Road Tax vs Toll Tax: Should We Actually Pay Toll Tax?

Should Toll Tax Be Abolished Pan-India?

• Yes

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

I just put forward a simple question here, as we buy a new vehicle then accordingly we are told to pay road tax which is included in the price. So, for what reason do we pay toll tax when the road tax in itself is a proof that the car/bike/multi-axle is free to be driven on Indian roads. Why do different states charge toll tax when road tax for a vehicle is paid-in already? Does it really make sense for us to pay toll tax and road tax both for a single vehicle? Is toll tax really needed to be paid? The road tax that the owner pays at time of purchase also goes to govt. and the toll tax that we pay also goes to govt. Then why not the vehicle buyers in India be exempted from toll tax once road tax is paid?

Looking forward for your views.

Regards

Akash

bhvm

Honoured Member
akash, a very old and very valid question.
however it's the stupidity /ignorance and red-tapism of the govt to charge N NUMBER of taxes on same product.

leave toll tax, we have already paid-
vat tax /sales tax / CST
octori
education cess
LBT
exise
service tax
income tax.
rto registration
road rax
suv / high cap engine tax
import duty if any.
taxes on fuel and consumables.

We have chosen some people's servants (politicians)and they are busy doing their duties for us[frustration] and that's why its our responsibility to pay money to make sure they can enjoy their life in foreign countries and would be able to collect some black money to secure their future.[frustration]

Toll tax is not to be paid as there is already tax being taken from consumers in the name of road tax.It is the duty of the government to provide better roads and highways for the citizens. The amount of road tax people pay is never audited or accounted correctly in any states. The reason behind this is the laundering of this money.Since this tax must be paid for the development of the roads,this needs to be diverted through different ministries and channels by which a lot of pilferage happens.One must also think about the tax we are paying for the fuel in to consideration. Tolls are ways of getting extra money for the system,which again not reaching the exact beneficiary or the state coffers.

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
As I have seen, for example the DND toll here in Noida, started in 2001 and now its 2015, in 14 years it has recovered its cost and yet when it had started the 4 wheeler paid 16 rupees and now we pay 28 rupees from 1 side. The rise in the price has been done as per the requirement of the company that has built it. Do these private companies who run such tolls actually need this sort of high revenue even after full-cost recovery? If their accounts may ever be audited for the tolls they charge per passage on weekly/monthly/annual basis, it would surely be clear, how much profit they might have earned in this period after recovery. The Gurgaon toll that was constructed after DND has been shut long back after it recovered its cost and it also was major cause of huge traffic jams on NH8.

Adding a small calculation about per/km charge of DND Toll: Rs 16 for 4km stretch. So per km cost is Rs 16/4 = Rs. 4

In 2015 we are paying Rs 28 for the same stretch of 4 km so in today's time per km cost to the owner is Rs 28/4 = Rs 7

So we have been paying almost double the price/km at present and there is the same 4 km stretch from Noida Sector 16A to New Friends Colony.

Over that, the toll is also separately charged for the people who take de-tour to Mayur Vihar which also is Rs. 28.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
In these days there is looting everywhere in Punjab. Nearest Toll plaza to me is only 3 kms away on state highway. From my village i drive 2 kms to this highway on almost non existing road and as soon as i drive 1 km on highway there comes Toll where i have to pay Rs. 50 one side [frustration]. After paying this amount why should i have to drive on road full of potholes .
If you are driving from Hoshiarpur or Jalandhar to Ludhiana then on the bridge of Sutlej river there is a toll where you have to pay rs. 120 for one side [frustration]

Karnataka is the worst in the world when it comes to toll tax. We already pay the highest road tax but then again we have to pay highest toll taxes also. That includes roads inside city also [frustration]

Toll tax rates within city-
Nice ring road (hosur road- mysore road, 30kms) - 90rs one way. No 2 way discount.
Airport road (around 20-25kms) - 120rs both wsy, 80rs one way.

And what not.. nice ring road were collecting toll tax even when govt. order was not to collect tax during demonitisation - demonetisation of currency: NICE Road levies toll even after government relief - Times of India

I found this nice article on Overdrive - Can tolls be totally done away with? - Overdrive

NICE road toll is ₹155/-.
Also we pay toll on private roads, Roads sold by the GOVT to private companies to Build, Operate, Own and Transfer. (BOOT Model). Thus we have no right to complain about the toll. And there are always other GOVT owned roads that may be used without paying toll.

NICE road toll is ₹155/-.
Also we pay toll on private roads, Roads sold by the GOVT to private companies to Build, Operate, Own and Transfer. (BOOT Model). Thus we have no right to complain about the toll. And there are always other GOVT owned roads that may be used without paying toll.
This is baseless. In that case we don't have any right to complain against govt. since we elected them.
What if govt sells the road next to your house and you have to daily cross it paying 100rs Everytime? Will you not complain? Selling public roads to private companies is unethical. Roads should always belong to govt. Even in boot model govt should have a realistic cap on the toll tax. My friends frind daily crosses tumkur road and daily he has to pay toll tax. There should not be any toll tax inside city. Toll tax is all about scam. It is an yearly contract given to vendors and whoever bribes more gets the contract so we end up paying unrealistic rates. The crowd for toll lane is another issue.

Top Bottom