Just back from the test drive. Some points -
1) Test drives are given not by sales executive of that particular dealership but by "Mahindra Customer Relationship Executives". These executives are appointed by the parent company (Mahindra) & are stationed across various dealerships. This is to avoid any inconvenience to the cutomers.
2) Test drive slot was for half an hour but the executive was kind enough to give me a half an hour test drive followed by 15 mins of trying out all the features.
3) I test drove a Red W8. The dealership had 4 XUVs (silver, grey, red & white) and all are provided by the company.
4) Most importantly
, the Customer Relationship Executive is there for a purpose. After every test drive, he asks the customers to jot down their feedbacks. He is of the opinion that the feedbacks are in the process of being incorporated in the coming models. As per him, when the bookings open, deliveries will start only by March-April & those cars will be the "refreshed" versions. As per him, the most awaited feature is a sunroof. He confidently told me that the glare on the windscreen because of the shiny centre console will definitely be eliminated in the newer version. Feedbacks which I gave were -
* Put the middle row on rails so that the third row can be usable
* Give reliable electronics
5) the executive informed me that aftermarket alloys can be fitted on the W8 as the tire pressure sensors can be swapped.
6) It did play video files (.avi format) from my USB easily. But only when the car is stationary.
7) The executive was clueless about reverse camera. he informed me that Mahindra has not yet provided that accessory but it will soon be available along with rear parcel tray. So, provisions have been given.
8) Loved the 'opulent purple' colour, it is very different from what we see in pics. Looks a little brownish. best colour for XUV followed by grey, IMHO.
Coming to the test drive,
I drove for approx 15 kms this time. I did not find any abnormality with the clutch. Infact, I was trying hard to notice some fault, but it was just normal for me. The test drive route was awesome, in simple words. Straights, bends, inclines, dirt track, it had everything!
On straights, I took the car till 120 kmph. It was effortless. Initially I did think that it did not have the surge of the Scorpio but it was when I looked at the speedometer, that I realized that I was doing speeds higher than what i thought to be!
The road had some nice bends which i took at 60-70 kmph, some sharper bends needed me to brake. Roll, yes its there, but not too much to disturb or scare the passengers inside. it was well controlled.
On inclines, the mHawk motor pulls & pulls & pulls. tried the hill hold feature, works well. no worry of engine stalls anymore.
next was the braking while coming down the slope. It not at all bad, it comes to halt in a perfect straight line but yes, for a car with disc brakes all around, it could have been better. I felt braking distance could have been better.
Finally, the dirt track. it was actually a path (i wont call it a road as there was actually no road!) leading to a village. full of bumps & craters. I did not try any high speed driving on this terrain as it could have been dangerous as well but at normal speeds, the ride seemed pliant. yes, I felt it to be better than the innova. there was no hard rocking or bouncing.
Originally Posted by mukeshus
Check the ride quality, do check the Hill descent control and its behaviour.
Check whether video plays different formats like avi, mp4, mkv formats through pendrive.
And do check whether video plays on the move.
Check the behaviour of cruise control, like does it feel the power through cruise control is more.
What i feel in my Scorpio is the sudden extra surge in acceleration, or the acceleration is smooth.
Answered all your questions above. Sadly, could not check the cruise control. Was too engrossed in other things.
How long GPS takes to asess the direction, when switched off and on.
Originally Posted by Surfer
Please check NVH at all speed ranges, body roll, if possible 3rd row ride quality (bumpy ? etc...)
Engine noise is good if compared to the Innova. Bad if compared to the Cruze! I found it to be silent & not a big issue at all.