Own a White Color Car? Beware of Thieves

Thread Starter #1
Got a white car?... more chances are of it getting stolen.
Auto thieves in Delhi stole around 86 vehicles every day in 2014, around a quarter of them cars. They seem to prefer working weekends to week days and show a preference for specific colours — different for cars and two-wheelers — though whether this simply reflects the higher availability of these colours is a moot point.
CAJ3XWGK.gif
Got a white car? Beware the weekend - The Economic Times

Re: Beware if you have a white car

More white cars get stolen because there are more white cars on the road than blue or yellow cars. I do not think car gets stolen because of its white colour.This type of biased thinking is called " denominator neglect".

Also during week ends cars tend to stay parked (home, mall, cinema etc.) rather than under use- so makes it easy to steal . Even car thieves do have a week job so may be out to steal cars on week ends [:)].

The media headlines always try to prime us in to biased thinking- sad is not it?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

White Car is stolen more not only because of their major road presence, but also due to the fact that White shade is the easiest to re-paint/ change color upon since White is the base color. For Thieves maybe the least expensive color to hide is White so they go in for these vehicles.

Regards

Akash

Friends,

White Car is stolen more not only because of their major road presence, but also due to the fact that White shade is the easiest to re-paint/ change color upon since White is the base color. For Thieves maybe the least expensive color to hide is White so they go in for these vehicles.

I always thought thieves steal a car that is available and easier to steal rather than choosing a particular colour and then trying to break into it.

Perhaps one of our fellow TAIGERS can gather data and work out Correlation Coefficient between colour of the car and likelihood of it getting stolen . That will probably give us some valid findings.

Lot of stats can be made like this.

Cops catch a lot of white colored cars followed by grey
Most cars which needs a vist to petrol pump/garage are white color ones followed by grey
therefore white colored car are gas guzzling and repair prone...
Most accident vehicles are white colored cars followed by grey
and so on....

This simply shows that white is most preferred color among buyers followed by grey.

Kudos to ALL posters so far. Views are point blank and hilarious too (ram123), though I concur more with aysrinivas - thieves like the "car of least resistance the most". Here's my summary from all above:

• White cars sell more in number.
  • There's a certain percentage of owners doing a mistake (like not locking, window down, no security measures, inviting accessories / valuables etc) irrespective of Car's Colour.
  • Then there's a certain probability of a thief finding out THAT.
  • White Cars get stolen more.

PS: Mine is white too. About a month back, when I checked with my Service Advisor about installing a gear lock, he almost fell down from his chair laughing. Reason he gave: w/o that key (i.e., chip inside the key fob) it is not possible to start a Verna. Me currently worried and [confused].

Top Bottom