The E-Rickshaws: A Boon Or Bane?

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The E-Rickshaws: A Boon Or Bane?

Friends,

Living in Delhi and the NCR does have its own benefits and at times some issues too. Driving on road is something that we all love irrespective of traffic and bad roads but often we need to take the public transport to reach our destination and that is where the “E-Rickshaw” comes to light as an alternative to the people for public transport.

As it’s said, ‘it’s better late than never’, so among the herd of polluting tempos and 3 wheeler (upon which people hang even to the last available corner of the foot-board) we commuters get the E-Rickshaw that can seat 5-6 people in one time and makes zero emission and not a single noise pollution and proves themselves as an eco-friendly alternative to travel.

However, there is also a major flip side to these E Rickshaws and that being, no permanent registration, a very weak structure overall and in case if the E Rickshaw hits a vehicle, no case seems to be registered as there is no registration number of them.

People do see them as an effective mode mainly because there is so much traffic on road and every mode of public transport here is jam packed with people. Hence, they are left with no options. I have seen people traveling in them and honestly I feel scared seeing its thin structure carrying such load and in case it turns turtle then god knows only what shall happen. For me it’s the most unsafe mode to travel. Here in Noida these E-rickshaws can be found in large numbers near metro stations and bus stops and honestly the drivers of these “E-Rickshaws” are least bothered about them being the cause of many accidents. Apart from that, What I also have observed that there is a tussle going on always between the regular 3 wheeler guys and the E-Rickshaw drivers which I feel is totally non-sensible as in their tussle the person who is most effected always is us, the common day-to-day commuter.

eco-friendly-e-rickshaw-500x500.jpg

DE18_BATTERY_OPERA_1588356f.jpg

This is the kind of E-Rickshaw I am referring to. Looking at the pic itself a lot of things do become clear. Now regarding the E-Rickshaws I have a couple of questions to ask and would appreciate the response;

• How are these E-Rickshaws permitted to ply on roads without any registration numbers?

• Is there any proof of age for the driver’s of these E-Rickshaws?

• What sort of action can be taken against these drivers if he commits an accident?

• Do the dealers of the E-Rickshaws verify the credentials of the buyer at any time?

• Are these E-Rickshaws insured by the insurance agencies?

There have been many attempts to curb this menace by the concerned authorities but none of their efforts have so far been successful in bringing these unaccountable drivers to book. I therefore, would like to know what you all think of the “E-Rickshaw” i.e whether it’s a viable mode to travel or it’s ineffective/ unsafe. Is the invention and availability of E-Rickshaw a Boon or a Bane for the public? If any of you may have traveled in them then do share your experience here.

# Pics from google.

Regards

Akash

There are quite a few E rickshaws plying in suburbs of Kolkata and districts and they are quite dangerous in my opinion. They travel at least at 20 kmph if i am not mistaken with almost no braking power. and the passengers dont have any seatbelt! Mention of a seatbelt in a rickshaw should seem funny to many but I assure you its not. Particularly for people who are seated facing the direction in which the rickshaw is travelling. The rickshaws pick up quite some speed in no time and suddenly they brake and that is when the person seating on the rear seat slides forward or even can fall down from the rickshaw as i found out from my personal experience. And agree with Akash that the vehicles should be registered and the drivers should have some sort of drivers license! And really they should set a speed limiter on these vehicles on not more than 10-12 kmph.

But this being India , I can predict that rather than being organised and controlled , the reverse is going to happen as pretty soon they are going to be a viable "votebank" for the politicos.

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Some important data from google about the E-Rickshaws. Also, a report of Times of India that highlights some effective measures taken to make the E-Rickshaw drivers accountable.

18_06_2014_002_019_011.jpg

Delhi_CITY_Regi_de_2241343g.jpg

getimage.jpg

TOI NEWS

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom