Tata Altroz (X451) Premium Hatchback Launched

Thread Starter #1
Tata To Launch Nexon Based X451 Premium Hatch To Rival Elite i20

Tata Motors is working on the Nexon compact SUV that will rival the Ford EcoSport in the segment while the X451 will be competing against the Hyundai Elite i20 and upcoming Maruti YRA.

Tata-Nexon-Side.jpg

You read it first on MotorBeam. Tata Motors launched the Zest last year which did get the ball rolling, but the Bolt came and complicated matters once again for the Indian auto giant. The Bolt’s premium pricing and the cosmetic familiarity to the older Vista have affected its sales gravely with the premium hatchback doing disappointing numbers month-on-month (633 units in April 2015). Tata is assessing the situation and while we expected a price correction on the Bolt, the Indian automaker plans to re-position the hatchback against the Maruti Swift and Hyundai Grand i10 instead of the premium Hyundai i20.
Instead, Tata Motors is now developing a new premium hatchback codenamed ‘X451′ that will take on the Hyundai Elite i20 as well as the upcoming Maruti Suzuki YRA (concept named iK-2) in the future. The premium hatchback space is promising given the popularity of the Elite i20 and Tata too wants to earn a chunk of this pie. The X451 though will be based on the upcoming Nexon compact SUV that was showcased at the 2014 Auto Expo last February. The Nexon is based on the X1 platform that underpins the Bolt as well, but we expect the automaker to tweak the chassis further to make it sportier on the upcoming premium hatchback.
Tata will also be borrowing the design language on the new X451 from the Nexon so expect to see a wide and bold grille along with an interestingly done up rear. Hopefully, the company won’t stick to the tall boy design language this time round. In terms of tech, expect Tata to fill the X451 right up to the brim in order to make the offering competitive against the Elite i20. Power, on the other hand, will most likely come from the 1.2-litre Revotron petrol and 1.3-litre diesel engine options that will be tuned for better performance. A launch date has not been revealed yet but expect the upcoming premium hatchback to debut in 2017.

Read more at Tata To Launch Nexon Based X451 Premium Hatchback To Rival Elite i20 | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Last edited:
Re: TATA X451 Premium Hatch rival of Elite i20

Tata have a lot of work to do, if they want to
1. Rival the Polo, i20, Jazz
2. Become a successful & established hatch.

To become a worthy rival, Tata must make absolutely sure what kind of car they engineer/develop. Just redesigning a car on same platform with similar looks won't do it for Tata. The Bolt is the best example. It is nothing but a reworked Vista and it is a dud.
If Tata indeed wants a hatch to be established player in this hot segment, They need to keep all the things that the rivals have/do well. Like say, the i20 is stylish inside & out, the Polo is Dynamically sorted with Good Ride & Excellent Handling. The Punto is again good car dynamically. The Swift scored high on Value & Efficiency and not to forget the trademark After Sales. The Jazz is an exceptionally practical car. So, here each car has its own set of uniqueness. Tata needs to get more then 1 of these type to make sure it puts that lasting impression on customer such that they'll think twice before heading to other cars. This key aspect is somewhat missing in current Tata cars. It's not easy to dethrow these established rivals. Hence Tata needs to provide All New Design and offer better Engine & Gearboxes. They also need to maintain their current hallmark of Spacious Cabins. They should make the car more fun to drive and inspire the confidence to be good handling car. And last but not the least, they must price it cheaper then Rivals in order to make sure that the overall product satisfaction at a reasonable/good price(Ex OnePlus One smartphone) will surely entice customers into Tata Showrooms and will be a success if Tata gets all these things right. If not, I see Tata losing all the money they have invested in this All New Hatch.

Last edited:

Merely launching a car at the same price point of Swift or i20, will not challenge these cars. Vista, Punto, Liva, Sail, Beat, Fabia, Polo, Micra etc are proof enough for that. The phrase to describe 'Swift taking the market and i10 & 120 redefining the market', is paradigm shift. After super Zest and mediocre Bolt, TATA has to find THAT shift.

A simple line to discuss Tata cars is- Moderately priced and featured and built Car.

It must improve mainly the build quality, and the design,it feels small in some angles- Evident in both zest and bolt.

engine wise-i think technologically its improving,also gadgets are also included.

Its very simple. They need to evolve and come out of the Indica design. See how wonderfully Hyundai is coming out of the fluidic design that once defined their cars. Grand i10 and Elite i20 are proofs of them coming out of the old design but however retaining the Hyundai DNA. Same with Honda, current City and Jazz are so vastly different from their previous generations. Design needs to be fresh for the market to accept, especially if the cars belonging to previous generations were not great successes.

So, for Tata, it is obvious that they need to step out of the Indica design. That is one main reason why Zest and Bolt are not doing well - they resemble the Vista so much. Their Hexa concept is the first deviation seen in years. Hope the new car also follows an entirely new design and that should help a bit. Tata has vastly improved in quality and feature-list. So, I feel, once they come up with a really fresh design - the sales will also catch up.

Thread Starter #7
Re: Tata X451 Premium Hatchback To Rival Hyundai Elite i20

right now every one launching Premium hatchbacks and later they adding crossover version to that hatchback aka elite i20 and i20 active but here i think tata want play different sources saying that this TATA X451 premium HatchBack is based on TATA Nexon Compact SUV so its clear that first they launch compact SUV or Crossover with high ground clearence with roughed looks then they will launch a hatch back with less ground clearence with softer looks [;)]

As you see from the figure the front seat door is very big and back seat door is too small. It it a design mistake.Where is the door handle

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

As you see from the figure the front seat door is very big and back seat door is too small. It it a design mistake.Where is the door handle
It's just a concept. Production versions are really different , more boring :p

Thread Starter #10

This is not production version and this concept have suicide doors so in production version we get traditional doors

It is nice that TATA Motors is taking brisk and nice steps towards revival. I am pleased with this.

But don't you think it is too early to hit the premium hatchback segment?

A of now TML has a Sub-4 M SUV, a Power hatch, Q series of SUVs, HEXA and also Strome still on hands and as of now its hands are full and is on a tight budget. First they should get the right mix of products and then venture into premium segment along with this and car for Manza revival competing with YRA/i20 and City/Vento resp. But this should take to 2018 until then I expect TML to stablise.

Last edited:

By 2018, the competition would also have moved on..I guess Tata fans want things faster than possible-Hyundai though seem to pull new models (v good ones at that) out of a hat!

Thread Starter #13

atleast we can expect this New hatchback launch after 6 to 8months launch NEXON current sources says Nexon going to launch by end of this year.

well, now where will refreshed bolt (as projected to be taking cues from nexon, automatic gear box and new powerful engine) sit in that case? So we have the new bolt then we have this premium hatch and then we have compact SUV aka nexon. All these vehicles launched in 2017?

current sources says Nexon going to launch by end of this year.
I think this isunlikely since there will be tiago some time during April-May then they have to launch Hexa around Diwali, and then instantly nexon. Impossible. They will launch nexon around Jan/Feb 2017 at the earliest. we need to pray and hope that there is no typhooon, or earthquake or virus or a dictator or any calamity with name Nexon around the launch of the car. Else the launch will then be put off by another couple of months. We want the nexon to hit the market asap.

Last edited:

The concept looks good (similar to Nexon) but TML needs to launch the new vehicles as soon as possible to capture the sales number.

Top Bottom