Volkswagen Polo GTi (192 PS) Bookings Open in India (Pg.3)

Thread Starter #1
Volkswagen india mulling hotter polos for car enthusiasts here.A news from autocar india website says that VW india is goung to launch GT or GTI series in india.What makes VW fans happy is that,these GTs are powered by 150bhp(GT) and 189bhp(GTI) powertrains.India may get the GT, or the really hot GTI that does 100kph in 6.7sec.The 1.4 TSi used on the new GT currently also powers the base Skoda Octavia, and a slightly de-tuned version of the 1.8 TSi can be found under the hood of the larger 1.8 Octavia too.

There are chances of CKDs or CBUs.There is no information regarding this.Autocar also says that even if these cars are partly assembled here,would cost upwards of Rs 17 lakh:suspect:

vw-polo-gti-2011-1.jpg
vw-polo-gti-2011-2.jpg

SOURCE:Volkswagen mulling hotter Polos for India | Car News | Import hatchbacks | Autocar India

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: VW to launch POLO GT(150 BHP) or GTI(189BHP) in India

Autocar also says that even if these cars are partly assembled here,would cost upwards of Rs 17 lakh:suspect:
Hari, A 17 Lac Hatch, that too a CKD mode, will be too pricey. At present Polo Costs around 10Lac which makes it a premium hatchback and if a upgrade of POLO comes that too with a straight increase of approx 7 lac in India, I doubt it to sell as good as its present cousins here.

There have been instances in India, where a good car took a beating just because of the price.

Regards

Akash

Re: Volkswagen To Bring Polo GT (150 BHP) or GTI (189 BHP) in India

VW begins testing the Polo GTI. Spotted in Pune, looks really Hot & Tempting.

The Polo GTI is powered by the same 1.8-litre TSI engine found under the hood of the Skoda Octavia and the power rating is even higher standing at 190 BHP which helps the car propel from 0-100 km/hr in an impressive 6.7 seconds. The engine is mated to the 7-speed DSG transmission which means the torque output might be restricted to 250 Nm.
Source - Volkswagen Starts Testing Polo GTI In India, Launch Soon? | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

VW's aim of launching the Polo GTI is not to sell it in big numbers but to position it as a halo model in the German car makers line-up alongside the iconic Beetle.
An estimated Rs. 17 lakh price tag for a car , since this car seem to be fully imported.
Globally the Polo GTI is sold with either a six-speed manual or a 7-speed DSG gearbox but its likely that India will get the automatic version, which is the trend.

Polo GTI India launch as of now but its likely a Diwali 2015 introduction .

VW India on track for Polo GTI launch | Car News | Import hatchbacks | Autocar India

I see only one serious flaw other than price here!

Front wheel drive with rumored 190 or anywhere near that & a few thousand kms & pot holes later your going to experience alot of torque steer meaning steering pulling left or right under acceleration. We have seen this in cars running anywhere above 100bhp, noticed this in the 174 bhp Passat also.

Great on an VW enthusiasts point of view, a VW car with high performance is good news, but selling it at 17 lakhs with Polo branding will make it a little de moralising with enthusiasts IMHO.

Today had been to VW showroom. After all formalities, just casually asked the SA regarding any plans about the Polo GTI launch. He promptly said, although it's under consideration it may take at least 5-6 months minimum to launch it. Also asked him which engine will be offered, he clearly said that in case its 1.4 TSI it will be only offered in Manual avatar while if it comes with 1.8 TSi, then DSG will be the default choice. I will not fully believe his words. So lets wait & watch then.

This is good news, but the 17 Lac price is simply too high. Not for the value on offer, but for the design and look of the car. C'mon who will spend 17 Lacs if he can have the same design at 5 Lac (+ some upgrades).

VW took the risk by bringing in the GT twins at a high price tag, but bringing this GTI is taking it too far. I don't think it will be successful in India, one can plonk in some more Lacs and have a fun to drive sedan or the mightly SUVs we have on offer. Will wait for the launch to see the sales.

And I can predict many enthusiasts de-badging and re-badging their Polos to resemble the GTI, with changed bumpers, alloys, etc.. VW has gone too far now and bringing a car similar in size to the Elite i20 at almost 7-10 Lac premium for the extra power and gadgets (who cares? See the sales chart of Elite i20 Petrol Asta) and to top it all, it is not exclusive. Every other car we see on the road is a white Polo! [lol]

Last edited:

I doubt this 17 lac price tag. Why so? This engine and gearbox are direct plug and play from Octavia TSi. If VW opts not to provide 6 Airbags and keeps the entire kit exactly same as that in GT TSi with slight added frills like better alloys, wider rubber and a bit more of then also a hike of 4 lac can be well justified.

But yes, just like GT TSi; the GTi will also find the buyers because even VW is also not targeting the mass market for this car. They want driving enthusiasts to pick the GTi, mostly the buyers will be the ones buying it as their third or fourth car for weekend fun and hence I won't be surprised if VW still manages to sell the GTi in lower two digit figures per month.

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hurray!
The prices aside, Indian Enthusiasts can finally land their hands on the proper Hot-hatches!

The absurd 17 lac prices comes due to infamous Indian Taxes and customs. I am sure if the parts are locally made, prices can be brought down to 11~12 lacs.

Polo GTI - 3 ddor version to be launched in Sept 2016. 4 door version to come later.

Expected at a 20+ Lakh as it takes the CBU route.

0_468_700_http___172_17_115_180_82_ExtraImages_20160125013052_GTI_3door.jpg

Souce: ACI

Polo GTI - 3 ddor version to be launched in Sept 2016. 4 door version to come later.

Expected at a 20+ Lakh as it takes the CBU route.
Souce: ACI
20+ lac for a hatch [surprise], however powerful it be is too hot. It cannot make good numbers like Merc's small hatch ( which is actually larger than all our Indian hatches!!!)

Top Bottom