Road Tax To Be Increased For High-End Automobiles

Thread Starter #1
Rs. 1 lakh road tax on for cars costing Rs. 10 lakh!
Applicable to vehicles that cost 10 lakhs or more, the luxury of driving a spacious sedan, a rugged SUV or a nifty superbike will soon come with a higher price tag with the transport department proposing to increase registration tax to 10% of the vehicle's cost for high-end automobiles.
So far, a vehicle owner had to pay 8% of the vehicle's cost as registration tax. The proposed 2% increase, aimed at mopping up more revenue, will be applicable on luxury four-wheelers priced above Rs 10 lakh.
48031773.jpg

Get ready to pay Rs 1 lakh as road tax for a Rs 10 lakh car, in Lucknow | ET Auto

Last edited:
Road tax to be increased for high-end automobiles

I bought a xuv500 recently and got it registered at my office address in Noida, instead of my residence in delhi. that helped me save about 55 K. So it means, there wont be a difference in the road tax charged in Delhi and UP. Isn't it ?

Re: Road tax to be increased for high-end automobiles

Rs. 1 lakh road tax on for cars costing Rs. 10 lakh!
Applicable to vehicles that cost 10 lakhs or more, the luxury of driving a spacious sedan, a rugged SUV or a nifty superbike will soon come with a higher price tag with the transport department proposing to increase registration tax to 10% of the vehicle's cost for high-end automobiles.

View attachment 174931

Get ready to pay Rs 1 lakh as road tax for a Rs 10 lakh car, in Lucknow | ET Auto
For Bangaloreans,this is not a news .We pay 16% for cars which are costing 5 lakhs and above.So,those people who comes from other areas are also asked to pay up. There must be a uniform tax structure. Is any body clear on how the tax collected is transferred to the treasury and how is it helping the roads? RTO tax is part of state revenue.

Re: Road tax to be increased for high-end automobiles

I don't think the road tax paid is directly used for constructing better infrastructure. Its more like a giant company like tata investing on multiple sectors where the amount generated from one is invested on multiple sectors. You pay the road tax it goes into the government account they can use it to whatever seems to be urgent. It can also serves the freebies which fetch them votes. So there is no point in tracking where the money goes.

Top Bottom