Fake IND Number Plates Now Illegal in Tamil Nadu

Thread Starter #1
The popular "fake" IND number plates are declared as illegal in Tamilnadu by Madras High Court.MVD officials have started to fine vehicles fitted with these “fake” IND plates.

Vehicle registration number plates with letters “IND” which were touted as ‘high security’ number plates for the past few years have now suddenly become “defective number plates,” with police across the State penalising vehicle owners with such number plates.

The police have been checking for vehicles with such number plates in Madurai city and Madurai rural police limits since last Saturday as part of the State-wide drive. While the city police have registered over 300 cases so far, the district police have been booking around 20 cases every day, police sources said.

“We are only carrying out the instructions from Chennai,” a police officer clarified on the sudden drive.

The drive, a police source said, had been carried out to file a counter petition in a case filed in High Court. “Someone has filed a case that these number plates with “IND” were defective in nature violating the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Hence, we are imposing fines on the violators,” the officer said.

The Centre in the past had mulled introduction of high security number plates with a magnetic chip. However, the plan had not been officially implemented.

“But, some people made a replica of the high security number plate only in its look by including the letters “IND” and a hologram,” the police officer said.

“Such number plates are available in the market and also seen in many vehicles for the last three years. Even the police and officials of Regional Transport Offices were not aware of this violation until this case in court,” the officer said.

Interestingly, many of the vehicles of police officers too have the “IND” mark, said the police officer.

Though the fine amount is a meagre Rs. 100, the vehicle owners feel cheated and quarrel with the police. “They claim that as to why the plates were allowed to be sold and what were the police and RTOs doing all these years,” an officer said.

They want the government to give a deadline with a minimum of 15 days to replace such “defective” number plates.
source:Police target

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Coimbatore/unauthorised-number-plates-vehicle-owners-fined/article6828516.ece

Last edited:
Re: Fake IND number plates now illegal in TAMILNADU

They didnt know such plates were sold in the market? And even some of their own colleague's and other Government official's vehicles had these plates.
[lol] This is got to be "Joke of the Universe"

They will come up with a new plan, which would fill the coffins of the person to be favoured.

Old joke, nothing new.

The same happened with Sun films. Their inability / lack of will power to take steps in the right direction to make a safer society, and blamed not having enough light meters and lead a total ban, making the common man suffer.

The funny part, inspite of a ban, these films are still being sold across the country in broad day light. Nothing has been done to take them off the shelves.

The saddest part is that along with the sunfilms the stickers stating that this is a government approved film and has xyz visibilty is also sold at a price with some local accessory guys. when i visited a local accessory shop for my car care prodyct shopping i experienced this first hand.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Not just in TN, over here in NCR-Delhi these IND Plates are in vogue. Some owners write in Blue and some in Red. I know a very close friend who got these "IND" marked European font plates for his Punto. Since his car is bright Red so he got the IND written with Red. Same crackdown needs to be carried out here.

Regards

Akash

Bunch of monkeys sitting high should be given some meaningful job, else they will end up doing all such non-sense and without an option we people will get affected. Couldn't understand what's wrong with those plates (though fake replicas)
- Does it affect read-ability? NO
- Does it use some fancy fonts? NO
- Does it do something wrong to the public / Govt? NO
- Does it affect environment? NO
- Does it add any revenue (Direct / indirect / legal / illegal) to the Govt (or the one associated with it)? NO Got it, got it now. This 'NO' is the reason for current ban. The same plates when sold by Govt (through so called authorised personnel) will become legal in no time. IMO those plates are far better than the painted reg plates of Govt buses (in most cases the paint peeled off and only a part of reg number is visible) I do have the same question, what were they doing these many days / months / years? I'm interested to know under which tree they sat to get this "Gyan" (Knowledge) all of a sudden.

I do agree we should respect the law / rule and the one who question us should stick to those rules on the first hand. How many Govt vehicles are using a different color (Mostly Red / Yellow) for the "G" series (TN xx G xxxx) in their Reg plates? Is that legal? In my understanding it isn't. Be it a personal, public or Govt vehicle, the only allowed color scheme is Black on White / Yellow background. So who is going to pay the penalty of such cases? Govt? So public tax is paid as Penalty to Govt? Doesn't make sense.

Mr. Boss to some extent i agree with you. However the real reason would be in future there will be equipments which would be placed at every junction to stop over speeding, Violation of traffic rules ETC ETC now on these government plates the IND stickers that will be used will have a serial no which will give them the details of your car. That sticker details will be captured by the cameras in the junctions hence its importance. Having said that i too have a replica of such kind of plates. will sure change it once its enforced. this law was brought into light in 2007 where all the new vehicles were supposed to get these IND plates from the showroom itself. But that didnt go through as planned. In other countries the camera captures these details and the ticket will be sent to your physical address and you will have to pay the fine in the courts. This in one way will stop Bribing the cop so its a good step if followed religiously.

Last edited:

Everyone knows that IND number plates are for looks and it is of no use to any security. It is just like any number imprinted on a metal plate.Till the time government doesn't come out with high security number plate there must not be a clamp down.But as per the rule on number plates ,there must not be anything written ,other than the number.

Heights of stupidity in one line...!!

Till they make the so called original IND no. plates available, they could allow the current IND plates as it is.

Because the current ones are a lot more legible and readable than the ones scribbled with fancy fonts.

The ban is simply pointless.

Top Bottom