Did You Buy Compact Sedan For Status?

Did you buy/bought Compact Sedan for status?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
I have seen in lot of places, that say sedan=status. Although it may be true years ago, now the trend is shifting towards SUV.

I bought Xcent over Grand, because of the practicality, other small stuffs which made Xcent VFM over Grand. And above all, long trips in our beloved Figo with 4 passengers and load of baggage/goods proved to be tough. After Xcent, the same travel becomes less clutter. Now we can put everything into boot, and even worst cases, we hardly had a couple of small bags near rear seat. So this is the kinda things that made us buy CS over HB.

Also, I strongly disagree everyone who says, CS segment will kill any other category. No. It won't. Look at sales of Elite i20/City/Ciaz and other handful of sedans/permium HB etc. CS is here to stay and create niche segment for those who want compatibility of HB but usability aspect of Sedan.

So please vote and voice your opinions.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Did you buy/bought Compact Sedan for status?

I have seen in lot of places, that say sedan=status. Although it may be true years ago, now the trend is shifting towards SUV.So please vote and voice your opinions.
A question well placed to begin with FD[:)]. Now, not having owned a hatch or CS but have traveled in both. Buying a CS or Hatchback apart from status depends foremost on the Budget of a person/family. Sedan=status is actually existing among some old-timers but at large definitely the perceptions have changed. Considering the traffic, tight parking spaces and other practicalities the Compact Sedan is definitely the right choice today. I'll tell you about myself, having sedans does provide comfort and visual appeal still on roads today, driving a big sedan is a pain. So, in comparison, CS cars are better.

On another note, looks of compact sedans are largely criticized by many, but one thing needs to be put in perspective i.e CS cars are the gap filler between Hatch back and a proper sedan. So, in CS, in terms of looks not much can be done to change the basic design of the base car. The reason for rolling out a compact sedan is just to provide the maneuverability of a hatchback and space of sedan to an extent to those who wish to buy a car with looks of sedan and driving ease of a hatchback. In India, people at large believe in having a car that has a separate boot. The "Badi Gaadi" and "Choti Gaadi" syndrome is much prevalent here.

In terms of status, I feel, priorities of a person are an important factor in car-buying decision. Everyone wants a beautiful sedan in parking but many things need to be thought of in today's time prior to purchase. Today owning a car is nothing exclusive. The finances have become easier for a person to get a car. So, based on requirement and budget choices are there so one buys accordingly and does not believe much in terms of "status". Status Symbol today starts from above 30 Lac car/SUV like Benz C, Jaguar etc. So I feel, more than status its the need of person which ultimately leads to buy a CS.

Coming to a important question, Will I buy 1? If its for my family as a alternate car then surely. Today we have cars like Zest, Xcent, Amaze which are technology wise and expense wise cheaper to full size Sedan then why not buy it. Its for sure a wise decision to have smaller yet elegant and well featured CS in the parking.

On a lighter note, There was a time when, we had a bulky laptop, it was seen as status, then came Ipads, the people graduated at large from laptops to Ipads because they are compact and easy to handle than a bulky laptop then after a while came in smart phones which were much lighter, provided features of a laptop and available in cheaper prices than laptop/ipads. So not only based on status, rather people who looked for having a compact device with features of a computer went in for that instead of laptop. So all in all it basically boils down to requirements.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Well said Akash. You took words right from my mouth(or my fingers that was about to type![:D])

There are lot of misconceptions surround CS, and I created this thread to compose them all in one place to discuss.

Guys, what about the people who compromise top end model of a hatchback for a lower variant of a CS? is it worth the compromize?

based on requirement and budget choices are there so one buys accordingly and does not believe much in terms of "status". Status Symbol today starts from above 30 Lac car/SUV like Benz C, Jaguar etc. So I feel, more than status its the need of person which ultimately leads to buy a CS.
Akash, I beg to differ here. There are people who never able to own a 30lakh+ car, but easily afford the newer cars under 15 lakhs. They dont even buy a benz/audi/BMW as a used car too, fearing about the maintenance and resale value. Innova & honda city are the vehicles they buy as their status symbol.

A full option xylo wil cost almost same price of a honda city diesel and lower varient of innova, still none of the city/innova owners like to agree the xylo owner will get the same attention. For a city owner most of their requirements will met in a sunny too, still they go for costly city.

for the question in the thread subject, i already voted for 'hell no'.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

Guys, what about the people who compromise top end model of a hatchback for a lower variant of a CS? is it worth the compromize?
No. But it is upto the user who decide. I had the same dilemma, yet I chose to go with Xcent S Petrol because
1. Boot proves to be too useful for my shopping/short trips
2. Grand i10 Asta(O) is way beyond my budget.
3. All those electrical problems made me little hesitant.

But I am well aware on what am I compromising but I have to pick all rounder for peanuts and so I did.

Akash, I beg to differ here. There are people who never able to own a 30lakh+ car, but easily afford the newer cars under 15 lakhs. They dont even buy a benz/audi/BMW as a used car too, fearing about the maintenance and resale value. Innova & honda city are the vehicles they buy as their status symbol.

A full option xylo wil cost almost same price of a honda city diesel and lower varient of innova, still none of the city/innova owners like to agree the xylo owner will get the same attention. For a city owner most of their requirements will met in a sunny too, still they go for costly city.

for the question in the thread subject, i already voted for 'hell no'.
When we had plan to buy SUV, we went ahead and chose Xylo over Innova, based on some practical points.

1. Price
2. Comfort level in 3rd row
3. You get ABS+Airbags at price lesser than Base Variant Innova
4. Power is good and comparable to Innova
5. It doesn't look bad as everyone portrays and why do I care about it, if I get comfort that an Innova can't give.

Some people pick cars based on needs, and some picked based on status/advice from guys of same status.

Sorry for off-topic but I felt the need to explain it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I feel, this is done based on a common sentiment i.e "Choti Gaadi" Vs "Badi Gaadi". However, one should not be really focused on social attributes and be content with his/her choice and if at all one has to compromise then it should be on features like ACC, In-dash Music System and strictly not on safety.

Releesh, I am sure you'll agree that Enlightened and Educated people like all of us here don't fall for so called status symbol The so called "status" symbol is all vague. Will that "status symbol car" have 6 wheels? "Will it Fly"? No. My simple point is, a car shouldn't be seen as a status symbol but we live in a world, where an expensive purchase converts to a status symbol(for some time) and some people create a so called "Level" above which a purchase should be seen as exclusive. So based on this I said, 30 lac is at present for many like me is a benchmark of exclusivity. Being a proud owner is always a matter of happiness for a owner be it a City or a Jaguar. It as I said depends on needs and budget. If one has the money, the choices are accordingly placed. It is upto the owner how he/she may project the purchase. But today, due to available resources, people can acquire a nice car be it sedan, CS, SUV et al. Not necessarily, they should be seen as a status because no car in actual sense is exclusive today be it a CBU or CKD. To sum it up, All I can say is, Every car is there for a purpose and one should buy it to fulfill the purpose. Compact Sedans are no less than any other car. If one has the budget go for a fully loaded version else go for a version that fits your bill.

I would like to give a example here, I am planning to buy a 4th sedan, and you know, I am looking for a Blue Ciaz, which was sighted at the Maruti Plant, but not on any road in whole India. Probably if I may buy one then it would be exclusive but definitely not a Status Symbol. I'll buy it for purpose.

Regards

Akash

So guys my point here is,though some of us here might buy on our perferences, the common sentiment driving the CS sales is the "BADI GAADI" feel.
For Me I chose I10 GRAND ASTA(O) over the CS for the ABS + AIRBAGS. Also I feel the flexibility of space (luggage) that a good size HAtchback offers these days with Foldable rear seats is also worth consideration.
To add to this its always an Hatchback drive feeling with CS. so whay not buy a fully loaded hatchback.

So I would never buy a CS for status symbol,and nor even the space (few litres) difference of boot justifies (no personal offense) buying a CS over a better hatchback that one could get.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9

@parth1231
Everyone has their reasons. I can't say yours is bad and mine is good. Buying an HB over CS, might be perfect for you. But for us, people who load their boot to brim, it will not be right one! I bought the Xcent just for additional boot space and only for BOOT! I owned Alto, and I hate the feeling you get when you see your minuscule boot stuffed till rear windshield area! That is ugly!!! I get that 60:40 split, but what if I have 4 passengers and more luggage! I still remember the time, where we suffered due to this and promised myself that I won't let it happen again. So for me, it is necessity. But that's just me.

Hey mate I thought we are discussing a general perception here.Both have pros and cons and thats what I said, a buyer on this forum will have logical reasons for the purchase.
BUT for the masses its the badi Gaadi and SEdan feel that dominates.When one get a bigger car for the same money indian buyer tends to prefer that.

Compact sedan! Na na na, not for me. No offense to owners though!

I have my own set of questions and doubts regarding them.

Its liker performance of a hatchback and accidental repair costs, FE and maintenance of a sedan. In other words one neither get the proper sedan joy; nor the hatchback practicality is enjoyed.

Safety: I have always seen these compact sedans turning into unrecognizable tin boxes if hit from back by anything quite hard. Even the hatchbacks like Punto perform better than them.

No matter how well they are designed; they always remain disproportionate.

Look at the VFM factor, for the same money one can get a way better hatchback or way more loaded hatchback version of the same car.

Thread Starter #12
Hey mate I thought we are discussing a general perception here.Both have pros and cons and thats what I said, a buyer on this forum will have logical reasons for the purchase.
BUT for the masses its the badi Gaadi and SEdan feel that dominates.When one get a bigger car for the same money indian buyer tends to prefer that.
Sorry if my previous post sounded rude!!! It never meant to be. I was trying to explain the reason why people buy CS over top end HB. As you said, I never picked Xcent for the bigger feel. I always wanted Sedan. My initial decision was to buy an used SX4, but due to not good options and sudden financial crisis, we had to pick CS. I checked Gi10 while I shop for car, but the minuscule boot made me go away from it. Xcent was nothing but gi10 with big boot for my trip. Now that I travel once every 2 months to my hometown and buy some groceries and stuffs, for which this Xcent boot proved to be useful. So I was actually defending why I bought CS and never thought the post could make you feel un-comfy!

Compact sedan! Na na na, not for me. No offense to owners though!

I have my own set of questions and doubts regarding them.

Its liker performance of a hatchback and accidental repair costs, FE and maintenance of a sedan. In other words one neither get the proper sedan joy; nor the hatchback practicality is enjoyed.

Safety: I have always seen these compact sedans turning into unrecognizable tin boxes if hit from back by anything quite hard. Even the hatchbacks like Punto perform better than them.

No matter how well they are designed; they always remain disproportionate.

Look at the VFM factor, for the same money one can get a way better hatchback or way more loaded hatchback version of the same car.
I replied for parth's post which pretty much sums up. Not everyone is financially blessed with, like you([;)]). So we had to choose from what small pool of options we had to, fullfill our needs as well as budget! And for this, CS is right buy for someone who want a new sedan in <8L! I guess I explained it right!

Apart from petrolheads i doubt that most of the common peoples cant yet differentiate between Sedan and Compact Sedan. For such people everything with the boot is sedan.

Last week a family in our society brought Rapid, the very next morning when i was cleaning my car there came another guy and following conversation happened between them

Rapid Guy - Hey have you seen our new Rapid, yesterday evening i got the delivery
Other Guy - Nice car and nice colour as well. Why didn,t you considered Amaze rather than Skoda
Rapid Guy - I have checked Amaze and Xcent both, but waiting period was tremendous. Hence i took Rapid it was readily available and they provided me lot of free accessories. (This guy considers most of the standard Rapid features as accessories)
Other guy - Hey that's good about accessories. I am also planning to buy a sedan and i fixed that i will buy Amaze only.

Hearing this on the other end i was in situation whether to laugh or cry.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Hilarious! Comparing Amaze & Rapid in same league! But that's how people these days think over.
I would have told them, "Hey. my Xcent comes with one good accessory, Engine!"

Nice discussion folks!!! Coming to my perspective. As a kid, I equally loved both hatchbacks and sedans (maybe the sedans a little more than hatches :stupid: you know - just a littttle bit more). I always thought hatchbacks - Maruti 800 / Alto, Santro, Uno, Matiz were cute and for small families. Sedans were what the rich rode on. And the typical feeling that Sedans means status.

But even then, I quite hated the compact sedans. If you were wondering what were the compact sedans when I was a kid. A few I can remember - Esteem, City, Corsa, Baleno. I thought they were "small" cars meant for people who could not afford a Civic or an Accord or a Corolla or an Octavia or a Contessa which were the real sedans for me (We could afford neither - we were still riding a Chetak) :lol!: In my part of India, people have a concept "Kappal maathiri car" which means a ship like car. Probably that school of thought gave me the impression that only the bigger cars were good cars.

As I was finishing school and entering college, I started seeing bigger hatchbacks which I thought were really superb. They were - Indigo Marina, Baleno Altura, Octavia Combi. I always wondered why these big cars were so rare to see. Then, I did not know that it was a different segment altogether called estates. I still feel bad that we are not having a single Estate option to buy.

That was also the time when the premium hatchbacks started becoming more common and I started loving them more than sedans. (Probably because the market was getting filled with the smaller sedans I hated and the pool of bigger sedans always remained the same). Even though, with C-segment sedans growing in length and style, I am quite liking sedans like City, Ciaz, Vento, etc, the same sentiment continues till date. I hate Compact Sedans and would any day choose a premium hatchback. We have a Swift Dzire ZXi (longer version) but that was my dad's choice and I did not want to pull him back even though I didnt quite like the car.

Coming to the current crop of CSs, they are not doing anything to change my views. Amaze is pretty proportionate, Figo Aspire (from the pics) looks fine too. But Dzire and Zest (side profile) are having a neck to neck battle for the worst ones. I have sat inside all CSs except Zest and Amaze is decently spacious (I am 6' 3") no others are comfortable for me.

That is the only reason I am waiting for the new Jazz - it is sub 4m + has around 370L boot space, extremely practical and looks good too. I dont say that I will never buy a CS, but if I do, that will never be a heart decision.

P.S. We are fighting over sub 4m sedans. Go to US, even cars like Civic, Corolla, Jetta, Focus are considered small cars. Accord, Camry, Passat, Taurus are the big cars there.

Top Bottom