Hey friends, I went to the nearest Mahindra showroom today to check out the XUV500, here are my first impressions -
1) The car really feels special. The moment you sit inside, it feels like a much more upmarket & has a luxury feel, unlike what its price suggests.
2) Unlike mentioned in reviews, plastic quality of the dash, door pads, etc is similar to the innova.
3) There are a lot of special touches & attention to detail abound in the cabin, a few which i can recollect are mentioned below:
a) the glovebox has a damped release, like in VW Passat!
b) Even when you leave the spring loaded grab handle, it has a damped release!
c) Right from the twin gloveboxes to the box below the centre armrest to the storage box on top of the screen, all storage spaces are felt lined !!!
d) Even the interior door handles have a soft rubber base finish on the insides which gives a premium feel when you hold it.
e) The way the tools are neatly arranged in the boot, it deserves an applause.
f) When you turn on the ignition, the central infotainment display shows a nice graphic to welcome you. Touch screen is good & responsive. However, I dint try the GPS because I dint drive the car.
g) Mood lighting (red LEDs) is amazing... its best experienced than read. They have lighting behind interior door handles, below it focusing on the bottle holder below & on the roof.
4) Third row seating is better than Aria but not as good as Innova. The middle row does not have rails.
5) Third row occupants have got their own AC vents & AC air volume control!
6) This car actually has cornering lamps! Superb!
1) Bonnet does not have an hydraulic lift.
2) LED DRLs are not actually DRLs!
I started the car & revved it till 3000 rpm. This is the same sweet mHawk engine & has the same characteristics. However, I felt engine noise to be lower than the Scorpio.
Listen to this , when you turn on the ignition, both the speedometer & tachometer swing all the way to top speed & redline respectively & come back, like in superbikes! Fancy yet sweeeeet ! Wish I had a video to share. When you start the car, this excercise is repeated once more... get set whooosh...
First, the exteriors:
Unlike in the pics, the car manages to look really well in flesh. It looks very mean & brawny head on & has that edgy design theme all over. Its hate it or love it styling. I "like" it!
Significant points -
* The external door lock is an eyesore.
* Twin rear washers, so total of 4 water jets!
* LEDs are not actually DRLs but they are parking lights/city light/evening lights! When you turn on the LEDs, the rear lamp also turn on.
Notice the cornering lamps!
* Love this detailing on the bonnet.
* Tail Lamps look smart.
* Foldable key
* The gem - 140 bhp mHawk
Interior shots to follow...