Quality of Spare Wheel Should Be Same As Other Wheels: Consumer Forum

Thread Starter #1
Something interesting.
Pathanamthitta District consumer Redressal forum has ordered Honda dealership to provide the spare wheel of same quality w.r.t other 4 wheels (alloy wheels to be specific with this case)

Couldn't understand why the dealer is troubled here? Isn't it the vehicle spec from OE? So the case should have to filed against the OE (Honda here) right?
PATHANAMTHITTA: Pathanamthitta District consumer Redressal forum has ordered that four wheeler dealers giving spare wheel of a different quality to its customers is not a legal.

The forum’s significant order came in response to a complaint filed by an NRI P E Lalachan against Honda car distributor Kottayam Vishan Honda. When the four wheels of the car was made of alloy, the spare wheel given to him was allegedly a steel one. The complainant had questioned this dealing of the company.

The court observed that giving spare “steel” wheels for a car that cost more than 11 lakh rupees could not be justified. The company is obliged to give five wheels of same quality to the consumer and no dealer has the right to act against this standard.
The forum chaired by Advocate Jacob Stefen and comprised K P Padmasree and Shela Jacob ordered the dealer to give a spare wheel to Lalachan that matched with the quality of the other four wheels of the car sold to him. The dealer was also asked to pay Rs 10000 compensation and Rs 1000 as court expense to Lalachan.
Source

Atleast that they gave steel rim of same size, for fiat linea they give 14 inch spare wheel while other wheels are 15inch.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
^^Are you sure about this ? Don't think it's possible to drive like that. Or do you mean the profile is more so the height becomes equal ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
^^Are you sure about this ? Don't think it's possible to drive like that. Or do you mean the profile is more so the height becomes equal ?
Though the rim diameter is different, overall diameter will be maintained same with a larger aspect ratio. This is quite common, I have similar situation with my Sunny as well.
On the other hand, my Linea (with 15" steel wheels) had same spec spare wheel and earlier Honda City ZX vtec had all 5 alloy wheels.

Thread Starter #6
Atleast that they gave steel rim of same size, for fiat linea they give 14 inch spare wheel while other wheels are 15inch.
"Cost Cutting" bug bite Fiat aswell (why not?)
Pre 2013 Emotion models came with all 5 alloys. The same is applicable for Honda also. City ZX vtec had all 5 alloys.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
lol what about BMWs and the Audis which don't give any spare wheel at all!!
Rollerdude u nailed my point was about to say the same thing
Those cars who are not having a spare wheel, will not be liable to adhere to this norm.[:)]

Up-till now, I was aware of BMW not having a spare wheel! Thanks for telling me that even Audi doesn't have one.

My neighbor has booked an A3 out of pressure and impulse. He will be banging his head after hearing this![frustration]

Regards

Akash

Rollerdude u nailed my point was about to say the same thing [;)]
lol! Got the first comers advantage! [;)]

Those cars who are not having a spare wheel, will not be liable to adhere to this norm.

Up-till now, I was aware of BMW not having a spare wheel! Thanks for telling me that even Audi doesn't have one.

My neighbor has booked an A3 out of pressure and impulse. He will be banging his head after hearing this!
Regards

Akash
Am not sure about Audi, but BMWs don't have spare tires. I had heard somewhere that atleast two of the German Trio don't give spare tires, one is BMW other one may be Audi or Mercedes. I have always wondered how do people drive BMW's around with no spare tire. What would they do in case of a puncture, a bulge etc?

Thread Starter #13
lol what about BMWs and the Audis which don't give any spare wheel at all!! [lol]
Those cars who are not having a spare wheel, will not be liable to adhere to this norm.[:)]
Here is what the regulation (specific to India) says

Spare Wheel is not Mandatory when the vehicle is equipped with Run Flat tyres and a Tire Repair kit.

Top Bottom