New Export Models From Tata Motors (Reviving Rover Marque)?

Thread Starter #1
With VW, Peugeot and co building/ preparing to build cars in India, TATA needs to begin looking for exports and really needs to look at building cars for wealth western markets. Otherwise TATA could become a footnote in automotive history.

It seems to me that TATA has always struggled to see how it can successful sell a Mondeo/ focus sized car in India and yet this is the kind of car that TATA needs to sell in international markets.

In my view TATA should work on a new range of cars designed primarily for Europe and America. From one floorpan they should build the following:

- A Mondeo sized car (Saloon/ Estate) TATA ZEST >4meters
- A Focus sized car (hatchback) TATA ZEST based Hatchback
- A large MPV Reingineered TATA ARIA
- A SWB MPV

By sharing components costs could be minimised. To get the cars into as many dealers as possible in the West the JLR dealer chain could be used, but only if the Rover brand is used.

In India and in countries where there is a strong TATA presence then it may make sense to use the TATA brand.

TATA needs to sell cars abroad and it needs to establish itself quickly before the rest of the world take on TATA on it's home turf. The JLR dealers and the Rover brand offer TATA a quick win. As long as the cars can match the likes of Honda for quality.

Re: TATA needs exports/ should use the Rover brand

Rover doesnot have a strong brand image either. TATA bought the brand name for use in LAND/RANGE. Without the purchase of the name they couldnt use it. See what happened to MG. MG Rover, before. Now only MG. [;)]

Rover can be revived though. BUT it has to sit along side TATA (if they are too ambitious). OR below TATA (more realistic). Contrary to the popular perception, TATA has a strong brand image, stronger than Rover. Within India and Outside too. Lets not forget, City Rover was a MG Rover not TATA, so the failure of City Rover did not do much to dent TATAs brand value abroad.

Economically. it'll be a huge investment to revive a brand. That kind of investment, TATA can invest in their own products and bridge the gap between JLR and themselves. That kind of investment, can help TATA reach a new level.

Thread Starter #3

TATA bought the Rover Brand not because to use in Land/Rover Land Rover Already have right to use Rover Brand in their Land/Rang series cars Previously when TATA not aquired JLR Rover Marque rights with BMW.

In 2000, BMW sold the Rover and related MG car activities of the Rover Group to the Phoenix Consortium, who established the MG Rover Group at Longbridge. BMW retained ownership of the Rover marque, allowing MG Rover to use it under licence. In April 2005, Rover branded cars ceased to be produced when the MG Rover Group became insolvent.

BMW sold the Rover marque to Ford in 2006 for approximately £6 million, the latter exercising an option of first refusal to buy it dating back to its purchase of Land Rover. Ford thus reunited the original Rover Company marques, primarily for brand-protection reasons.

But Still Rover Brand Have good image in some ASIAN markets even in UK to coming back to City Rover was falure is because its higher pricing but its still in top 100 most Reliable cars list in UK

Last edited:

In India, though Tata is a respected brand, it is still associated with Trucks. Even after the success of Zest and Bolt the general public still associate Tata = Trucks. whenever I have suggested Zest and Bolt, the mention of the word Tata is putting people off.
On the other side, Rover is associated with Land Rover, Range Rover and would instantly be associated with LR and RR. So I think it would be a worthwhile idea to sell premium cars under this new brand name.

I understand reviving a brand will be a costly excercise, but then it can ride on the success of Land Rover and Range Rover and can appeal to the masses instantly.

Thread Starter #5

In India, though Tata is a respected brand, it is still associated with Trucks. Even after the success of Zest and Bolt the general public still associate Tata = Trucks. whenever I have suggested Zest and Bolt, the mention of the word Tata is putting people off.
On the other side, Rover is associated with Land Rover, Range Rover and would instantly be associated with LR and RR. So I think it would be a worthwhile idea to sell premium cars under this new brand name.

I understand reviving a brand will be a costly excercise, but then it can ride on the success of Land Rover and Range Rover and can appeal to the masses instantly.
Not only In india in Overseas markets Rover Fans are Waiting to see Rover Cars and this will helps to JLR presence in world of automobile because they are marginal play when compare with BMW,VW,FORD,GM so by introducing new brands TATA and JLR came have major advantage to expand its globel presence

even if they want means they can launch Lanchester Brand in Commercial vehicle space to catter more space [;)]

Top Bottom