Toyota Etios Airbags Not Deployed in Accident

Thread Starter #1
I am taking this news from FB , since the post asked to share in socail media am putting the same. Hope it will adhere to forum rules.

"Airbag didn’t deploy? It’s because car didn’t collide properly!!!!

When my boss, Mr. Anil Nair bashed his Toyota Ethios car head-on at the Ernakulam-Alleppey highway, he suffered injuries and his co-passenger was hospitalized for 2 weeks.

When he informed hisToyota dealer that Airbags did not deploy, their reply was, “It’s because you did not collide properly”. !!!!

Mr.Anil Nair then asked them, ‘Then how must I collide for the airbags to function propertly? How can I trust this vehicle again?’

Hope they will also give training to bang cars right so that air bags get deployed.

I am requesting you to forward it so that by the power of social media, it will get noticed by the Toyota officials. And they will take the necessary steps to ensure safety."
see the pics attached. Hope toyota will come with good excuse

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Toyota Etios Air Bag Didn't Deployed

That is the dumbest reply ever heard. A few days back, a Fortuner owner got 25 lakhs from Toyota because of exact same incident. Airbags didnt deploy at driver side. Now, Etios. Who knows, how many will come to limelight soon.

I thought Toyota recalled cars in India especially to rectify this issue, but this is bad from their part. I mean, look at the collision and if an Airbag didn't opened for this, then for what kinda impact will it open?

Akash1886

Honoured Member

When he informed hisToyota dealer that Airbags did not deploy, their reply was, “It’s because you did not collide properly”. !!!!
Man this statement made me laugh like mad[lol]. Is it needed that the car must go beneath the other vehicle in order to activate the airbag sensors Toyota?

Hope they will also give training to bang cars right so that air bags get deployed.
I want to know the hiring policies of Toyota first! How can such foolish remarks be made by a representative of a reputed auto-brand? Utterly stupid!

see the pics attached. Hope toyota will come with good excuse
The sub-standard airbag equipment to Toyota is likely supplied by Takata which has been in news recently. No wonder it had fixed defective equipment in this car too.

If this impact is not enough to deploy airbag then should the car fall from hill to deploy it?[frustration]

Link

Regards

Akash

This is such a bad reply from Toyota !! Please ask your boss to complaint and take this issue further.
If the air bags are not meant to save life whats the use of having one in the car.

such a pathetic reply iam having a etios and a etios cross at home hope they don't meet the same fate

hey guys just wanted to know. I heard that for an airbag to function it requires the seat belt to be on. This was said by the spokesperson of Toyota when an MLA"s car was crashed and the air bag wasn't deployed and the reason given was no seat belt was worn. Is this TRUE. Also for the airbags to open the front crumple zone has to be damaged so that the airbag sensors which are placed there will activate. so may be the TOYOTA GUY meant that in order to activate the airbag the frontal crumple zone has to be damaged thus the reply you did not collide properly:biggrin:

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

hey guys just wanted to know. I heard that for an airbag to function it requires the seatbelt to be on. this was said by the spokesperson of toyota when an MLA"s car was crashed and the air bag wasnt deployed and the reason given was no seatbelt was worn. Is this TRUE
Yes even i heard that

hey guys just wanted to know. I heard that for an airbag to function it requires the seat belt to be on. This was said by the spokesperson of Toyota when an MLA"s car was crashed and the air bag wasn't deployed and the reason given was no seat belt was worn. Is this TRUE.
100%.

Airbags will not deploy if the seat belt is not worn. Airbags are a supplementary safety device to seat belts.

Imagine if a person who is not wearing seat belts - he is thrown forward in the event of a crash and at the same time, an Airbag shoots at his face in the opposite direction. Worst case, his neck can snap leading to death. If the accident does not, the airbag can kill him.

Seat belts do the correct job of restraining your forward movement in this case.

I see a big crack and bulge on the windscreen on the passenger side. Which means someone must have hit the windshield from the inside. This in other words mean that he/she was not wearing a seat belt. This maybe the cause for the airbags not deploying.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

hey guys just wanted to know. I heard that for an airbag to function it requires the seat belt to be on.
I see a big crack and bulge on the windscreen on the passenger side. Which means someone must have hit the windshield from the inside. This in other words mean that he/she was not wearing a seat belt. This maybe the cause for the airbags not deploying.
I agree with Raj. Here are couple of images that show how seat belts and airbags work in tandem.

graphic-occupant-l.jpg

crash.gif

picture2.jpg
However, with the above statements being said, it can't be denied that there is a chance of a faulty equipment as well.

Link

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

definetly the fact that there might be a malfunction isnt ruled out. but im a person who's mindset is before complaining about something make sure all the other things are in place. that's the sole reason i discussed it. also there is a saying which says when you point a finger at some one there will 4 fingers of your hand pointing towards you.so first make sure we are doing all the right things and even then there is a problem only then say the other one isn't right.

Thread Starter #13

Even i am not sure , whether he was wearing the seatbelt or not.
from the pic it doesnt look like co passenger wore the seat belt.

But what about the airbag for the driver seat? It should have worked atleast. Did I miss something in the pic or the posts?[roll]

"It’s because you did not collide properly" May be he should've taken reverse and banged again with full force to be safe. [lol]

Also for the airbags to open the front crumple zone has to be damaged so that the airbag sensors which are placed there will activate.

Top Bottom