The Ciaz hybrid, as we have revealed in a previous story, replaces the current diesel version
Well, replacing pure Diesel Version with a Hybrid Version might be a 50-50 situation for MSIL. Reasons are:

* Due to brand image there might be some takers.

* However, Hybrids are not really popular at present. So, this introduction may not help it to fly off the shelves.

* I might be thinking too loud here, still, as we do not have many options in Hybrids, so at a economical price we would be getting the technology in CIAZ. Hence, we can now consider a CIAZ over a Camry only on basis of Hybrid technology at a affordable price.

* I believe, Swift Range Extender and Hybrid CIAZ would be welcome move by MSIL as it shall help in creating a portfolio for alternate fuel products too.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

* I might be thinking too loud here, still, as we do not have many options in Hybrids, so at a economical price we would be getting the technology in CIAZ. Hence, we can now consider a CIAZ over a Camry only on basis of Hybrid technology at a affordable price.
The speculated pricing of this car will be ~Rs 75,000 (base version) to Rs 1.2 lakh (top-end) more than the price of the equivalent variant of the current Ciaz sedan.

This updated version of the Ciaz will continue to use the 1.3-litre Multijet engine but now mated to the SHVS (Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki) technology. It was shown at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show and involves the use of a lithium-ion battery which will charge using regenerative braking.

Pic source- GW
Maruti-Ciaz-SHVS-1024x559.jpg

This variant is said to feature a battery that’s thrice as large as the one in the regular Ciaz, and an Integrated Starter Generator, at the heart of all the trickery of the hybrid version. The system will draw power from the battery for acceleration and store the excess energy generated during braking to charge the battery. The hybrid Ciaz shall also have a start-stop system as well.

Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Hybrid to be launched in India post -Independence Day - CarWale News

Last edited:

Starter generator and what not.
Sounds more of a series hybrid, heck; I really need to check this one.

If the engine is driving the starter generator and the wheels are powered by the electric motors which will be supplied power by the starter generator then maybe we will get to see something like a Chevrolet Volt.

But that doesn't come cheap nor is its battery. In other words; an another parallel hybrid coming. Still, 30+ kmpl sedan is coming guys.

Can anyone confirm if the electric drive is on front wheels or on rear wheels?

I am still awaiting to see the XUV hybrid in flesh though, IMO it had the beat setup with electric BLDC motors driving rear wheels and the front one being driven by the 2.2 liter hawk.

Bookmarked this thread; I am having my chequebook open for this one as I am much interested in this HEV technology.

Last edited:

Doesnt look like it will have wheels driven by electric motors. More like a battery booster to aid acceleration and regenerative braking. Semi hybrid?

^^ Only in diesel variants? Diesel variants are already over-priced. And since diesels already give better mileage why plonk it in diesel instead of petrol? This would have worked out a lot cheaper!!

Thread Starter #9
Re: Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Hybrid To Launch Next Month in India

Maruti Suzuki's hybrid drive to begin with Ciaz launch next week. The car will be badged Ciaz SHVS (SHVS stands for Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki) and wil be in Diesel only.

The regular diesel Diesel is speculated to be discontinued. The new model will be priced around Rs 30,000 more than the Ciaz Diesel whose pricing starts from Rs 880,000 (ex-showroom Mumbai). Expect a fuel economy of 30km/l, making it the most fuel efficient car in India.

The new hybrid Ciaz is powered by Suzuki’s SHVS mild-hybrid system that employs an integrated starter generator (ISG) which provides assistance to the engine, using a motor to generate power when the vehicle accelerates. This system also comes with brake energy recuperation which helps in recovering energy when the vehicle decelerates. Also, as reported by Autocar India earlier, Maruti will add the start-stop system to enhance fuel economy.
Maruti Suzuki's hybrid drive to begin with Ciaz soon

Thread Starter #11

Does this mean now only semi hybrid versions of Ciaz Diesel are going to be sold. Thus all Ciaz Diesels will be priced 30-50K higher ex showroom?
Yes with a value of ~ 30 km/l and an increase of 30-50K INR the diesel variant of Ciaz will be only available as SHVS .

~ 30km/l - a 3 km increase will be good. But will it translate into higher ARAI figure, as at 50-70km constant speed the Brake registration etc will have minimum effect. Thee savings will be more in real world conditions right?

Heard this today and felt like WTH! Discontinuing Ciaz diesel is a bad news for existing Ciaz diesel owners and they feel sad.

Its not even six months from launch date and now Maruti Suzuki wants to replace it to Hybrid. Why didn't they think about this before?

By this, we learn not to buy products which are launched less a year ago.

Automobile market is happening like Mobile market. :frown:

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

Heard this today and felt like WTH! Discontinuing Ciaz diesel is a bad news for existing Ciaz diesel owners and they feel sad.
I don't think the existing owners need to worry about. All mechanicals like engine, transmission etc will be the same. In fact there seem to be quite a few prospective owners
considering the existing diesel Ciaz with the lucrative offers on.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Friends,

I see the following aspect in the launch of Diesel-Hybrid Ciaz i.e Maruti Suzuki being the oldest car brand in India has to lead by example i.e adopt at the earliest the positive initiatives of the govt of India. When the govt. decided to curb the pollution levels and down the line revise the emission norms and improve air-quality then to attain all these, foremost, the vehicular pollution needed to be controlled. Even though diesel engines of today are more eco-friendly than earlier yet if NGT goes to implement the ban on 10 year old cars and it becomes a law then after 10 years even CIAZ may get extinct. So, as Maruti has a practice of not rolling out new cars pretty often and their products have long selling life cycle so they would not like CIAZ to go extinct in one decade. Hence, they have decided to opt for a better option i.e provision of partial hybrid technology just in less than a year. Moreover they'll be benefited by govt. benefits on it.

However, as its nearing to the launch, I would like to know, will MSIL go the Toyota's way i.e how will the benefit of buying a hybrid car get passed to the owner? In launch of Camry Hybrid I was told that the benefit would be passed on as subsidy in the owner's account. So before buying, this thing needs to be clear.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom