Tata's New Car on Nano Platform: The Pelican

Thread Starter #1
Tata Motors' next from Nano factory to take on Maruti Alto | Business Standard News
The Nano did not take off the way Tata Motors would have liked, despite aggressive pricing and Rs 4,000 crore of investments in development, marketing and a dedicated plant at Sanand in Gujarat. But the company, India's largest automaker by revenue, is looking to recover some of the cost incurred on the Nano platform. The plan is to develop a slightly bigger hatchback at the Sanand factory, to take on the Maruti Suzuki Alto, India's top-selling car.The new car, code-named the 'Pelican', is being developed on the 'X302' platform, an upgraded version of the Nano, Business Standard has learnt from several industry sources. To be powered by two new engines - a one-litre petrol power engine and an 800-cc diesel engine - the car is expected to hit the road next year."The bigger car will be sold under a new brand. Its diesel variant, the cheapest diesel car in India, will later be exported to several other markets," a source said.Another added: "Tata has given its suppliers a modest sales target of about 2,500 units a month. That is a realistic number, and good for suppliers, considering the company is trying to make a comeback in the car market."Responding to emailed queries from Business Standard, a Tata Motors spokesperson said: "We do not comment on future product plans."To gain from economies of scale, the 'Pelican' will be manufactured at the Sanand factory, along with the Nano. The plant, which has an annual production capacity of 250,000 units - about 20,000 a month - is currently able to manufacture only about 1,300 Nanos a month, given an extremely low demand for the car.Gaurav Vangaal, senior analyst for light vehicle forecasting at IHS Automotive, said: "The Nano, with its frugal engineering tag, always had the burden of carrying the flag high, not only for Tata Motors but India's manufacturing sector. It is good that the story is not yet over. The entry-level segment is a key market in India and the success of such a product, along with others like the Zest, will be important for the future of Tata's car portfolio."On Friday, Tata Motors' shares declined 1.29 per cent from their previous close on BSE, to end at Rs 525.60 apiece.The Nano, launched in 2009, was a dream project for Rata Tata, the then chairman of the Tata group. He wanted to make a car for the masses and kept his promised price tag of Rs 1 lakh at launch, hoping to encourage motorbike owners with families to make a shift. But the car has proved an extremely hard sell; the Nano's sales volumes in April-November 2014 stood at 9,919 units, down 26 per cent from a year ago.The Maruti Alto, which the 'Pelican' hopes to challenge, sells about 24,000 units a month. The sales of the Hyundai Eon, another likely rival, currently stands at about 6,500 units a month.Tata Motors' overall domestic passenger vehicle sales, in volume terms, have declined sharply over the past few years. During the April-December period of this financial year, these fell 11 per cent on a year-on-year basis to 92,227 units.But there have lately been some encouraging signs; in December, Tata Motors' sales rose 30 per cent over a year ago, to 12,040 units, mainly on account of a good response to the newly launched Zest. This month, the company is launching the Bolt hatchback, the first in a series of launches scheduled for the next two years - the others to come include the Nexon, a compact SUV; the Kite, a small car to replace the Indica; and upgrades to the Safari Storme SUV.NOT SO NANO •The car will be powered by two new engines - a one-litre petrol power engine and an 800cc diesel engine •To recover some of the cost on the Nano plant, Tata Motors might manufacture the new car along with the Nano at Sanand •The Sanand plant, which can produce about 20,000 units a month, currently makes about 1,300 Nanos monthly because of low demand
Smart move by Tata Motors, IMO. This could give big headache to Suzuki Alto.

Last edited:
Re: Tata's new car on Nano platform- The Pelican

One more cheaper and unsafe car in out to come in Market. Why India people do not understand the safety of family and friend while travelling.

Buying a fancy box with 4 wheel and 4 seat is not a car at all. In US and European countries car with such specification is not allowed to launch even though they have much safer road and traffic rules.

@TAI Admin: I think through TAI we can spread message for safety by setting some ground rule to buy a vehicle.

One more cheaper and unsafe car in out to come in Market. Why India people do not understand the safety of family and friend while travelling.

Buying a fancy box with 4 wheel and 4 seat is not a car at all. In US and European countries car with such specification is not allowed to launch even though they have much safer road and traffic rules.

@TAI Admin: I think through TAI we can spread message for safety by setting some ground rule to buy a vehicle.
How can you say that it'd unsafe car without any knowledge dude [surprise]

Its to early to comment on the pelican.

but Agreed to your point that Govt should have stringent regulation around the car approval in Indian market.

Well, how can a business unit overlook 30000 strong car market MoM basis? I dont think people are here to look at safety standards. all they want is economical car which gives high mileage. Otherwise do u think tin boxes from Suzuki would have sold so much?

again these companies have an option to put Airbags so as to declare the vehicles safe. How much does an Airbag help when car itself is structurally not strong. Who will tell these things?

Its not a new thing the most of the suzuki cars in accident have become a ball of thrash. They get disintegrated beyond recognition. Still they sell 100,000 vehicles per month. You have market which is why they sell.

Last edited:

@ amit the Omni one of the longest and largest selling vehicle of maruti. what is the safety in there. just a rod in front where the dash sits.
2.) Maruti 800 iconic homely car of every individual , Safety measures None.
3.) Maruti Swift LDI & VDI no safety, no airbags
4.) Dzire No safety
5.) Santro Hyundai's bread and Butter of India, No Safety
6.) TATA Indica No safety( though i would say steel is better than maruti and Hyundai any given day)

in such a scenario Indian auto industry itself has to be banned for no safety.
Not every one India can afford fully loaded cars. given their price. The reason i listed out these cars is because these were the vehicles sold in large number in India. at least 75% of India own or have owned these vehicles.

@GB Reddy . i think that definitely would not be the final product. however i wish .i really wish if this is the final product i would sell my Nano's and go for this, Blindly.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope that the PELICAN coded car will have a front engine. Main reason for dislike of the Nano is rear engine and unopenable hatch. Other reason in the engine sound which according to be is not a big issue which is blown out of proportion.

I think this will be a new engine but draws heavy cues from the 1.4L XETA engine initially used in the Indica and later in the Indigo XL in the MPFI 16 valve twin cam with a Turbocharger Intercooler add-on. The engine was a 1396cc, 4-cylinder, 4-valves, DOHC, Petrol engine delivering 101PS@6100rpm, and a torque of 124Nm@3500rpm. This block might be all aluminium but a cyl chopped t0 make it a 1040CC engine.

Alternatively it can also be a Nano engine with a cylinder added to make it a 934CC unit.

Last edited:

You are absolutely correct ofcourse!
But in the country called India e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g is allowable. People have concerns that Omni is an unsafe car which is true but on the roads where autorickshaws are allowed to ply at speeds of 50 kmph , compared to that Omni seems very safe indeed. In spite of having personally seen or known people injured in auto rickshaw accidents we still use them daily. Even if the government makes it mandatory for all cars to have abs and airbags by 2017 (and not earlier [roll])as suggested , then they should also ban autorickshaws from travelling on main roads and limit speed to 25 kmph. But its safe to assume that it wont happen. India will remain a land of contradictions and no amount of legislation is going to change that in the near future.

I sincerely hope that the PELICAN coded car will have a front engine. Main reason for dislike of the Nano is rear engine and unopenable hatch. Other reason in the engine sound which according to be is not a big issue which is blown out of proportion.

Alternatively it can also be a Nano engine with a cylinder added to make it a 934CC unit.
If this is front engine car means then TATA donts its based on NANO Platform because NANO platform is made for rear engine mount body styled car so if they change platform desing from rear engine mount to front engine mount. The development cost this car will increase dramatically and the mount spended on nano platform will loose so TATA wont let down their platforms they are masters in how to use existing platforms

I think this will be a new engine but draws heavy cues from the 1.4L XETA engine initially used in the Indica and later in the Indigo XL in the MPFI 16 valve twin cam with a Turbocharger Intercooler add-on. The engine was a 1396cc, 4-cylinder, 4-valves, DOHC, Petrol engine delivering 101PS@6100rpm, and a torque of 124Nm@3500rpm. This block might be all aluminium but a cyl chopped t0 make it a 1040CC engine.
Coming to this 1.0L 3cylinder motor i dont this so this motor is derived from 1.2L Revotron motor by choping 1cylinder.

we can safely guess that this new 3cylinder 1.0L engine will be a all aluminium 3cylinder version of nano 2cylinder 0.6L motor

Last edited:
Its really funny to see, suddenly after seeing a report on a Tata car, people predicting it as an unsafe car.[lol]
Who knows if this will be the safest car in the 2-4 lac bracket. I strongly believe, in whatever way TML try to save cost, they will not save on body weight by using thin plates.[:)]
Why can't you guys wait to see how the car comes out in future and then comment on its safety ?

RE configuration !! I don't know how people will accept it. Hope for the best[:)]

Tata is on a launching spree it seems. The best thing is, they are going to be in news more frequently and hence more publicity. Win win situation both way.
Talking about the Pelican's engine, I would expect a tweaked Nano's engine with atleast 45PS/60NM configuration sans the noisy exhaust. That will do a hell lot of good to TATA.( I have personally known people rejecting Nano based on the Exhaust Note itself.)
Interestingly tata is pitting
1.Pelican against Alto
2.Kite against Celerio
3.Bolt against Swift
Any thoughts on Wagon R!!! [;)]

Tata is on a launching spree it seems. The best thing is, they are going to be in news more frequently and hence more publicity. Win win situation both way.
Talking about the Pelican's engine, I would expect a tweaked Nano's engine with atleast 45PS/60NM configuration sans the noisy exhaust. That will do a hell lot of good to TATA.( I have personally known people rejecting Nano based on the Exhaust Note itself.)
Interestingly tata is pitting
1.Pelican against Alto
2.Kite against Celerio
3.Bolt against Swift
Any thoughts on Wagon R!!! [;)]
dude pelican's engine is all new 3cylinder 900cc or 1000cc motor derived from nano's 624cc 2cylinder motor

dude pelican's engine is all new 3cylinder 900cc or 1000cc motor derived from nano's 624cc 2cylinder motor
Ohh. I missed it. Any ways, I was just saying, the Nano's engine is potent enough to be tweaked higher and used in a proper hatchback. They dont need an All New platform. An added cylinder would be a boon though.

Top Bottom