Are ‘Cheap’ Cars the Way to Go?

Are cheap cars the way to go?

• Yes, They are the way to go!!

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No, They'll only increase road traffic.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Some of you might have noticed the Poll which we had last week on TAI’s Homepage about Cheap Cars, whether they are the way to go or just going to increase road traffic, Since many of the reputed car makers are in the race to produce cheap cars, after Nano. I’d like to put the very same poll in our forum and collect your views and opinions on this subject. Let the polling begin!

Drive Safe,
350Z

I voted, "I'm not sure". This is because on one hand, the introduction of smaller and cheaper cars will result in a lot of people finally having personal means of mobility and freedom from the monopoly of the taxi and auto-rickshaw drivers. Comfort, convenience and safety during travel is something that everyone needs and deserves. Fuel-efficient, light small cars are certainly the way to go if the rising population is considered. Smaller cars are easier to drive, park, repair and consume considerably less fuel too.

However, on the other hand, this can prove to be a bane for Indian traffic. You see, we already bang our heads on the windscreens of our cars when we're stuck in the weakest of traffic jams, and with more and more cars rolling down the road, traffic rates are bound to increase and the day won't be far when we might have to witness the same 10 day traffic block-out seen in China recently. Quite frankly, our car industry is growing quicker than our basic infrastructure can develop. We can stretch our supply and demand, but one thing we can't control is NATURE. We don't have proper roads, safety measures in vulnerable places like highways are negligible and people are least bothered to adhere to traffic rules. Secondly, with more and more newbies (who assumably haven't driven ever before) taking to the wheel, more and more accidents will take place.
Thirdly, the incessant flow of new cars on the road will ultimately result in a drastic rise in pollution levels (which are already higher than they're supposed to be), more so in major cities. Fuel consumption will too go up and with unthinkable and ridiculously high demand, prices of fuels will shoot up too.

All these factors are serious enough to be taken into consideration and as I am still not sure if the pros outweigh the cons or vice versa, I have voted "I AM NOT SURE".

+1 to all of Amaan's statement. It has its own advantages and disadvantages. But the negatives far outweighs the positives.

Even if we manage to develop the infrastructure , pollution is one which cannot be controlled.

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team
That’s true, Amaan. Well said. This was exactly my reaction after reading about the launch of Rs.1 Lakh car, a few years ago, but then, on the other hand, number of automobiles is bound to increase anyhow and I am in favor, because this is one of the factor which would ultimately lead us towards social and economic development. Some foreign nations have very well found the alternatives or the solution to cope up with such issues; however, it is us, who’re lagging behind in terms of infrastructure and if it's let as it is, we can probably imagine what’s going to happen next, very soon.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Definitely Cheap cars are the way to go atleast for begginers.

I am sure 90% of the first buyers look for cars lesser than 5 Lakhs.

There is no doubt that this leds to huge rise in Pollution & unnecessary traffic too..

May be helpful in increasing economy of govt & to get the surplus out.

Re: Are ‘Cheap’ Cars the Way to Go?

I voted, "I'm not sure". This is because on one hand, the introduction of smaller and cheaper cars will result in a lot of people finally having personal means of mobility and freedom from the monopoly of the taxi and auto-rickshaw drivers. Comfort, convenience and safety during travel is something that everyone needs and deserves. Fuel-efficient, light small cars are certainly the way to go if the rising population is considered. Smaller cars are easier to drive, park, repair and consume considerably less fuel too.

However, on the other hand, this can prove to be a bane for Indian traffic. You see, we already bang our heads on the windscreens of our cars when we're stuck in the weakest of traffic jams, and with more and more cars rolling down the road, traffic rates are bound to increase and the day won't be far when we might have to witness the same 10 day traffic block-out seen in China recently. Quite frankly, our car industry is growing quicker than our basic infrastructure can develop. We can stretch our supply and demand, but one thing we can't control is NATURE. We don't have proper roads, safety measures in vulnerable places like highways are negligible and people are least bothered to adhere to traffic rules. Secondly, with more and more newbies (who assumably haven't driven ever before) taking to the wheel, more and more accidents will take place.
Thirdly, the incessant flow of new cars on the road will ultimately result in a drastic rise in pollution levels (which are already higher than they're supposed to be), more so in major cities. Fuel consumption will too go up and with unthinkable and ridiculously high demand, prices of fuels will shoot up too.

All these factors are serious enough to be taken into consideration and as I am still not sure if the pros outweigh the cons or vice versa, I have voted "I AM NOT SURE".
Very well said, I too have voted 'I'm Not Sure' as it has both advantages & dis-advantages, I too got my car when my wife was pregnant and I was fed-up of the nuisance of auto-rickshaws and bad quality of ride that they provide. Cars are no more a luxury but a necessity like our mobile phones, kids especially are more safe in an enclosed car than a full family of 4 traveling on a two-wheeler especially in the rains, but Govt. needs to build wide & better roads, its very sad when we see such infrastructure in-spite of paying so much Income-Tax, RTO Tax & what not taxes [frustration]. Lets hope for the best.

That’s true, Amaan. Well said. This was exactly my reaction after reading about the launch of Rs.1 Lakh car, a few years ago, but then, on the other hand, number of automobiles is bound to increase anyhow and I am in favor, because this is one of the factor which would ultimately lead us towards social and economic development. Some foreign nations have very well found the alternatives or the solution to cope up with such issues; however, it is us, who’re lagging behind in terms of infrastructure and if it's let as it is, we can probably imagine what’s going to happen next, very soon.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Govt. should promote the development of green cars like 'Reva','Prius' etc. which will reduce pollution, these cars are overpriced. Hope to have those solutions implemented in our dear country like wider roads, good quality flyovers, multi-storey public parking buildings, good public transport system etc. Lets hope for the best.

Last edited:
Re: Are ‘Cheap’ Cars the Way to Go?

+1 to all of Amaan's statement. It has its own advantages and disadvantages. But the negatives far outweighs the positives.

Even if we manage to develop the infrastructure , pollution is one which cannot be controlled.
Pollution is already wasted by western countries, we had till date spoiled only a little bit. So if we little pollute the nature, it will not be unfair. During my us trip, I remarked that 3 lanes are bumper to bumper traffic while one lane is empty & any car in that lane move at rocket speed. My friend replied, that lane is only for those cars that have in car passengers more than one. So in US & many more western countries, cars are driven & occupied by only one person, while in India, most single person prefer to drive scooter in urban areas even though have car at home. As in all other field, we are following American culture & system, so let it be it in Car driving & owning also.

Top Bottom