Newly Launched Tata Cars NOT To Ply in Taxi Segment

Thread Starter #1
In line with efforts to revamp its brand image, Tata Motors has decided that it will not to sell its latest passenger cars to taxi operators.
The company has decided that it will not allow the hatchback or compact sedan, Zest launched last year, to be used as taxis. This is part of its new approach to shoring its brand image
When cars like Dzire from Maruti and Etios from Toyota are plying in this segment the decision by Tata's is right will be proved in the sales figures of coming months.

Tata Bolt(s) the door against taxis for new launches | Business Line

Re: Tata new launches will not ply in taxi segment

Thats a very sensible decision by Tata Motors.

With this, one point comes to my mind that the current existing Indicas, Vistas will remain in production and wil be sold to fleet operators.

Thats a very sensible decision by Tata Motors.

With this, one point comes to my mind that the current existing Indicas, Vistas will remain in production and wil be sold to fleet operators.
Agree!

They should continue to sell these existing ones to the Taxi market but plan to hive them off to a new brand with a new name and sell and service them through the commercial division.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Buddies, Probably we are forgetting an aspect here!

What if a travel agency owner buys a BOLT/ Zest on private registration and uses it for commercial purpose to avoid commercial tax on Taxis.

I know, it is illegal to do so, but, much much earlier than BOLT/ Zest this practice has flourished and that is un-stoppable till now.

However, What I feel is that to cure this issue, a proper profiling of the prospective buyer needs to be carried out prior to purchase. The reason why tour operators run for TATA cars are simply because they are no nonsense cars and extremely practical and certainly within purchasing capacity.

High End tour operators may not even pay heed to such practices, however, majority of small/ medium business tour operators do this.

Also, How many times, can one judge whether a private number Zest/ BOLT is a taxi or not? Maybe 2 out of 10 times only.

Regards

Akash

Buddies, Probably we are forgetting an aspect here!

What if a travel agency owner buys a BOLT/ Zest on private registration and uses it for commercial purpose to avoid commercial tax on Taxis.
Hi friend,

I think here you didn't get the point. Even if such malpractices carried out, TATA Motors wont be having any problem..[lol]

I don't think such less numbers of malpractices will obstruct their efforts to revamp its brand image.
"In line with efforts to revamp its brand image, Tata Motors has decided that it will not to sell its latest passenger cars to taxi operators.".

Regards.,

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I don't think such less numbers of malpractices will obstruct their efforts to revamp its brand image.
I wish the same too. Lets see how the BOLT is received and how far TATA succeeds in their attempts. In my TD review of BOLT, I too mentioned that this car shouldn't enter in Taxi segment else all efforts to revamp shall be meaningless.

Lets wish them the best.

Regards

Akash

This is not going to affect the brand image in any way, because it will have a white number plate!. Also the possible number of such malpractices will be very less (may be less than 1 out of 1000) making it 'rarest of rarest' so not going to reach till Tata top authorities. Heard similar thing about MS Dzire Tour, they will give it for taxi only, but later it was found in private registration as well.

But I am thinking about the legal part here, isn't it as odd as telling we won't sell our cars to people with blue eyes or grey hairs?. :stupid:.
If 2 people comes with equal bundles of cash how they can say we will give it to Raju for his family commute but not to Ramu for taxi.
Isn't it against the fundamental right of equality?. :stupid:

+1

That is my question too. it is the custmers/owenrs preference to register the vehicle as taxi/private.

They couldnt stop this. All they can do is sell the indica/vista/indigo in cheaper price so that most of taxi owners who are price consious will go for these models. If their new zest & bolt has good quality than vista/manza and that models worth the price, then it should come in taxi segment for sure.

BTW, most of the taxi owners/operaters are selecting other company options now and not interested in current Tata products atleast in Kerala.May be due to their custmers preference and also due to reliablity issues. As per some taxi owners, Tata indica & Indigo CS are far more reliable than their Vista initial batches and Manza.I know some Vista qjet, Manza owners who burned their hands and also one of my neighbour taxi owner who still drives his 4+ year old Vista TDi at 330K km without much issues except a turbo replacement.

It is Tata need to think why people/taxi operaters select Etious/Logan/Ertiga/tavera/qualis/innova instead of Indica/indigo/sumo/Arya.

I know many Tata fans here will start attacking for this words, but my words are true. I am not against Tata, even the competiters like Ertiga,Enjoy are also not that good for their kind of run as per the taxi operaters.

Last edited:
I assume Tata just meant they will cut the fleet discounts and other special offers for fleet operators on its new range of cars.
Anyway that won't 100% ensure no yellow plate for Bolt/ Zest, but will just decrease the number of cars sold as taxis.

P.S: It seems Tata is so unwavering about their "not for fleet" decision that they changed even the number plate lights from Yellow to White! :lol!:

Last edited:
Hmmm. Have you seen private owners registering their cars yellow? Well, there are many. Atleast that will stop.
Why?. Tax evasion?.Just to save few bucks (just for the time being) by not paying LTT. Are they happy to live with the yellow plate?. If he/she refuse to ferry a passenger who called him on road he will get caught by the traffic cops for declining the service. Such law breakers with no self respect and ethics should be punished severely!![frustration].

A few more decades TATA have enough cars for fleet Operators indica/indigo/vista/manza they are cheap in maintenance, reliable and VFM

At present 70% sales of indica/vista are from fleet operators only and coming to TATA Manza its best option for fleet operations but TATA priced little bit higher. Base versions is almost 7.20 lakhs on road price and top end priced at 10 lakhs on road price. if TATA reduced the price of the car then it will be good option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the manufacturer actually have a choice here?? The company can decline to sell to fleet operators who buy in bulk (like Meru bought Logans). But if I am a small time operator who choose to buy 1 car at a time and expand my fleet slowly, I can buy any car and register it as a taxi. How can the manufacturer prevent me from doing that?? I have seen almost all brands of cars in Yellow plates from Nano to Ferrari.

A few more decades TATA have enough cars for fleet Operators indica/indigo/vista/manza they are cheap in maintenance, reliable and VFM

At present 70% sales of indica/vista are from fleet operators only and coming to TATA Manza its best option for fleet operations but TATA priced little bit higher. Base versions is almost 7.20 lakhs on road price and top end priced at 10 lakhs on road price. if TATA reduced the price of the car then it will be good option.
Like Indica/Indigo, Manza was not cheap to maintain or reliable. Within the 80K -100K km owners had to change n number of spares and the car had so many issues.You just read the Ownership reviews in TAi itself. If this is the situvation with Private owners you just think about Taxi operaters. I know some of the owners who ready to sell this car due to the daily issues but not able to sell due to to the low resale value.
This was the case with Vista earlier models. Most of them sold their cars within first 3 years ownership.

Last edited:
Like Indica/Indigo, Manza was not cheap to maintain or reliable. Within the 80K -100K km owners had to change n number of spares and the car had so many issues.You just read the Ownership reviews in TAi itself. If this is the situvation with Private owners you just think about Taxi operaters. I know some of the owners who ready to sell this car due to the daily issues but not able to sell due to to the low resale value.
This was the case with Vista earlier models. Most of them sold their cars within first 3 years ownership.
I agree some of your points but reliable issues about this car depends on how they maintaining their cars because personally i have seen some cars they are most reliable never faced any issues one of my friend using TATA MANZA for fleep operation the car already marked 1Lack kms but still its working fine still now he never faced any major issues

Top Bottom