Maruti Suzuki To Introduce New Alto 800 This Year

Thread Starter #1
Maruti to launch new Alto 800 in December, Diesel variant likely.

Maruti Suzuki has a number of new models lined up for the year. One of them is a new Alto 800 which is likely to be more fuel efficient as a lot of engineering and innovation is believed to have gone into it.
The earlier Alto, available in petrol and CNG, delivered an ARAI-tested mileage of 22kpl. The carmaker is likely to better it in the upcoming small entry hatchback .

the new Alto could also get the two-cylinder 800cc diesel engine developed by Suzuki Japan and currently powering the recently launched diesel Celerio hatchback, which delivers a segment-best ARAI certified 27.62kpl. The Alto 800 competes with the Datsun Go and the Hyundai Eon in the entry hatchback segment.

Exclusive: Maruti to launch new Alto 800 in December, diesel variant likely

Alto diesel is a funny proposition. What's the need, I wonder. It will make the little car a bit more expensive for the first-time buyer aam junta, and if they are going to spend as much, why not buy the Celerio petrol instead would be the reasoning. Alto K10 petrol engine is good enough. Putting the Celerio diesel to Alto 800 makes no sense.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Alto diesel is a funny proposition. What's the need, I wonder. It will make the little car a bit more expensive for the first-time buyer aam junta, and if they are going to spend as much, why not buy the Celerio petrol instead would be the reasoning. Alto K10 petrol engine is good enough. Putting the Celerio diesel to Alto 800 makes no sense.
Buddy, by rolling out the Celerio Diesel, MSIL did a blunder and rightly the product got the feedback too. Listening and reading the feedback, Maruti Suzuki might have planned that they need a VFM hatch-commuter in Diesel for the initial price bracket and above that they understood that Celerio diesel would only sell in rural areas and among a few novice buyers who go for brand name. Hence, to tap the major chunk of buyer base here in India, they intend to provide a better refined diesel engine in Alto 800. As for the Price point in Celerio Petrol and Alto 800, See Maruti knows the segment it is catering to with a start-of-line product i.e Alto 800 so in no ways it would be pricing it OTR or Ex-showroom in a way that it comes close to Celerio Petrol. About K10 Petrol and the future Alto 800cc diesel, as of the majority of buyers here, if given a option by a brand like Maruti, of a VFM diesel in their product then for sure, the demand and purchase shall see a sharp change. Also I would like to quote a few words from my Celerio Diesel Review here, I already pointed out the feasibility of 800cc diesel in Alto 800 much earlier;

If they were so hell bent to come up with a Diesel 800cc engine then why didn't they use it in Alto800 or K10 straight away? What was the need to violate the poor Celerio with an unnecessary transplant? I fear one thing i.e its life may turn short like Esteem Diesel and Zen Diesel. This 800cc engine needs a lot of re-work.
Regards

Akash

The ALTO 800 petrol VXI with AIRBAG costs somewhat nearly 3.6 lacs ex showroom.That means the on road price will be near 4 lac range.If this one with diesel power train is introduced,add another 70000 RS to the on road price of petrol,the end result is 4.7 lac.That's dangerously near 5 lac range:eek:.That means India's cheapest hatch is going to sell in high premium.IMHO,a customer with 5lac budget will go for other offerings like CELERIO DDIS.

This is just my own opinion,i don't know if i'm anywhere wrong.

@akash1886 The cost of Alto diesel, unless MSL pulls a good one out from its magic hat, will shoot through the roof. The target buyers will have a lot of time and reasons to rethink their decision. Why not go for even Celerio petrol in that price, considering the space, looks and engine benefits. However, it could happen that diesel Alto makes a lot of sense for taxi operators.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The cost of Alto diesel, unless MSL pulls a good one out from its magic hat, will shoot through the roof. The target buyers will have a lot of time and reasons to rethink their decision. Why not go for even Celerio petrol in that price, considering the space, looks and engine benefits.
See buddy, if MSIL prices Alto 800 diesel at par to Celerio Diesel then they would be axing the sales of their Alto 800 diesel as it wont be working because Celerio is bigger than Alto 800 in size and appeal. Second thing would be, the "Kitna Deti hai" syndrome, it is always known that Diesels give better FE than Petrol so Alto 800 diesel would surely be having higher FE than Petrol Celerio. So, even with a diesel engine ALTO 800 would, in all likelihood, be priced below Celerio Diesel and people may still opt for Diesel Alto 800 over Petrol Celerio.

However, it could happen that diesel Alto makes a lot of sense for taxi operators.
Maruti's majority of vehicles including CIAZ have now entered fleets. So, yes diesel Alto 800 would give them an added advantage surely.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom