10-Year Old Diesel Cars Banned in Delhi

Thread Starter #2
Re: 10 years old cars banned in delhi

The National Green Tribunal on Tuesday directed the Delhi government to ban all diesel vehicles, which are more than 10 years old, in the national capital.

Last month a bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar had directed the city government to submit the exact number of diesel vehicles plying in the capital and their impact on air quality by April 7.

The tribunal said it was "pained" to note that despite its repeated persuasive and mandatory orders, the aut ..

Read more at:
Green tribunal bans diesel vehicles older than 10 years in Delhi - The Economic Times

It should not be the YEARS that should matter, it should be the amount of pollution that one vehicle create must be the criteria . A 2 year old badly maintained vehicle can pollute a lot than a 15 year old well maintained personnel vehicle .
Stupid decision to please the Auto makers nothing more than that.[anger]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

@maximas - agree with you but then the pollution certificate rule is there for all those cars.
Most people follow rules and those who don't, they don't care or will get fined.

Anyways, even if there is a profit for the auto industry we will get the benefit as well , vaibhav mentioned those points.

Thread Starter #5

But for all other vehicles the PUC should now be abolished

We all know pollution certificate is a comedy by the Govt.
a.wont help in reducing the pollution anyway! as I stated earlier it is not the years which is polluting it is the badly mentioned vehicles.
b.wont remove parking problem definitely the poor aathmi will be cursing the govt and will be on the way to the car showroom.
c.Remove congestion on roads do you really believe that? It is going to be like this ever after! if there is a remedy for that build better roads with a vision of 10 years from now .

I believe a vehicle should be judged on the level of pollution it emits,rather than the life time of the vehicle.As mentioned previously in this post a very well maintained 10year old vehicle will cause less damage than a poorly maintained 2 year old vehicle.

It is another hit on the diesel automobile industry. The SUV age is also over if this comes into effect.
I dont know how a diesel vehicle becomes more polluting when a diesel Honda city burns 1 litre in 22 kms wheres the petrol i10 runs only 11 km in one litre petrol.
Govt should understand that the diesel vehicle is inherently more fuel efficient and should increase the limit to at least 15 years as that of petrol cars, if not more.

Also, people would buy less cars now as the resale value would go down tremendously and it will not be cost effective to upgrade!

Last edited:

India become a rich country? How the government can ban a 10 year old vehicle? Even government want to establish such rule, first let them start with public diesel transports such as trains, buses, trucks and taxis. This will reduce lot of pollution. On the other hand it also implies that within 10 year a vehicle can emit any amount of pollution. Has the rule has been processed for end to end cycle?

Where they will throw the 10 year old vehicle?

Will they sell it other states or neighboring countries such as Nepal or Bangladesh? Are they going to crush all the vehicle or recycle to the manufacture. It would be better, let the manufacturer exchanges the 10 year old vehicle with new one. So that they can recycle the old one.

Any rule / law comes without end to end analysis will fail and lead to corruption. The corruption exists in our country due to inadequate process setup.

Even Singapore is allowing to have 15 years.

Thread Starter #10

So will there be traffic jams in delhi/toll plazas due to checking ?

Will you guys take your 10+ year car out on road [sleep]

National Green Tribunal order: 1.5 lakh vehicles to be affected

The number of vehicles to be affected by the National Green Tribunal (NGT) order is estimated to be 1,18,773 private vehicles and 34,659 commercial vehicles.

Earlier orders on banning of commercial vehicles older than 15 years or even the ban on entry of commercial vehicles inside the city that are not destined for Delhi are yet to be implemented.

National Green Tribunal order: 1.5 lakh vehicles to be affected in Delhi - The Economic Times

NONSENSE.

If the government is too much worried about the pollution. Then there are many other alternatives instead of putting too much burden on to the people.
*The government should make the pollution test Very strict.(Presently anyone can get a fake certificate)
*Engine rebuilt after 10-15yrs/2lac kms from any of the gov authorised service centers.
*Giving more subsidies for the electric and hybrid cars and two wheeler.
*Promoting public transportation.

If banning is unavoidable, then there should be an offer to get 20-30% of the ex showroom price for the old car and the manufacturer should take it back for recycling.

I have a question. Somewhere I read modern diesel engines are less polluting than the petrol engines, Is it true?

Regards.,

The biggest comedy in this drama is , guess what?
THE GOVT IS COLLECTING 15 YEARS LIFE TAX FOR VEHICLES WITH LIFE OF 10 YEARS[lol] . Again the most stupid action by any Govt .

@Kichu
(*Engine rebuilt after 10-15yrs/2lac kms from any of the gov authorised service centers.)
Govt authorized service centers rebuilding my car I would prefer scrap it .I will rebuild it anywhere and let the Govt make the pollution check anyday.

Just laws wont do it should be implemented

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
On Facebook - Delhi traffic police told me that they have not received any such notification

The biggest comedy in this drama is , guess what?
THE GOVT IS COLLECTING 15 YEARS LIFE TAX FOR VEHICLES WITH LIFE OF 10 YEARS[lol] . Again the most stupid action by any Govt .
I believe excess tax will be paid back to the people.

@Kichu
(*Engine rebuilt after 10-15yrs/2lac kms from any of the gov authorised service centers.)
Govt authorized service centers rebuilding my car I would prefer scrap it .I will rebuild it anywhere and let the Govt make the pollution check anyday.

Just laws wont do it should be implemented
The word "Authorised" i didn't mean a service center with gov people as mechanic.[lol]
Here I mean the normal manufacturer authorised service centers which are certified by the government.

Top Bottom